Musky's Landing

Reef Runner

<_<

Addy79 and I headed up to Musky's Landing in Port Severn just off the 400 on Friday night after work. We were stoked, sharpened all the hooks on my Musky baits, bought some new jig heads and tubes for the smallies and planned to hit the water HARD.

Arrived around 9:30pm and met Caroline, operator, where we took out our room and got set-upfor the next days fish. Grabbed a map off the front desk, looked at it, and scratched my head, "Um, where are we?" I asked as there was no spot marked off where we were, nor a North/south directional.

"I hope you're not navigating" she replied skirting the immediate answer. :wallbash:

So, kind of embarrased we went to our room, nicely kept, set up our rods and sat down to figure out the darn map. I highlighted all the shoreline, as it was hard to distinguish from the hydrocontours and still couldnt figure out our position. Went to bed with dreams of musky.

Up by 6am and our boat was ready for 7:30am. I tried once again to ask where we were on the map, this time Caroline took the map, commented how nice I had highlighted the shoreline, and couldnt find where we were :wallbash: So she asked her husband, didnt catch a name, he yelled something addressing her only that North is always the top of the map and not answering my inquery. <_< Least to say, for the owners of a fishing outfitter I was not impressed.

Asked where the fish could be located and i was directed to, generally, Potato Island.

Got out on the water to find it just CHOKED with weeds, depth never hitting below 8feet.

We trolled believers, spinniners, and Maraboos where we could. Addy79 had a good hit at around 9am but she didnt hold on long enough to get a hook set. Making our way to the famed Potato Island, we stopped several times tossing out senkos, tubes, xraps and shad raps for smallies, nada.

We did alot of trolling out in 20fow out in the open water avoiding rock piles just under the surface, thank you polarized glasses and our portable humminbird for saving my deposit.

After covering every square inch of Potato Island we slowly made our way back, mixing up trolling and casting. I settled on a spinnerbait and a tube jig while addy79 concentrated on the Maraboo and a variety of plastics. By dark we had managed one WGSF on a white tube jig. We left for home, fishless, scratching our heads.

That's fishing I guess. Can't always be succesful. A little local knowledge would have been nice, but was lacking, along with a decent map.

Guest gbfisher

They are relatively new owners. The fact they even had a free map is great. Its Georgian Bay, you need good map. For $20 you can have your way up to the French from where you were. I wouldn't even go out on the bay with out a good map myself. You also need a compass for cloudy days if yer new to the bay. GPS Map is great but you need paper Maps regardless.

Its a big Area where you were fishing and takes more than a weekend to figure out. At least you put some time in for next time.

The local map for Arnolds basin on the moon isn't much better and there are no maps for the inland water way on the moon.

Sounds like ya had fun though....:)

We've been there a few times and never had a problem with the owners.. When we got there a few weeks ago and the owner gave us the same map and highlighted all the spots to try.. Troll here and fish here and livebait here... He was very helpful.. In the fall, he has indicated that a regular customer of his comes every fall (after Thanksgiving) and catches a few good walleye under the bridges using minnows .. Another spot is Potato Island ( gray cottage ?? ). We fished there with pastic worms and couldn't keep the smallies off.. It was loaded with fish and we were fishing maybe 4 feet of water.. Then there's the channel heading to open G-bay, as soon as you get to the mouth of it, head to the left and fish in about 9-11 feet of water close to the shore .. Good Pike here for us using live bait..

We'll be heading there is a couple weeks if my partner keeps his boats out.. If not, the owner said that he would leave his boats out until November..

Tiz

Just a sec, which side of the bridge were you fishing on? The east side is just a giant bay full of weeds :) To the west, as long as you follow the buoys, you'd be ok. I definitely wouldn't be going out there without a good hydro map or a GPS unit. We picked up our GPS unit + a Navionics Gold chip for about $500 all together. If you are fishing out there a bit, that would be a good investment.