Buying a Compound Bow, what to get?

Mattones

Well for a while now I have been wanting to learn Archery and hope to go out hunting next year. I want to buy a good Compound Bow that will last me many years hunting so if anyone knows where I can buy a used or new ones that will be awesome. Any brand names i should look out for?

Does BPS sell them I will be heading there next weekend for the first time. :thumbsup_anim:

I absolutely love my Diamond Justice... well equipped for $600 might go fondle it now to be honest :) I was looking at everything from matthews to Darton, to Bowtech and I chose the Diamond (by bowtech, just single cams). Less than the Matthews and bowtechs but a great bow and apparently they have good service.

If this is your first purchase and your just getting started there's 2 places I would put on your list to drop by

#1) Wolfs Den Archery, Utopia just a little north west of Thorton on the way to Barrie. This place has a very large selection of new and used and the staff to answer all your questions. Even has a 3D range to take a few shots if your wallet starts getting itchy. They list the used stuff on their website.

#2) Shooters Choice in Waterloo. Less used stuff but they carry pretty much all the top line brands. They have an indoor range too but its a bit of a hassle to just drop by and shoot. They have a great lesson shedule that will teach you not to develop any bad habits and to get the most out of your purchase.

I bought my one and only compound bow when I was 25. I'm 44 now. Cost me $200 all in and the biggest thing to date for me was the stuff I learned after about shooting not the bow itself.

One thing I learned fast was like golf clubs the way you play or shoot is never the fault of the equipment!!!

Practice practice practice.

and then practice some more!

You really need to go to a shop and ask to shoot a number of different bows to see what feels best. I cant stress this enough as everyone has there preferences and it will show in your shooting and confidence.

I just got a Hoyt Katera, it was VERY expensise all decked out, but the guys at Gagnons spent 3 hours with me letting me try all of there bows.

I narrowed it down to the Hoyt..............very smooth and forgiving.

The Diamond ......... awesome back wall solid feel and the Matthews.

Being an older shooter I still prefer a longer bow that is more forgiving then a smaller axel to axel bow

Edited by bucktail

i too would suggest going to an archery shop, they usually have good used ones there, and you can try them out. the main thing in my opinion is to get it fitted to your exact measurements. it can make a big difference in your accuracy and comfort.

jason

As mention Shooters choice or Wolf den. I have a Hoyt and will be getting a Bowtech soon. Hoyt are great bows, light and fast. I bought the bow at Wolfs den, BUT the accessories at Shooters choice, they have a huge selection, and carry my fav. lightspeed arrows.

I reccomend Hoyt or Bowtech

Daniel

I deal with Wolf's Den, they are a great bunch of people there to help you get properly set up with the right gear. Make sure to try different makes( Bowtec, Matthews, Hoyt, browning, PSE, Parker ) there are many different makes and models to choose from.

I have A Browning Tornado at 65lbs for my back up bow, and a Diamond Victory at 72lbs, I am really happy with the bowtec, and they have GREAT costumer service to.

The one thing is if you will be hunting with it make sure to practice a lot and get your form down, consistency is a must.

Don't try to pull to much weight back at first start at about 50lbs depending on your size, but you don't normally use these muscle groops to much, so make sure to ease into it and build up from there. Also try and get a bow with 80% let off, it makes a big difference when having to hold the string back for a while.

I do 95% of my hunting with a compound bow, no matter what game it may be Moose, Bear, Deer. It deffintely is more enjoyable to me doing it with a bow.

Good luck and shoot em straight

I just purchased a PSE X-force dream season. Amazing bow, but pricey. CHeck around first. Shoot some different bows and you start to find some you like. I went to BPS and was dissapointed in the service at the desk. Look around first and take your time. IT will definitly be a purchase that you will cherish.

Buddy of mine shoots a Mathews Switchback or I think thats what its called ???Anyways he loves it..I shoot a crossbow,Excalibur Exomag. I find my shoulder isn't as strong as it used to be and I get shaking if I have to hold back the bow for any length of time. On the other hand the Exomag crossbow allows me to take as much time as I need to line up a shot. Some guys think its cheating to use a scoped out crossbow but man they are accurated,splitting arrows at 30 yards so just keep that in mind when you finally go to make your purchase.

DSC01629.jpg

Cheers !!

i had to buy a crossbow (excalibur exomax) a couple years ago because my shoulder was screwed from a rugby injury. could likely use a compound now but im in love with my crossbow now so i couldnt sell her. its so accurate i cant aim at the same place twice or ill be busting up bolts pretty quickly. best shot so far is on a cottontail. 38 yards through the edge of its eye, standing, off hand :thumbsup_anim:

basically you get what you pay for. id stick with single cam bows as they arent as finicky as dual cams. hoyt, bowtech, pse, basically all the main brands make good bows.

stay away from shooters choice as their prices are ridiculous. bass pro is pretty good for pricing and you can test out a few bows to see which one you like. le barons is likely the best on pricing around here but their customer service usually sucks so make sure you know what you want before you go there.

and yes it is worth the extra money buying carbon arrows vs aluminum...

Don't rush your purchase..learn about good sights & rests. Don't HUNT an animal until you can place your shot near perfectly.

Study deer anatomy to understand shot placement.

Focus on becoming a good shot first, then a good hunter L8r.

Thats the idea. I will practice for a year learning to shoot getting my stuff together and when i think i'm ready i'll give it a shot.

When i find a bow should I join a club to learn or ??

This is a skill I really want to learn.

Edited by Mattones

A good student makes a teacher great. Join a club & slowly learn who is a good mentor. Too much info will be confusing. (Take notes!)

Learn at your own pace. Once beyond the basics you will branch out onto your solo journey. A good target bag can be used for practice in hunting areas.

Studying deer behaviour, feeding,mating & resting habits will be the next stage after you become an accomplished & knowledgeable Archer.

It is a proud knowledge to become expert with primitive weapons. Learning the ways of the woods & all that dwell in them is a spiritual joy & great survival skill.

Truly a royal endeavor..Enjoy every minute afield brother. :canadian:

Edited by danbo