Quinte Ice Fishing- Where?

tschirk

Quinte is such a larch body of water. Any suggestions where to try ice fishing there? I am thinking of taking my sled & portable hut so Ic an get to most places?

What is the best way to ice-fish walleye there?

Many Thanks,

Ted

It'll be a while yet before the bay is good to go I imagine....then some time after that before the best spots are safe. Keep an eye out for Hawg Hunters reports. He has a couple secret spots that ice up pretty quick, and reports as soon as it's safe to get out. I think he guides day trips out there as well.

If you're heading out with a buddy or whatever, i think they were doing well off big island last year.

-R-

i went out with hawg hunter last year, great guy would recomend him to anybody. i only landed one fish that day but lost 3 more. the one i landed was around 10 lbs so i was pretty happy! use heavy action rods with heavy pound test line like 15 lbs plus. and big spoons like oversized swedish pimples, or hopkins smoothies.

Use to go to Quinte very often on the ice. The earliest date was Boxing Day in the 1990's.

As others said the ice is sketchy because of currents. The green buoys, or channel markers on west side of Belleville

were always a good start early in season. Long Reach area always produced as the ice thickened.

Emerald shiners on a silver Swedish Pimple worked off the bottom seemed to work.

Good Luck,

ehg

holly fellas my heads gonna swell up :thumbsup_anim: ,no really thank you for the vote,but the guys are right theres no ice yet but ill let you all know when shes good to go.

heres a few good lures to use up this way

1-hopkins spoon 2 1/4" silver

2-little cleo c-200(i think its the most popular size bought anywhere) blue/silver green/silver both hammered

3-3" sidewinder made by acme green/silver smaller sidewinder works well to

4-silver williams plain finish 2 1/4" 3"works ok as well

all here who have come with me before (and theres been alot of you )know i use 50lb test megnathin but i use a stick not a rod

if i was using a rod id have 15-20lb test for sure.

hope this helps all that come to enjoy this fantastic fishery

oh by the way our walleye count last year was 752 yep no misprint.

taker easy all and stay dry

Hawg Hunter