Whats Going On With My Spinnerbaits?

MCTFisher9120

Just curious asto what is going on with the blades of almost all of my spinnerbaits. I have only used them a few times this past summer and have not even caught any fish on them! There seem's to be a tarnish or something on the blades. Can I scrub this off or do i now need to replace them. I thought these were "good" brands...this is only going on with my Strike King and my Booyah spinnerbaits. Here is a pic of what im seeing. :dunno:

006-1.jpg

004-1.jpg

Thanks for any help.

Sure looks like oxidation and corrosion to me. Try using some baking soda and a moist scrub pad/sponge to remove it. The blades will still work and you may want to see if there is too much moisture and or salted plastics in close vicinity of where you store those lures.

If the baking soda doesn't work you can try a short soaking in vinegar with salt to see if the tarnish will come out better. Just remember not to let it soak too long or else it will start to corrode even more. Once done, rinse with water, dry and rub on a tiny bit of WD40.

Sure looks like oxidation and corrosion to me. Try using some baking soda and a moist scrub pad/sponge to remove it. The blades will still work and you may want to see if there is too much moisture and or salted plastics in close vicinity of where you store those lures.

If the baking soda doesn't work you can try a short soaking in vinegar with salt to see if the tarnish will come out better. Just remember not to let it soak too long or else it will start to corrode even more. Once done, rinse with water, dry and rub on a tiny bit of WD40.

Hey it worked perfectly, I soaked the blades in vinegar with salt for a few minutes rinsed with water and gave each blade a good wipe. The tarnish was bugging me for awhile so im glad I asked how to take care of it. Here is the finished product:

007.jpg

Thank's a lot! :D

At least your blades aren't falling off! It seems my Boo-Yahs are all losing their blades for no reason on casts or on fish strikes. And yesterday, everytime one of my BPS Lazer Eyes got smacked by a smallie they lost the colorado blade. Cheap crap, I tells ya!

When I buy the bass pro lazer eyes, I change the clevis and rings. I had blades fly off while casting. I had problems with corrosion, as mentioned salt and vinegar works the best.

Mike like others have said, make sure to dry them out before storing.

Daniel

Blades flying off during a cast might be happening if the wire shaft isn't bent closed around the split ring. Smallies attacking the blades happens quite frequently and often the bait is hit so violently that the blade will be "smacked" off. Has nothing to do with how expensive or cheap the spinnerbait is, just have to check them regularily to make sure they're in good working order.

Actually, the BPS ones the smaller blade is held on with a bent wire, rather than a proper metal clevis with pinholes drilled in it. As a result, the wire easily bends open and the blades fly off.

I've spinnerbaited smallies for 15 years of my life and these are the only spinnerbaits it has happened to.

Cheap crap.