Float fishing main line

KelfuN

I've been using 10lb siglon V as my mainline for steelheads so far this year....and my spool is starting to run out..im thinking of trying ande lines or raven lines.

just wondering what lines you guys use for steelheads in the winter?

I run the raven (grey) in 10lb and have been thoroughly impressed with it. Chose that color since it blends into the waters I fish when they are clear and low.

I actually found I had better results (more hits in clear water) than when I ran siglon (yellow), I dont run a shot line just main --> leader, which could contribute to my findings.

siglon F 10lb gold/yellow color ..... Raven come's in a 1000yd spool @ the same price as most lines with 330yd spools for a reason ;) ...Sorry to bash it as a lot of guys luv the stuff it seems, but the factory Raven rep told me himself when he saw me pick up that 1000yd spool off the shelf... "put it back down , and pick up the siglon !! I rep them and get it for free, and still don't use it :whistling: " ....Never tried it and probably never will after that reliable source gave me his honest opinion...

Edited by JDMLS

siglon F 10lb gold/yellow color ..... Raven come's in a 1000yd spool @ the same price as most lines with 330yd spools for a reason ;) ...Sorry to bash it as a lot of guys luv the stuff it seems, but the factory Raven rep told me himself when he saw me pick up that 1000yd spool off the shelf... "put it back down , and pick up the siglon !! I rep them and get it for free, and still don't use it :whistling: " ....Never tried it and probably never will after that reliable source gave me his honest opinion...

Ironic thing is I've never had a positive experience with Siglon lines apart from their leader material and now exclusively use either Raven or Maxima (8-10). I've tried a few different spools of Siglon in lb tests ranging from 6-12lb. I found it didn't matter about the breaking strain of the line, all of them suffered from poor knot strength and poor abrasion resistance - To put things in perspective, I was breaking 10lb mainlines bringing in 6 inch baby rainbows (or at least trying to). Had every conventional knot break - from simple clinch and blood to trilene, grinner and polomar - And yes I do lubricate my knots. Odd bad spool? Perhaps but I bought their lines over the last 6 years from various local retailers. Definitely put me away from Siglon lines. Been using Raven since 2002 and in terms of performance consistency, I've never had any noticeable problems with any of the spools other than if you go below 6lb on a centrepin, you'll find it stretches and digs in.

I've been lured into trying Siglon on more than one occasion because so many guys swear by it.

Never again. Frankly imo it's garbage. Never have I used a mainline that consistently broke above the float like Siglon LOL!

It has terrible abrasion resistance, and is just too limp too effectively run on a centrepin imo.

Each to their own though :whistling:

Best performing line and value for your dollar is 12lb Raven in the low vis green, it's great stuff.

Drennan Super mono in 8lb is incredible if you can find a source, but pricey.

3 pn combo's here

1 has ande 8 tournament on it and I swear by it have had some tanks beached abrasion and castability are mint...

2 has sigalon 12 on it and it fishes ok until around 2 in the afternoon when line twist comes into it, not very abrasion proof and sorta feels like rope IMO but its a bigger water stick that has ultra green as a leader and if its floro its 10 lb

3. trilene sensation in 8lb...only been on it for 1 trip so I cant really give it a fair shot but it did beach fish, had no line twist and floated pretty nice I will fish it tomm, maybe even today ( if I can get the motivation)

3 pn combo's here

1 has ande 8 tournament on it and I swear by it have had some tanks beached abrasion and castability are mint...

2 has sigalon 12 on it and it fishes ok until around 2 in the afternoon when line twist comes into it, not very abrasion proof and sorta feels like rope IMO but its a bigger water stick that has ultra green as a leader and if its floro its 10 lb

3. trilene sensation in 8lb...only been on it for 1 trip so I cant really give it a fair shot but it did beach fish, had no line twist and floated pretty nice I will fish it tomm, maybe even today ( if I can get the motivation)

And the line holds up to several uni-knots tying segments together :clapping::lol:

I spoke with the Raven rep today and that he told me that he only runs Raven Main Line on his float reels (and never ever told anyone to purchase a different line). Not only that, but one of his customers landed a 54lbs Chinook in Alaska using Raven Main Line - and any line that can take that kind of abuse has to be awesome!

I find it funny how things can get posted on the internet and be taken as the truth when it really boils down to a bunch of crap. I've fished all kinds of lines in all kinds of conditions and I find that in the WINTER nothing beats siglon F, but raven fishes fine until the temp drops. :clapping:

PB030428.jpg

I spoke with the Raven rep today and that he told me that he only runs Raven Main Line on his float reels (and never ever told anyone to purchase a different line).

You caught me :rolleyes: ....Cause there is only one raven Rep in all of Ontario, and he's your best fishing pal :wallbash: (insert huge sarcastic smiley face here) . The guy who said that to me is a raven field tech /rep who is also a member of this board....But you new that already I am sure :clapping: ..thanks for calling your Raven Rep buddy and looking like a total idiot asking him such a question...LOL

Not only that, but one of his customers landed a 54lbs Chinook in Alaska using Raven Main Line - and any line that can take that kind of abuse has to be awesome! .....

I can drag in a dead Chinny on Raven too :blahblah1:

I find it funny how things can get posted on the internet and be taken as the truth when it really boils down to a bunch of crap.

I only speak the truth on this board, maybe with a little smack :whistling: sometimes but , never do I lie..... Never did I say the Rep who told me is the know all of steelheading, but I took his word for it.... Take it as you will

Nice CARP , thanks for coming out .....

Edited by JDMLS