Lake Nipissing Fishing Report

Clampet

Saturday Jan 20 2007 10:00 Am went out and verified that there was between 3" to 5" :o of clear blue ice on the Sturgeon River on Minihaha Bay, which is close to our OFC site owner TJ's home! :)

Because it was -22 C, :o we decided to wait till 3:30 PM b4 going back to fish. This way we would avoid standing around all day advertising our presence to other would be ice anglers, and also spare our fingers and toes from the fridgid temps. I'l tell ya, it was difficult for me to be patient that long. I just wanted to get out there, but waiting made sense.

So we headed out.

ArrivalMinihahaBayNipissingJan21200.jpg

Here is a pic of the open river in the background, under the train tressle, look familiar TJ? ;)

TrainTressleSturgeonRiver.jpg

Chopping a hole through 4" of ice was very easy with a standard ice chisel. We also used an 8" auger, which required 12-13 turns of the handle to bore through :mellow:

4inchesonMinihahaBaySturgeonriver.jpg

While there we were entertained by some cowboy coming up the open river with one of them fan boats, who proceeded to propel himself onto the ice and head for the boat ramp where 3 hopefull anglers were waiting. Unfortunately the jet boat got stuck when it got close to the landing. It took them till dark to get unstuck, and make his way back from whence he came.

JetBoatstuck.jpg.

Me:

JedonMinihahaBayNipissingJan2120070.jpg

Between the 3 of us, I was the only one who caught our only Walleye for the afternoon, a nice 15.75' er, that was exactly below the slot size (16 inches). My buds were glad that I caught it, since I travelled so far.

16inWalleyeMinihahaBayNipissingJan2.jpg.

Well, that's it.

Have to say it was pretty exciting to see my friend Peter Potvin tied around the waste with a rope, with Charly Desbois walking 20 feet behind him, while Peter checked the ice with the ice spud every 10 feet or so. I brought up the rear :blush: .

Interesting, too, was the fact that the ice got thinner halfway to our destination (2.5") because of the river current in Minihaha Bay. By the time we got to wher we fished, the ice was about 4-5 ".

Thanks for the report and pics Clampet.

Nice that you got out, but walking on 2.5 inches of ice is just a wee bit too adventurous

for my liking. I actually don't venture out on foot unless there's at least 5/6 inches and

I usually follow someone who is heavier than me. ;)

Thanks for the report and pics Clampet.

Nice that you got out, but walking on 2.5 inches of ice is just a wee bit too adventurous

for my liking. I actually don't venture out on foot unless there's at least 5/6 inches and

I usually follow someone who is heavier than me. ;)

I hear ya Carp. I really don't care to take them kind of risks, but my friends are more into the scene since they live up there.

I can remember years ago being in a truck on 8", and on 4" with a Yamaha ET 250 snowmobile.

Nice fish... You must have been the guys that I looked down from the bridge at at when I drove by and warned my kids not to ever immitate. A week before.. they were slaying the pickeral... from boats... theres alot of current in there. I worked for a summer at the marina at the dock when I was a kid (when we had one there). My brother in laws brother fell off that railway bridge and died in there... and one of my best friends younger brother died when he got caught in the undertow right up river from those pictures... personally I avoid that area like the plague... I'm glad to see you didn't got to close to the edge.. ice thickness is tricky there because of the current from the dam.. I've seen guys 20-30' from the edge last year..

I won't be on the water up here for at least another week... I remember the day you were out though. nice and cold!!

Tell Charly I said hi!!

My brother in laws brother fell off that railway bridge and died in there... and one of my best friends younger brother died when he got caught in the undertow right up river from those pictures...

Tell Charly I said hi!!

TJ I did not know about that mishap, I am sorry to hear that.

I just got off the phone with Charly, and they went back today and got three more Pickerel, about the same size, 14-15".

nice report thanks for sharing man!!.... hey notice the fan boat says "rescue" on it ?? also has the federal government badge sounds like they were the ones in need of rescue! LOL

Gerritt.

Edited by Gerritt

Joey,

B4 returning, I brought my wife there since it was very accessible.

She is very fearfull of water, :o but I coaxed her out onto the ice for a short walk so she could see where we checked the ice thickness. Of coarse by then those holes had frozen over. B)