$300 to spend... what rod & reel to buy?

Fisherpete

So it turns out I made my September bonus at work, just in time to get a baitcaster and musky rod for October! I have a spinning version of the Shimano Compre 7' Musky rod, which has served me well, and am thinking of getting the same but in the baitcasting version. As for reels - I will have around $170 left after buying the rod, any suggestions? This will be a musky and big pike specific setup for me.

A few that have caught my attention and fit the price range... (well almost for some of them LOL)

Shimano Calcutta

Shimano Curado

Abu Garcia Ambassadeur EXT

Abu Garcia Ambassadeur Record

Abu Garcia Ambassadeur C3

Suggestions are welcomed! I do roughly 90% casting, 10% trolling. I have also noticed that there are two distinct styles of baitcasters, the "round" style like the Calcuttas, and the lower profile ones like the Curado. What are the differences - mainly just in the ergonomics?

If your talking about the Curado 300, I held one for the first time yesterday. Smooth, quiet, hold enough line. SHHH! I am not a shimano fan. For the abu`s they are all nice reels, I personally use the blue C4 and it`s great. The reel profiles are for ergonomics.

Daniel

If you're right handed then Calcutta 400B, if you're left handed then TE 401 is the only option. I got two of them and I must say the cheaper 400B is smoother. Unfortunately there is no lefty in that model. I also have the Curado. Also pretty good but if you're gonna be serious about muskie and using big lures then go with a round baitcasting reel. Also a Daiwa Luna. Stay far away from Abu's. Suitable for trolling only. Threw 2 C3's in the garbage.

As for rods, St Croix or Fig Rig.

If you're right handed then Calcutta 400B, if you're left handed then TE 401 is the only option. I got two of them and I must say the cheaper 400B is smoother. Unfortunately there is no lefty in that model. I also have the Curado. Also pretty good but if you're gonna be serious about muskie and using big lures then go with a round baitcasting reel. Also a Daiwa Luna. Stay far away from Abu's. Suitable for trolling only. Threw 2 C3's in the garbage.

As for rods, St Croix or Fig Rig.

Whats wrong with the 6500 C3s?

I bought one to complement my Quantum PT Engery burner.

I have only used mine twice (casting for a few hours with 3/4 oz spoons) and so far I love its simplicity, smooth casting ability, drag was smooth, has a clicker and it is very serviceable, uses brass gears and it was only $100. Due to the lack of an adjustable centrifugal cast control it is not so hot for total beginners.

Oh yeah...it holds a wack of line!

I did get a few small birds nest but, I am pretty new to baitcasting.

If you still have the C3s in the garbage pail beside your desk: what do you want to sell them for?

forrest

Edited by forrest

Every person that defends the C3's always used it twice using light gear. Forrest, when i first used the C3 for walleye trolling, it was fine but then a few trips casting muskie lures destroyed my Abu in no time. Then I got a second and same thing. And no they are not in my garbage any more. My friend took them out of there to use and I believe they're in his garbage now.

Every person that defends the C3's always used it twice using light gear. Forrest, when i first used the C3 for walleye trolling, it was fine but then a few trips casting muskie lures destroyed my Abu in no time. Then I got a second and same thing. And no they are not in my garbage any more. My friend took them out of there to use and I believe they're in his garbage now.

LOL.....OK I will put it through the ringer with some Musky lures and report back. Can you post or pm me the failings?

forrest

Both handles got loose, drag gave out and became jerky, it just wasnt smooth.

Whatever, Im just sharing my experiences. Im not arguing anymore. Everyone uses what they like. Use whatever you want. Shimano and Daiwa all the way.

I am not arguing....I have only had the thing out twice and have not used it for heavy lures. There is nothing to argue.

I read about the Abu Record handles bending and how they fail due to too much packing grease and C3s have a 22lb max drag rating. so when the handle gets loose I will now know its a design problem (ty for the warning).

Nothing to loose here (a fish) I already own the reel, may as well have fun working it hard until its end.

forrest

Edited by forrest

Stay away from Fig Rig rods, everyone I know who has had one hates them, they tend to break and trying to get warranty work done is next to impossible. Stick to St Croix or Shimano and you can't go wrong.

As for reels, you've got $170 to spend so that rules out the Calcutta TE, it's great but it's over $400. The Calcutta 400B is nice but is still out of your price range. The Abu Record 60 with the power handle is a nice reel, I have one and I use it as much as my TE. Abus are like Chevys, they may not be the prettiest or have the latest and greatest options but they get the job done.

i can confidently say that i fish muskie more than 96% people on here and chuck/troll lures bigger than many fish people catch. I think I have a pretty good idea of what can and cannot stand up to the abuse.

my reels are 6501 c3s, 7001 c3s, quantum cabo cbc 31pts's for casting and an okuma convector 30dlx linecounter for trolling.

like bigbucks says 6500 c3s are like a jeep vs murano. function over form. mine have lasted years.

curado 301 seems like a nice reel, maybe I'll try it out next. the 201 is a bass reel. calcutta is nice but too rich for my blood (and no lefty in the 400 size unless you step up to the TE).

low-profile vs round, more than ergonmoics. typically tougher components, stronger drags, and larger line capacity.

as for rods, my preference lies with st. croix premiere line. avid would be nice but they don't make 'em muskie size anymore. you now have to step up to their legend line... no thanks for the $$$.

unless you're vertically challenged, do yourself a favour and get something in the 7'6"+ range.

ohh yeah and read this post: http://www.ofncommunity.com/forums/index.p...c=18044&hl=

Edited by Raf

I've been using both Premiers & Avids for muskies for a few years now but am gradually switching them all over to Compres. It's a personal choice but I'm just liking the Compres alot more lately, infact I just sold an Avid to purchase another Compre.

As Raf suggested, give some thought to moving up to at least a 7' 6" and you won't be dissappointed in your choice as the longer rod just makes everything better.

For the reels, I'm also a fan of Shimano and have been extremely happy with my 400 CT's and then this season I've also added a 400 TE (on a new 7' 6" Compre) and it's by far the nicest casting rod/reel combo I've ever used.

I like a dedicated rod/reel for trolling and use a Shimano Tekota 600LC

Nothing wrong with the Abu C3 and it's a reel that will serve you well for a long time. As was mentioned before, it may not be as purdy or smooth as a Calcutta, but it's tough as nails and will do the job with no problems if that's the choice you make.

Here's a thought though, you've got the $170 left over from your bonus after you purchase your rod, which in a way is "free" money, so why not add a bit more to it and move up to one of the Calcuttas ??

As I say, the C3 is a decent reel, but if you purchase it, then have the opportunity to try a friends Calcutta you'll be kicking yourself for not making the move when you had the chance in the 1st place.........sorta like onefootitis in a boat :lol:

Never tried the 300 Curado, but have heard good things about them.

Please let us know what you decide on.

I like both the Curado 300 and Calcutta 400 - I don't own either yet but I've used them. If I had to choose right now I would break down fishing style a little more.

Curado 300 is very compact and light with a high speed retrieve. I'd opt for the Curado if I intended to throw mostly inlines and spinnerbaits with a 7'-7'6" rod.

Calcutta 400 is bulkier and slower but a great jerkbait reel on a 6'6"-7' rod and doubles as a trolling reel with a built in clicker. The large spool picks up slack fast enough for jerkbaiting but it's not as fast as the Curado for burning baits.

I don't think you would be disappointed with either but one may suit your immediate needs better than the other - I know I'd be happy to see either under the Christmas tree this year!

