JB's rod sale, St Croix, Shimano

Wild

Prices for many things are dropping like a stone..... So how can Shimano justify raising prices even more? Not to mention that when the dollar was low before they were one company who shafted us in Canada BIG TIME and when it was at par they did the same thing only worse?

I know a lot of members love their stuff but can anyone dispute that Shimano have been price gouging all the way along compared to what you pay in the U.S.A.?

Canadian prices are going back up (to reflect the exchange rate) check out the new 2009 LeBarons on line catalog,

Shimano is not alone in in this "Gouging" game, I have had the same experience with St.Croix, even when our loonie was at par with U.S dollar the difference was more then 25% compare to U.S prices (at least @ BPS) :rolleyes:

I E-mailed and asked for the reason, never did get a satisfactory answer, it was some B.S about Canadian warranties etc. :blahblah1:

Canadian prices are going back up (to reflect the exchange rate) check out the new 2009 LeBarons on line catalog,

Shimano is not alone in in this "Gouging" game, I have had the same experience with St.Croix, even when our loonie was at par with U.S dollar the difference was more then 25% compare to U.S prices (at least @ BPS) :rolleyes:

I E-mailed and asked for the reason, never did get a satisfactory answer, it was some B.S about Canadian warranties etc. :blahblah1:

I never got any answers either. I do know that for the most part Shakespeare and Pflueger kept things pretty similar in price but I haven't seen the new prices for next year at LeBarons.

I decided when I didn't get a satisfactory answer about the gouging from Shimano to swtich to companies. I have to say so far I am very happy with everything I purchased too.

Just to give you a heads up Canuck2fan, Shimano is the only company that I know of to offer a limited lifetime warranty on 5 different rod models. Convergence, Clarus, Compre, Crucial and Cumara ranging from $69 - $200+. There is a lot of value in these rods. The better part is that the warranty center is local, Peterborough and usually takes less than two weeks or better yet you can drive out there and handle it.Most stores will even swap over the counter on higher end rods. I have waited up to 4 months for some of my warranty rods from other very reputable companies. The Cumara's are just over $200 depending where you shop and they are IM-10 with SIC guides. Other companies charge well over $300 for product that isn't even as high a modulus or have the same guides.

The price increases will be just about across the industry due to the US dollar fluctuation, nothing else. I don't think that "gouging" is a great word to choose when describing companies trying to price their product. Remember that the market sets the price and if anything, Shimano is well within the limits of pricing if not below average for the product.

Just my 2 cents

JP

Just thought I'd clear up some info on the sale at JB's Fishing Depot. . . .

THERE IS NO SALE

I was at JB's today and asked Steve what rods were on sale and he looked at me like I was on crack :wallbash::wallbash:

I'm not sure where Wild got the info about the sale, but JB's has no sale going on according to Steve.

Hope this help everyone from driving down with expectations of getting a rod on sale :)

The price increases will be just about across the industry due to the US dollar fluctuation, nothing else. I don't think that "gouging" is a great word to choose when describing companies trying to price their product. Remember that the market sets the price and if anything, Shimano is well within the limits of pricing if not below average for the product.

Just my 2 cents

JP

The "gouging" is with regard to the HIGHER percentage we ALWAYS have been expected to pay over the U.S. price regardless of the exchange rate. From pricing many different fishing companies Shimano is the worst in my opinion so I decided to stop supporting that by no longer buying their product. If people think there products warrant paying such a premium (which they do because it keeps happening) they should knock themselves out buying them.

forgive me Wild - I mis-read your fisrt post.. Yes certain rods are marked down in price, you are right. I thought you had said that JB's was having a sale on rods LOL

sorry for the confusion

but the topic title does say JB's rod sale - i think that's what made me think you were saying that JB's was having a sale on rods. They just reduced prices on certain rods to make room for the new ones coming in.

Cheers,

but the topic title does say JB's rod sale - i think that's what made me think you were saying that JB's was having a sale on rods. They just reduced prices on certain rods to make room for the new ones coming in.

Cheers,

If they've ...."reduced prices on certain rods to make room for the new ones coming in"....wouldn't that be considered a sale ?? :dunno:

Sorry you feel that way Cannuck2 fan, I really have never noticed that and probably most others as well since Shimano is still the highest selling rod and reel in Canada by leaps and bounds. A couple of things to consider when you see a price difference from the US, volume will improve a stores discount and Canada doesn't have the sales that the US does, the other problem is that since Shimano products are made overseas, they also deal with duties and brokerage fees to get them here unlike companies like Quantum and Shakespeare that are US based, a fluctuating dollar doesn't help either. When the prices didn't go down immediately, people cried foul even though booking orders were done at a higher rate... a little unreasonable on the consumers part if you ask me. In the end, Shimano only suggests a MSRP... it's the stores that set the final price unlike companies like Sage who set the market and retail price for their dealers. I have seen Cumara's that have almost $100 difference, that's also why we as consumers can try to find the best deal amongst the dealers. Are car manufacturers any different? How about electronics or chain store furnishings, even Walmart has a huge difference between US and Canada.

Some people are willing to spend $50 in gas to save $60 and some are willing to pay more for the convenience of having everything in one stop... to each is own I guess.

In the end, Shimano only suggests a MSRP... it's the stores that set the final price

Last spring I bought a Calcutta TE 400 from JB's for $385

For comparison, I checked BPS in the States and they wanted $515 for the same reel.

Made me happy to shop in Canada ;)

Last spring I bought a Calcutta TE 400 from JB's for $385

For comparison, I checked BPS in the States and they wanted $515 for the same reel.

Made me happy to shop in Canada ;)

BPS Vaughn sells the TE 400 at an outrageously high mark up, although BPS has a $100 off sale price JB's still sold it for less. As many already know Brian and Steve do take care of their customers.

I special ordered a 7 ft one piece Compre which neither BPS or Lebaron would do and Steve still gave me a great deal.