Snell tyers

blaque

The dexterity of a brain surgeon is not required to snell a hook...it's actually very easy. Dedicated tying aids aren't needed.

However, every diagram I've found on the internet makes it look complicated...but I once found a internet video on snelling a hook, and that made things a whole lot easier to understand. If I can find that video again, I'll post if for you.

Yeah, ive seen the diagrams you refer to lol. Some dont even complete the knot, some have you tying your fingers to the hook LOL!I can tie an Egg Loop pretty simply, and it looks similair.....in fact a tied a harness up last night (thats why im inquiring about the snell) and just tied the hooks on using egg loops and it worked fine.

Tying hooks to form a harness is really the easiest thing to do. It's very doable even in the dark. As far as the loop is concerned, I no longer use them. I leave the end free and when comes time to use, I tie a small swivel....much easier and cleaner.

I learned how to snell a hook a few weeks ago. Took me forever to tie the first few...then it was easy! I thought it would be hard cause I was using small 6 lb flurocarbon line....but it wasn't that bad.

Here's a video....

One thing...it shows how to wrap the first one around...then it skips it with the rest of the animation....just keep on wrapping like the first time. This will make sense when you see the vid and then try it.

This link shows all of this guys videos...he has vids that show how to tie lots of different knots...

http://www.youtube.com/profile_videos?user=madkeen2

Good luck!

Tying hooks to form a harness is really the easiest thing to do. It's very doable even in the dark. As far as the loop is concerned, I no longer use them. I leave the end free and when comes time to use, I tie a small swivel....much easier and cleaner.

Great suggestion!

I 'm with Roy, I like to use a small barrel swivel for tying to main line, cleaner and will help with line twists.

Thanks for the help dougle :lol:

Edited by Whopper

Thanks snowball, it does look easy, but what im failing to understand is how that is a knot, Hes just wrapping the line around , putting it through the eye of the hook and pulling it tight, as soon as you let go, it will unravel, theres nothing cinching itself to itself lol. I dont get it. If you take the tag end that he puts thru the eyelet last, and push it back through, the whole "wind" would unravel. Does anyone understand what im gettin at?? Ize confused. The snell Im lookin at on an existing harness , the long leader line comes thru the eyelet of the hook but is buried under the "Wrap" or "wind". As is the short trimmed end??

pop255.jpg

poppp005.jpg