Is milking salmon eggs considered as "poaching"?

Guest Fishing For Life

Guest Fishing For Life

Alright, here is the story.

One guy in the same pool I was fishing at caught a nice female full of loose eggs.

He quickly took off the hook from the mouth and said

"Oh yes, I finally get to have some salmon eggs for this steelhead season"

"This is my first female salmon with loose eggs this year!"

"Cool, nice fight, man" I said

He then filled up the small re-sealable half-coke-can-size container before

reviving/releasing it back into the water.

Suddenly, an old guy across the pool yelled

"It is poaching! You can not abandon the fish after taking eggs!"

"No, it is not. First of all, I DID NOT kill the fish to take eggs"

"Secondly, I only took a small cup and let the fish continue its journey" he replied.

I read the regulations over and over again but still could not figure out

whether it should be considered as poaching or not .. what do you guys think?

Guest Fishing For Life

If I were to know the correct answer, I would have not wasted my time to look for any answers here.

(maybe I am wasting my time, but I think otherwise)

If any of you were Conservation Officer, you could have just answer my question.

Only if you were born to know everything, you would not need to go to school

Where can I find answers?

No it is not poaching. If the guy has a fishing licence, he can keep at least 2 trout per day.

carp-starter

FROM "ASK CO"

Question 125:

Regarding the collection of trout/salmon roe for personal use as bait. Is it legal to partially "strip" a female salmon or trout of roe then return the fish to the river, providing the fish has been caught legally? It seems that this activity would fall under molesting or harrassing the fish but the alternative, killing the fish for the eggs, seems even worse.

Asked June 28/00

Answer from the MNR

There is nothing in the Fisheries Act or the Ontario Fishery Regulations which prohibits this particular activity. Personally, if I was taken out of my natural elements and stripped of my eggs, chances are I would consider myself molested!! On the other hand, there is no provision in the law with regard to molesting or harassing fish. However, you should be aware that chances are that such a fish, after the handling is likely going to die anyway.

That being said, eggs, by definition, are fish. While we have never limited the number of roe sacs which one may possess from legally taken fish, when you handle the fish as you have indicated that fish is deemed to be 'captured and retained'. Therefore each fish that you perform this activity upon would be considered part of your daily limit.

The fish is going to die anyway, so he would be just as well to have kept her and taken all of the eggs... he basically killed the fish for 1/4 of her eggs, so overall he will probably kill 4 times the number of fish that anyone else would for the same number of eggs.

...I'm not even going to start on the fact that he is wasting the salmon eggs if he is going to use them for steelhead....you can get 'em with salmon roe, but there are lots of better things he can be using.

Edited by DP3200

There you have your answers, for the upteenth time. Drop the subject about keeping salmon, comparing salmon, and colours of salmon. Its get tiring of seeing the same S***, just different day from you.

Easy on this guy. Just because he a so called newbie doesn't warrant the disrespect some have show here. It's this what this forum is for. I see MANY non fishing post and those posters have never been scolded like this. Simply put, if you don't like the post don't respond. I have had to take that approach MANY times.

Now reading that the MNR officer said that he would consider himself molested but nothing is illegal about stripping the eggs and now the fish will die. Isn't this EXACTLY what takes place for stocking programs all around the world. Fish of all species are caught to have their eggs stripped and let loose to live again. Of course pacific salmon do not survive their spawning ritual.

"Just a sec, the fish is going to die in about 2 weeks anyhow correct?"

Buddy..most real Sportsman treat all living creatures with respect. It's good karma too.

If you care nothing for the creatures you harvest, then you are without soul.

"Just a sec, the fish is going to die in about 2 weeks anyhow correct?"

Buddy..most real Sportsman treat all living creatures with respect. It's good karma too.

If you care nothing for the creatures you harvest, then you are without soul.

So respect would have been to chop her up and put her in the deep fryer?

Instead she *might* lay those remaining eggs, who knows.

Guest Fishing For Life

Alright, thanks for the answers guys.

It is technically not poaching but rather a bit of bad practice.

From now on, if anyone asks me about this on the river,

I will tell him/her that if he/she eventually needs a fish worth of eggs,

then he/she might as well just take one complete fish home

instead of milking small amount from each fish.

Once again, thanks for supportive posts and other negative

comments are welcome as usual since I dont judge people

rather try to learn and to think from their perspectives.

Cheers,

Guest gbfisher

I don't understand your infatuation with targeting a fish at the end of its life cycle or that is not edible. Why not target something that takes SKILL ? ;)

I can see harvesting for eggs ...but after 5 fish. Yer done for years!!! Not to mention that there are other ways to catch trout. :D but....that'd put skill into the equation again. :blink: