THE ICEMAN COMETH! UPDATED 20th and 21st NOV

limeyangler

Hi Y'all,

Went shore fishing with a young buddy yesterday. Since winterizing my boat last weekend(thanks to those that have posted all the good info on that subject) it was shore fishing. As the young lad only gets to go fishing when I take him i left it up to him where we hit the shore....Eagle Lake it is then....lol. Here’s some pics of our couple of hours.

WE GOT TO 'BEAR NARROWS' AT 2:30PM, ABSOLUTELY FLAT CALM AND BLUE SKIES....BUT COLD, -5

j1.jpg

AFTER 5 MINUTES MY BOBBER DISAPPEARED........LITTLE JACKFISH (snake)

<embed width="448" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" src="http://i263.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid263.photobucket.com/albums/ii158/vishuscirquel/j2.flv">

NO BITES FOR ANOTHER HOUR AFTER THAT....BUT WE HAD FUN WITH THREE WHISKEYJACKS WHO WERE PARTIAL TO MY WIFE'S HOMEBAKED COOKIES

j3.jpg

j5.jpg

j6.jpg

<embed width="448" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" src="http://i263.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid263.photobucket.com/albums/ii158/vishuscirquel/j7.flv">

j4.jpg

BECAUSE OF THE LACK OF BTES, I SWITCHED OVER TO A JIG, CAST OUT A FEW TIMES.....GOT THIS BABY JACKFISH (used pink jig....inspired by GCD'S post)

<embed width="448" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" src="http://i263.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid263.photobucket.com/albums/ii158/vishuscirquel/j8.flv">

AS THE SUN STARTED TO SET.....WE WERE NOT GETTING ANY BITES, BUT IT WAS KINDA COOL WATCHING THE ICE FORM IN FRONT OF OUR EYES

j10-1.jpg

j11.jpg

j12.jpg

j15.jpg

IN A LAST DITCH ATTEMPT....I TRIED A GLOW FLOATING JIG, WAS REWARDED SOON AFTER WITH A SMALL WALLEYE AND MISSED 2 MORE BITES

j14.jpg

BECAUSE OF THE BITES.....WE STAYED LONGER....BUT TO NO AVAIL.

j16.jpg

ON THE DRIVE BACK.....I LOOKED OUT AT ONE OF A COUPLE OF SMALL LOCAL LAKES....LOOKED FROZEN

j17.jpg

WENT BACK TO CHECK THAT LAKE THIS MORNING.....YUP....SKIM ICE!!!!!!!! ICEFISHING IS ALMOST HERE!!!!!!! :thumbsup_anim::thumbsup_anim::thumbsup_anim:

j18.jpg

j19.jpg

PRITCHARD LAKE 1KM DOWN THE ROAD WAS ALSO STARTING TO ICE UP......THERE"S SOME NICE WALLEYE IN THIS LAKE...GOT M PB PIKE FROM HERE TOO

j20.jpg

j21.jpg

Well, that was it. Not the most spectacular days fishing, and boy was it cold. The best thing was seeing Wesley enjoying himself, the scenery......AND ALL THE ICE THATS APPERING ON THE LAKES....I ABSOLUTELY LOVE ICEFISHING!!!! CANT WAIT...3 WEEKS NOW I RECKON!

16th NOVEMBER UPDATE

Well last week was a bit of a pain...I reckon if the temps had not gone into the + range i would've been out today drillin holes instead of typing.

But things are looking up ;D, the weatherman is predicting sub zero to minus 7-8 range day, going as low as minus 17 (centigrade) at night all this week....... and the ice we lost last week is back and some.....in fact Flambeau Lake up the road from me never lost its skim all during the warm spell...so should be good to go Tuesday week...if not already....but i prefer to be cautious for obvious reasons...no walking out on 1 1/2 " for me thank you very much.....lol.

OUR SHORELINE MONDAY LAST WEEK

s7.jpg

s10.jpg

OUR SHORELINE TODAY

rbay-1.jpg

rbay.jpg

PRITCHARD LAKE MONDAY LAST WEEK

j20.jpg

PRITCHARD LAKE TODAY

pritch.jpg

FLAMBEAU LAKE LAST MONDAY

j19.jpg

FLAMBEAU LAKE TODAY

flamb.jpg

So......gonna brave Flambeau Lake next Tuesday afternoon with a buddy, gonna wear my boat pfd and go slow....but with the temps predicted should be a go.

Only problem is I’ve never fished Flambeau before and have no idea if there are any fish in it...lol. I think there probably is ....but the fact it has frozen so quick, and stayed frozen makes me wonder how deep this lake is, as its less than 1 km away from Pritchard and Pritchard is not safe to even think about yet despite being pretty much in exactly the same as Flambeau in geographical position/ same shape/ same amount of shelter etc...etc...