-Brian

I have enjoyed my Abu Garcia C4 6500 baitcaster. It is my first and only baitcasting reel i own, and i mated it with a nice 1-piece rapala hm-45 rod. It's an awesome setup for bass and larger pike, but i'm not sure how it would hold up to casting larger musky lures all season long, but i would definitely need a heavier rod to do that. It does a great job casting 3/4 and 1 ounce spoons and bucktails. I have had to have it serviced once in the 4 seasons i have owned it. I paid around $165 for the reel and $35 to service it this spring (it had salt crust in it from when i took it down south). The drag is still really smooth and it is quiet. it works great for trolling, and the clicker is nice and loud to let you know when you get a strike/snag. I used to get bird-nests in it when i try to cast light lures into the wind, but i have gotten much better at casting and it's very rare that i get tangles in it anymore. I don't think you need a magnetic anti-backlash system, but i have never tried one (i think the abu c5 green reel had one) so i can't speak of on experience. If it worked well, it probably would have been useful when i was learning to cast with it, but now that i am comfortable with it, I don't think i would ever need/want to sped the extra money to get one. You could try one of the saltwater reels too. I think the are a little heavier yet than the freshwater versions.

I don't think it's really fair to compare the Abu baitcasters to the Shimano Calcuttas. The Shimano reels are nearly 3 times as much as the Abu's. I am a firm believer of you get what you pay for, but i am happy with the value i got for my Abu reel which I bought 4 years ago. You can get the c4 for less than $100 now. I wonder if the shimano reel would last 3 times as long as the Abu?

Edited by skrillaguerilla

So it turns out I made my September bonus at work, just in time to get a baitcaster and musky rod for October! I have a spinning version of the Shimano Compre 7' Musky rod, which has served me well, and am thinking of getting the same but in the baitcasting version. As for reels - I will have around $170 left after buying the rod, any suggestions? This will be a musky and big pike specific setup for me.

A few that have caught my attention and fit the price range... (well almost for some of them LOL)

Shimano Calcutta

Shimano Curado

Abu Garcia Ambassadeur EXT

Abu Garcia Ambassadeur Record

Abu Garcia Ambassadeur C3

Suggestions are welcomed! I do roughly 90% casting, 10% trolling. I have also noticed that there are two distinct styles of baitcasters, the "round" style like the Calcuttas, and the lower profile ones like the Curado. What are the differences - mainly just in the ergonomics?

PM me if you want a good deal on a slightly used Curado300

Jose

I have both a Curado and an Abu C3 that I use for musky and although I do like the Abu, The Curado is a far superior reel. At least in my eyes anyway. But Heck I also use a spinning rod for musky so don't listen to me. :)

A 7 foot compre and a Curado would be a sweet rig.

As for the reliability of Curados, I know plenty of curados plenty older than 3 years and still working perfectly cast after cast. I know lots of guys with C3's that just put up with the noise and this and that, and have them serviced and what not. But as another guy said its not fair to compare an Abu C3 to a Curado.

Edited by jedimaster

There is a difference in casting distance between a low profile reel and a round reel.

If you look at a round reel, the line guide is close to the spool while the line guide on a low profile reel is further away from the spool. This means that on a low profile baitcaster, the line leaves the spool at a lower angle (if the line is at the far end of the spool) than on a round baitcaster. This means reduced resistance. Imagine the resistance when the line guide is to the far left while the line is coming off the spool from the far right. On top of that, low profile baitcasters usually have a narrower spool which further decreases the maximum angle that the line has to make between the spool and the line guide.

However, there is the difference in line capacity and there are no real big low profile reels to compensate for the difference in line capacity. Fortunately, the new braided lines are 50% smaller than equivalent monos and that has helped to increase the line capacity for the low profile reels.

Since 90% of your fishing for musky is casting, I would recommend a low profile reel. I'm sure you can find a great but used Curado 300 for under 100 dollars because the 2009 Curado 300 is now on the market. Everyone with the old Curados will want to buy the new Curado that has been upgraded quite a bit. I think that maybe a new 2009 Citica would be okay for musky. The only difference between this new reel and the new Curado is in the number of bearings.