A Wintry Day Steelheading Today!

solopaddler

Short report as I just walked in the door and have to get my gear ready for tomorrow (strike while the iron is hot as they say :) ).

Once a year my uncle joins me when his ailing back will allow him to.

He's the man who got me started steelheading almost 30 years ago, and these trips are always special ones for me.

Of course he picked a brutal weather day to do it: high winds and heavy wet snow all day long made for some tough conditions.

We stuck it out though, and while unfortunately my uncle didn't land any (he lost a few though) I managed a bunch of nice fish.

Almost all came on the jig today, not surprising since the river was teeming with shiners and the fish were keying on them.

Many strikes came the second the jig hit the water before the float even cocked.

Oak001.jpg

Oak003.jpg

Oak005.jpg

Oak007.jpg

Oak008.jpg

Oak010.jpg

Oak011.jpg

Oak013.jpg

Oak015.jpg

Oak016.jpg

Oak017.jpg

Twas a good day!

Cheers, Mike

awesome as usual!

Really wish I had the flexibility to hit the river when I know it will be good, rather then come home when I can and fish. Seems like when I get home its either gin clear or Im busting through 3 inches of ice to get a drift!

it just occured to me that those fish are really dark for this time of year...

Is that normal for the river you were on? I have never caught a fall/winter fish around here with that much colour, they usually are mostly silver with pink cheeks.

...that said I SUCK at steelheading in the late fall.

bring on february!

it just occured to me that those fish are really dark for this time of year...

Is that normal for the river you were on? I have never caught a fall/winter fish around here with that much colour, they usually are mostly silver with pink cheeks.

...that said I SUCK at steelheading in the late fall.

bring on february!

Always a good number of both darker and more chromy fish in most rivers this time of the year.

Just the luck of the draw...

Just read what I wrote in your last gazillion reports...insert same thing here....LOL.

Great to spend time with your uncle...I'm sure he had a blast out there with you regardless of the numbers caught.

Cliff, I think we need to team up and make a gigantic super report with hundreds of steelhead caught in one day so we can make Mike jealous of our unbelieveable steelheading skills for once, and not just our charming good looks.

Cliff, I think we need to team up and make a gigantic super report with hundreds of steelhead caught in one day so we can make Mike jealous of our unbelieveable steelheading skills for once, and not just our charming good looks.

You're on Kemper! You in town this weekend???? LOL.

Oh and for the record, early this past spring, I did outfish Mike...I promised not to tell anyone, until he laughed his a$$ of at me for almost being blown into the creek from the 50kph winds that day....haha.

You're on Kemper! You in town this weekend???? LOL.

Oh and for the record, early this past spring, I did outfish Mike...I promised not to tell anyone, until he laughed his a$$ of at me for almost being blown into the creek from the 50kph winds that day....haha.

In fact I am..but those finals are nagging at me...of course they dont start till tuesday....

I will be sneaking out for a fish, probably saturday morning.

__sorry for the hijacking solo

Edited by kemper