Floater Suit Idea/Question

leighfns

Firstly I recently bought an arctic armor suit and am really pleased with it (my build is not condusive to the other floater suits on the market as I am 5'6 and 190 well mabye more like 5'5 and 200).

This may sound silly however, I often have company up at my place and was wondering if wearing a life preserver underneath an over sized winter jacket would be ok while ice fishing.

Have any of you ever tried?

It would keep you afloat but it wouldn't offer the protection from hypothermia that a floater suit does. In having tight ankles and wrists etc. the floater suit will act like a wetsuit, limiting the amount of water exchange from inside the suit and outside of it. This allows your body to heat up the water inside the suit, keeping you warmer than you otherwise would be.

With that said, I'm sure a life jacket would be better than nothing and offer some pretty good insulation outside of the water as well.

I agree with 4thGen about the in the water performance of what you are suggesting. I also think that this might not work all that well on top of the hardwater either. If you have to, see if you can find some extra brunteuse lifejackets to wear over and on top of your cold weather gear.

Hey, how do you like the Arctic Armour suit? I'm really thinking about getting one to replace my old mustang. They look great, but are they tough enough??

The PFD is better than nothing, but if your out there when you need to be wearing a PFD, you shouldn't be out there IMO. A float suit will bring you to the surface, but you still have to get out, and make it back to shelter. If there is a risk of going thru the ice, stay off it!!

Sinker

I agree with 4thGen about the in the water performance of what you are suggesting. I also think that this might not work all that well on top of the hardwater either. If you have to, see if you can find some extra brunteuse lifejackets to wear over and on top of your cold weather gear.

This is true. An anti exposure suit (floater suit) will give you aboot 3 hrs. in 40*F water, with just a PFD you'll only have about 10-20 min. before you lose consciousness... but you will have an hour or 2 (maybe more) before you die.

Hey, how do you like the Arctic Armour suit? I'm really thinking about getting one to replace my old mustang. They look great, but are they tough enough??

The PFD is better than nothing, but if your out there when you need to be wearing a PFD, you shouldn't be out there IMO. A float suit will bring you to the surface, but you still have to get out, and make it back to shelter. If there is a risk of going thru the ice, stay off it!!

Sinker

Haven't had a chance to try it out... Initial thoughts are as follows

1) Seems very warm.

2) Very comfortable.

3) Looks well made.

4) Looks like there is no chance that this thing would make you float but apperently it does...

It would keep you afloat but it wouldn't offer the protection from hypothermia that a floater suit does. In having tight ankles and wrists etc. the floater suit will act like a wetsuit, limiting the amount of water exchange from inside the suit and outside of it. This allows your body to heat up the water inside the suit, keeping you warmer than you otherwise would be.

With that said, I'm sure a life jacket would be better than nothing and offer some pretty good insulation outside of the water as well.

As far as I know most of the floater suits that people buy also do not protect against hypothermia. They probably only delay the process for a few minutes..

The difference with a floater suit is that the insulation does not soak up water. So it still insulates when wet or even submerged in water.

The next best thing would be to wear a life jacket with a water proof layer that does up tight around wrists and ankles.