17th NOVEMBER UPDATE

Thats more like it, in the minus teens at night now, its dark out but the main lake is starting to go...its just the wind during the day keeps beating the overnight ice back....not long now.

MY THERMOMETER TONIGHT 9:30pm 17th NOVEMBER

IMG_2281.jpg

19th NOVEMBER UPDATE

The last 2 nights have been cold, its also been around minus 8 degrees during the day, last night it was nly minus 10 but no wind....so the skim of ice started to extend out to the main lake from our bay. When i got up this morning the view was very incouraging....ice all the way out to the main lake, and even the howling 25km wind was not shifting any of the ice formed last night.

I went to the garage and tried firing up my jiffy ice auger...lol...i just hung it up 25 April, no fuel stabiliser or wipe down......i was a bit worried it was not gonna go...but around 6 pulls later she ired up...better clean her up a bit before i start to use it for another season.

ICE ALL THE WAY....... ALMOST.......VIEWS OF THE LAKE 12:30pm 19/11/08

IMG_2285.jpg

IMG_2286.jpg

IMG_2287.jpg

STILL A FEW HOLES AROUND THE ROCKS

IMG_2288.jpg

I TOOK A SNOW SHOVEL AND INCHED MY WAY OUT.....I GOT AROUND 10 FEET OUT WHEN I HEARD THE ICE CRACKING.....LOL>>>>MOVED BACK TO SHORE...VERY SLOWLY

IMG_2290.jpg

IMG_2289.jpg

20th NOVEMBER UPDATE

I had just been down to look at the ice and was back reading the forum when i stumbled upon iceslayer's first ice adventure off the dock....that was it! I was off down the yard to the water again.

This time i had my ice picks, garden fork as a spud bar, and the only life jacket i had not already in storage....its a bit small for me. I was in such a hurry to get down there i was wearing my wife's neckwarmer for a hat as i could not find mine....lol.

Just seeing iceslayers post convinced me there was enough ice to fish on, but alas there was not. I inched out, with a rope tied to shore and my belt buckle, got about as far as i did last time and started hacking with the fork. It only took 2 or three wacks to draw water, so i fired up the auger and yup, i was only standing on 1 1/2" MAX...lol.....back i went. Did not take the camera....but my wife snapped a pic of me on the return...she's still makin fun of my outfit...lol

ITS CALLED HAUTE COUTURE

IMG_2291.jpg

21st NOVEMBER UPDATE

Great view this morning!!!! Wabigoon lake is shore to shore ice after last night. It vwas down to minus 21 last night, and that was enough to lock up the whole lake. Went down to the shore to take a few snaps on the camera...did not have time to check thickness as i was off to kenora to look at a used 2-up sled.

THERMOMETER 7:15am THIS MORNING

IMG_2301.jpg

SHORE TO SHORE ICE AT LAST!!! MY ROPE AND FORK STILL THERE FROM YESTERDAY....lol

IMG_2302.jpg

IMG_2303.jpg

IMG_2304.jpg

Edited by limeyangler

Great report, pics, vids, and fish Simon!!! :Gonefishing::thumbsup_anim:

Man! It's gotta be dang' freezin up there for that ice to for that quickly in the evening!... BRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!! :canadian:

The Whiskey Jack birds look a lot like our Mocking birds down south here, we have one around the house here that mimicks about a dozen different bird calls... and a cell phone ring!!! :w00t:

Oh wow!! To see that ice gets me sooo excited.. Please keep me posted on how thats goin.. I've been playing with my ice gear for the last three weeks and I'm only five hours away..

5 hours away???

I dont get it....it took me 21hrs to drive from here to St. Thomas....you know.......Dryden....Thunder Bay.....Wawa....Sault St. Marie....Saginaw....Flint....Sarnia.....and finally after a long time.....St. Thomas

thought i'd update the ice conditions here.

Hey Simon,

great news for you :thumbsup_anim: but do me a favour, be extra carefull on that thin ice :stretcher: if it cracks, it's not a good sign :whistling:

Thanks for the update :thumbsup_anim:

Will be keeping an eye out for your report :canadian:

Jacques

Thanks Leechman, i will be careful. Its only 3 feet deep where i was standing.....i wont be trying any deeper waters untill at leas next Tuesday...although i might try a small pond around the corner thats been frozen over since the 10th on Friday/Saturday...all depends on whether i can get someone out there with me...you know...hold onto the rope tied to me from shore....lol.

Some great pics limeyangler.

I was up your way in the summer on a business/fishing trip. I actually stayed just outside of Sioux Lookout. You have an amazing fishery up there. So many lakes to chose from, I'm jealous. Anyways, you were asking about Flambeau Lake and if there were any fish in there. I was invited to go fishing out there by one of our customers but couldn't make it. Apparently there is lots of nice walleye in there. You can see it from right along the Trans Canada can't you, if it's the one I'm thinking of. Also, Pritchard rings a bell too.

Good stuff