Eastern L. Ontario trib headwater report

ehg

In last 4 years or so i've done some similar reports to this and have had 30 + requests (through PM's) for this location

no one has ever gone here despite this, so i don't feel bad about revealing location.

Anyways in May i went to this location and after fishing went to my vehicle only to find a Federal Canada security guard parked behind my vehicle.

I asked him if there was a problem and he was friendly and explained the situation.

Seems the land i was on was expropriated by Transport Canada for the proposed Pickering airport and was considered

Crown land therefore, he explained. He told me the land was leased to farmers, etc.. by the federal government

and that i was free to fish and access land within the boundries of expropriation. That's great i thought fishing with no

worries of trespassing.

So today i went to same spot to try my luck near season closing, since i never went at this time before. Had a good fishing day and left to go back to my vehicle.

Again a security vehicle is parked behind my truck, the guy gets out and speaks to me.

This is now a private security company (not Federal). He tells me i'm NOT allowed to fish there or go on the land.

So i tell him about what the federal guy said and he seemed confused by my story, filled me in on what he knew and left.

Now i'm confused as well!

Had a decent day brookie fishing anyways; used Panther Martins and caught a dozen or so brookies and twice as

many chubs. Doing this in the fall seemed better than springtime. Missed many fish as the morning became brighter.

I could see them hit the lure but go back to cover quickly, when i first arrived they hit more robustly.

Here is some pics

First fish of day

IMG_0001-15.jpg

Largest of the day

IMG_0003-20.jpg

Smallest of the day

IMG_0004-18.jpg

One of many big creek chubs...

IMG_0009-9.jpg

So had a better day fishing than expected have to try again before close.

That security guy peeved me though now i'm not sure what to believe or expect there?

At least the bugs were almost gone but for those dang fire ants. <_<

Cheers,

ehg

Edited by ehg

Thanks for replies!

Searched the internet for more info on area for crown land usage but came up with nothing new.

Did find a map of proposed blueprints for Pickering airport and found there was to be a runway right on my

brookie spot. <_< . Good thing it didn't happen. I think the security is trying to intimidate for some reason.

Nice brookies still there despite proximity to metropolis.

ehg

This might shed some light on why you are getting some mixed messages. Not so sure that plans for an airport are still in place, but I found an informative link.

If you got heat for mentioning the name, then I will be in big doodoo for posting this. But I'm posting it with a bigger ideal in mind...

http://ontario.sierraclub.ca/campaigns/pickering_airport/

:Gonefishing:

p.-

p.s. if you google "save _______ creek" there's an online petition for you to sign. Apparently. it's been omitted from the "Green belt" plan... not sure how current that is... maybe someone who is closer to the issue can inform us. OFC would have lots of members that could sign the petition!

Edited by Paulus

This might shed some light on why you are getting some mixed messages. Not so sure that plans for an airport are still in place, but I found an informative link.

http://ontario.sierraclub.ca/campaigns/pickering_airport/

Thanks for the link Paulus, looks like they are exploring the idea of an airport there again.

Explains the recent increase in security presence i've felt , that wasn't there before.

Many links to go to from that main link.

It would be a shame if it happened the trails i followed were from deer, have caught brookies and small atlantics,

went through class 1A farmfields, just to read now that it could be all decimated and paved for airport development.