What else would you try when rainbows are finicky

okumasheffield

My fishing buddies & others were fishing at this hole (7ft+ deep) with 20+ rainbows swimming

around non-stop yesterday.

None of us got a single bite from 7:00am to 6:30pm when we called it the day

everyone was frustrated including two experienced fly-fishermen.

We have tried everything in terms of sizes/colors/batis/flies including 2/4/6-lb leaders

and still got skunked.

What else would you try?

Have you tried worms??

Trout like worms plus perhaps you should have tried Mepps in smaller sizes ( 0 or 1 ) and try different colors and see if you`ll get a strike.

Plus if the water was clear and there were couple of lines in the water i see fish getting spooked and not willing to hit anything.

Yep, night fishing is a good option.

As is throwing a small banana style bait (flatfish, kwikfish).

The most tried and true technique would be to throw out a handful of chum (loose salmon eggs), then drift a single under a float.

Live nymphs on a fine wire hook drifted under a float are pretty irresistable as well :) .

I would try the early light period in the morning. We hit some tribs this weekend and once the sun hit the pools the fish would shut down. Conditions were clear as well. We did have luck on pink and white jigs and Berkley power minnows, but again, early in the morning ..............

Like it was previously mentioned if you're standing there watching them they also can see you. And in my experience once you've spooked a trout they're so much tougher to catch. I know it can be tough because you want to watch the fish and see what they're doing but maybe try backing up a few feet so you're out of sight. You know they're still there but after a while they may forget you're around.

The only we did not try was the Live Nymph mentioned by Solopaddler.

Just wonder where you can buy them .. or catch them?

By the way, how do you cure single eggs so that the juice does not come out

when the hook goes through?

The singles I river-water-cured lose juice as soon as being put hooks

I am still depressed from yesterday even though we are getting rain right now

Stand back, way back! Crouch down and think small!

Singles on small hooks with light leads are sometimes the only think that will work.

Personally, I would probably only give that pool ten minutes of my time, all you are doing is driving yourself insane! If there is 20 fish in a pool and you cant get bit in the first 10 minutes its because they are super spooked. Try the same pool 20 minutes before dark, you will have more luck.

On the Uber clear days I tend to fish fast medium depth runs. Usually results in a bunch of smaller fish, but at least I dont have to go to the loonie bin at the end of the day!

SIDE NOTE... I have to keep editing my posts because it seems like 50% of the time I type 'in a pool' it comes out with ' in idiot' after being posted.

Someone help me out, I know I am not typing 'idiot' every time I try to type pool.

Edited by kemper

Single egg recipe:

1 tablespoon of crystal Drano to 1 litre of water. Add food

colouring [optional]. Usually takes about 10 minutes for roe to cure, but

continually check with the point of a hook until desired consistency is

reached. Immediately rinse with water. Keeps in fridge for about 2 to 3

weeks, seemingly forever when vacuum-packed in the freezer.

Stonefly Nymphs and Hellgarmites can be had by turning over rocks in the stream and catching them.

Watch out for the pinchers on Hellgramites though. :whistling:

Single egg recipe:

1 tablespoon of crystal Drano to 1 litre of water. Add food

colouring [optional]. Usually takes about 10 minutes for roe to cure, but

continually check with the point of a hook until desired consistency is

reached. Immediately rinse with water. Keeps in fridge for about 2 to 3

weeks, seemingly forever when vacuum-packed in the freezer.

Stonefly Nymphs and Hellgarmites can be had by turning over rocks in the stream and catching them.

That cure works great!

Just becareful with Drano!

To add to that, large mayflies (hexagenia nymphs) can be dug out of mucky lake or pond bottoms.

Use a window screen to sieve out the muck and find the nymphs.

These nymphs are commonly used in Michigan by steelheaders, as well guys targeting panfish and whitefish through the ice.

They're sold in bait shops over there in steelhead country, called "Michigan wigglers" they're absolutely deadly at times.

I'll be bringing a bunch back when I fish the Manistee next month. :)

I feel your pain.... I have been winter steelheading and seen up to 100 bows just traveling in circles in gin clear water. That day I tried every spinner, spoon, fresh trout roe, super stinky trout roe, cured salmon, freshly frozen salmon roe, 4 different kinds of jigs 5 different fly patterns. I only had 4lb test leaders fluoro. It was so interesting watching them just circle around and around. When ever they got near your line they would just move enough to avoid it. They never sped up they never slowed down. It was like they were in a trance or something. A week later it was the exact same thing so I assume since the weather was stable all that week it just went on that way driving anglers insane. Then it rained and two days later it was NON stop action all day long in that spot as the water flow increased got a chop on top and got slightly dirty...

I agree though once trout are spooked early night fall or early morning is your only hope.