Lac Seul Report - pic heavy

tinbanger

Way overdue report from this past summer

The family vacation this year was a drive to Dryden to see my Sister and family .The first stop was S.S. Marie to scope out the college that Pikeie is now attending.Spent a couple of days checking out the city , droppping off resumes and lounging around the pool. Rained most of the time .

Up early and on our way to Dryden via the US . Had deceided this to take this route up due to lower gas prices and flatter terrain , hauling the boat , 5 people and gear was gonna take a bite out of the wallet . About $800 in fuel costs for the two weeks was bit hard to swallow none the less

Arrived in dryden and caught up with the family .The next few days hanging put and doin a little fishing as my Sister lives on the water northwest of dryden.

DSCF2382.jpg

One of our planned excursions was to the famous Lac Seul area . We loaded the boats and packed the gear the night before and off bright and early the next morning.

Bit of an education on loading my bro in laws boat on a roller trailer ..oops sorry bout the prop .Luckily he had new one

We arrived at the launch the following morning to find water levels way higher than usual but not quite high enough as my brother inlaw dropped his nice new crestliner right on the launch ( damn roller trailers) fortunatly no damage but couple of red faces for sure . Launch was busy but everyone was on the water in short order.

DSCF2423.jpg

the 30 min boat ride was interesting ,last fifteen minutes or so was nothin but burnt trees ,Area was ravaged by fire 8-10 years ago .It was amazing to see the size of the fire ,islands in the middle of the river several hundred yards from shore burnt . There were little pockets of bush that had survived but for the most part nothin but burnt sticks.

Good wind blowing meant for some rough water but a good dry ride

DSCF2418.jpg

DSCF2421.jpg

We stopped on our way to our final destination to try out a small bay area .

Caught a few small fish but decided to push on .Glad my Bro in laws buddy knew his way around .Lots of submerged rocks ,logs etc.We followed thier tracks exactly

DSCF2397.jpg

Finally arrived at the area that we planned to fish .Within the first hour we were hooking up with some fish .Kept enough 'legal' fish to have a shore lunch .

no shortage of firewood thats for sure

DSCF2404.jpg

After Lunch we decided to split up a bit having two boats we though we would try and cover more water .My Brother in law headed across the large bay area and we decided to fish the points and drop offs right near the lunch spot .Paid off with some of the largest fish of the day .

DSCF2403.jpg

True to his name Pikeie started to target Pike and ended up with a couple of nice fish .

DSCF2411.jpg

DSCF2399.jpg

Even a decent walleye on a large spinner bait.

DSCF2412.jpg

What we though wa shaze started to increase after lunch and we started to notice a distinct smell of smoke :unsure: we did put out our fire right ?

Turns out ( as we heard later) it was smoke from fires in Saskatchewan .

As always the day went by by way to quick and we returned back to camp /One day is definatly not enough time fro this fishery .

DSCF2396.jpg

Walleye caught mainly on jigs tipped with minnows or white tube jigs , pike on spinner baits or large (5") spoons.

tb

Now thats what i call a great fishin vacation !!!! :clapping: you guys caught some very nice pike & walleye, :whistling: it looks very strange,when you are fishing an area where a fire went through,but the scenery up there is very nice,too about the prop & the boat !!! the only thing missing was the pics of the shore lunch..lol..lol cheers :thumbsup_anim::Gonefishing:

SO...YOU COME UP TO DRYDEN ...VISIT THE FAMILY.....WHAT A BOUT SAYING HI TO ME WHILE YOU WERE HERE....SHEEESH...SOME PEOPLE! Great report though, you are absolutely right in saying its a fishery you need more than a couple of days on...on our way back from Williams bay last week my buddy Dave and me haved vowed to go up at least once a week next year starting ice out...really go xploring. Great pics, awesome catching that wally on the spinner bait...lol...i will try that next summer.....Lac seul is also where i plan to break my musky 'virgin' status.

Thanks for sharing....and if your heading this way again lemme know...hell this is such a small town i probaly know...or know someone who knows your relatives here.

Cheers.