Umbilical Hernia Surgery

Radnine

Hi all,

Has anyone had surgery to repair a small umbilical hernia?

I am wondering about the recovery time. I have the surgery booked for the 18th of December, and am wondering if I will be on my back through Christmas (as My wife fears) or I’ll be up and merry in a few days.

Thanks.

Jim

I was up and around the next day. Can't do a damn thing work wise (lift/riveting/etc) for about 6 months though.. and even with that wait I blew it open again soon after (while sitting in a desk chair doing the payroll !)

Hope you're going to the Shouldice Clinic !! I didn't and regret it.

http://www.shouldice.com/

Edited by irishfield

I was up and around the next day. Can't do a damn thing work wise (lift/riveting/etc) for about 6 months though.. and even with that wait I blew it open again soon after (while sitting in a desk chair doing the payroll !)

Hope you're going to the Shouldice Clinic !! I didn't and regret it.

http://www.shouldice.com/

PM sent

I was at shouldice beggining of october and was up and around as soon as i left the place. mind you no lifting and heavy work for 6 weeks but i was also fishing the next weekent after being out. You should be fine for xmas.

bb

Yes I can vouch for this man jumping river banks like a jackrabbit, two weeks out of the hospital !!! I hear the first deuce you drop after the surgery is something you will never forget until the day you die :asshat:

Guest lundboy

I went to shouldice a year ago in July. Was awake through the whole thing and was up and walking same day.

Best place to go. You just have to pay for your room if you don't have semi coverage. OHIP covers the rest. Like someone else here I was fishing the next weekend.

I hear the first deuce you drop after the surgery is something you will never forget until the day you die :asshat:

I am still laughing as I write this, even though I now have something else to think about :unsure:

Thanks to all for the advice and the kind wishes!

Jim

Just read thru the Shouldice website and you don't even need a DR. Referal to go there instead Jim. ! Walk in for examination with NO appointment necessary or mail in the forms you can print from the site and they'll book the exam and surgery for same day! Wish I'd know that before I let the new surgeon that came to town tackle mine !

And as for the first "deuce"... not sure where that's coming from as they're not working on the intestine/bowel etc.

Edited by irishfield

I always had a belly button that stuck out a bit. Anyway, I developped a hernia just above the belly button. Had an operation and within a year, I had another hernia just beside the one I had before. Had another operation and it's still not 100%. Yes, you will be on your feet real quick.

Yes I can vouch for this man jumping river banks like a jackrabbit, two weeks out of the hospital !!! I hear the first deuce you drop after the surgery is something you will never forget until the day you die :asshat:

LMAO LMAO you need to stop you kill me my face hurts.

I can vouch about the dookie issue. Problem with Shouldice is you cannot be overweight in the slightest. They maintain the procedure may not work if you are a FF. They will weigh you and if you are outside of the formula they recommend this nasty diet involving lots of melba toast. Suffice it to say-it was done in Montreal...........I hate melba toast. Also,recovery is longer for ff's as well. The spinal epidural was real cool tho'. Was trying to will my toes to wiggle and no dice.

First of all Radnine...Good luck with your surgery! Rest easy because it will be over and done with before you know it.

I went to Shouldice in May 2007 on several people's recommendations. They told me I had a Indirect inguinal hernia. Check out there little animated picture of its progression. I felt like I had a sausage in my sack. Now they don't take appointments, its first come first serve.I filled out the sheet they gave me and sat there for 4 hours...guess I picked a busy day. My cottage neighbor in Bobcaygeon who has the same hernia as you wasted a whole day down there. 14 hours from the time he left Bobcaygeon until he got home that night. And this is just for the consult. Anyway I waited 4 hours for the guy to look at me for 3 minutes and tell me to leave and come back when I had lost 30LBS. The thing is I had just lost 97LBS !!!! I was in the best shape I had been in for over 25 years and they wanted me to lose 30LBS more? I had gave myself...in my mind anyway...the hernia by going to the gym and working too hard at losing the weight. But now I was not going to the gym because of the hernia, so I was not losing anymore weight. I stewed for a whole year and because I still was inactive actually gained back some weight. In May 2008 I said I have to go to plan B. Went to a local surgeon in Oshawa recommended by my family doctor. A 10 minute consult with no damn wait because I had an appointment. Had laproscopic surgery done on Sept 5. I have 3 scars. The biggest one is 1 inch long. Shouldice will leave you with a nice 4-7 inch gash. Which do you think will heal better/faster? I was 80% back to normal in 3 days and after a week...though I was still taking it easy...I felt I was 100%. Laproscopic in my mind is the only way to go, and Shouldice does not embrace this type of surgery. As a matter of fact I do not think they will do it at all...too old school.

Also I have a co-worker who had his hernia done at Shouldice. They did the pure tissue surgery on him. He has had nothing but discomfort since. Apparently according to him some of his nerve endings have got tangled up in his muscle tissue...neither of us are doctors so please don't jump on me for this discription...but he says because of this he gets little aches and painful twinges quite frequently.

Now I'm not trying to scare anyone away from Shouldice, because I know of way more people who have had results that they are very happy with from there experience there. I am just trying to point out that in today's world of modern surgery you can get outstanding results from a local surgeon if you do a little homework. Shouldice has an outstanding reputation. I'm just not sure it truly is any better then dealing with a good local doctor/surgeon. And if you are a little heavy they will not touch you, where as a local surgeon will.

If you have any questions Radnine just PM me. I will be happy to help if I can.

Edited by crappieperchhunter

Shouldice doctors use a certain "technique" that is apparently unique to Shouldice. They pride themselves on how few of their clients have relapses.

That would be the pure tissue surgery. They actually weave your muscle tissue together so when it heals you have no "hole" for the hernia to pass through. Other surgeries like laproscopic put a mesh in there to block things up.

Having gone through this hernia thing I have drawn the conclusion that its like baking a cake. All chefs have there way of doing things and none of them are wrong if the customer is happy with his cake. I just found through personal experience that Shouldice is not the be all and end all of Hernia surgeries like so many people believe it is. It's overwhelming reputation has carried it well beyond what it actually is...in my opinion.

At Shouldice meet your weight for sure....guy in my group got sent home to California...ten pounds over. Also, sign up as a vegetarian....helps with the constipation from the drugs and the procedure. I didn't - so drove home, drank whole bottle of prune juice, wife arrived to find me sitting on can, holding the remote watching TV.