st. marys river report

pikeie

well as i have stated in some past threads ive have moved up to the soo for school. ive been getting down to the river every once in a while and the pinks are in thick!!

some days you can see schools of 200-300 fish swim by and see hundreds more jumping :thumbsup_anim:

up here alot of people use a jig :thumbsup_anim: called a buzz bomb and they work pretty good except every once in a while people have snaged the fish with them. ive been tryin them with good success without snaging any :Gonefishing:

i was down last night for 2 hours at the hydro dam on the canadian side and i ended up catching 2 pinks and 1 good size walleye (had no idea they were in the st.marys) and broke off 1 more fish i think it was a king.

anyways heres the only pic that i can get lol used my web cam in my room lol

006crop.jpg

the pink was almost 4 lbs and the walleye about 2.5

The only question now is can you cook them in the dorm room with out getting in trouble :lol:

Don't worry too much about snagging a few with that many fish in the river the chance is rather high, you know what to do so fish on.

And don't forget about the perch and pike!

nice going, that spot can produce some great fish this time of year, don't overlook the boardwalk either for some great salmon action..just walk along the river, you will see some spots where the current changes and try there :Gonefishing: , you can get them by running a 3 way rig and body baits just by dropping your line straight down off the walk. ;) If you are fishing buzz-bombs, it's a very popular lure up that way..be prepared to lose a whack of them painted up sinkers with a hook on em :lol:

ya there is no real way to stop losing those buzz bombs, but it doesnt hurt so much if u buy them from the diver for $1.50 insted of 4 bucks everywhere else lol. hopefully this weekend i will get to fish the rapids with the fly rod

ya there is no real way to stop losing those buzz bombs, but it doesnt hurt so much if u buy them from the diver for $1.50 insted of 4 bucks everywhere else lol. hopefully this weekend i will get to fish the rapids with the fly rod

that's funny you said that...when I lived by there (North St) about 10 minute walk away from the locks there where people that would dive there, and come up with loads of tackle then sell it there.

You be carefull out there

Those are big rapids and there are deep holes that sneak up on you. Don't be trying to cross it, you have to know the way

There is a big hole on the near side of the berm that always has fish in it. Go about half way down on the shore side, there is a bit of a point. Land your fly upstream and let drift down and go deep.

there is every fish in the book in the St Marys

dod you hear that the pro walleye tournament is here this weekend

I went to Sault college in 1980, like you I fished the St Mary's all the time, nice fish you got there and I use to cook them up in the residence alot since food money turned to beer money easy in those days :rolleyes: ...If you get a chance to go north about a 1/2 hour outa a town check out the chippawa river, real sweet trib with a good pink run and a nice steelie run, we fished smaller spinners there vibrax 2 and 3 , mepps, panther martins and if you get a hen pink the roe is great for drifting.

The St. Mary has some decent walleye fishing. That is one of the reasons it was chosen for the professional walleye tour, which stops there this wknd on the US side. Being a long river there are plenty of places to fish for them. Some of the most popular are by the power station on the US side, the mouth of Lake George, the bridge on the Ont side I forget the name. We jigged,casted and drifted for them. great scenery and a wow to see the boats lock and manuever the channels.

You be carefull out there

Those are big rapids and there are deep holes that sneak up on you. Don't be trying to cross it, you have to know the way

ya i krow what u mean i have been there only once so far and i could see how easy it would be to get in trouble out there. ive been going with a guy that has fished them alot and i just follow him around lol

Hi Matt,

great report and a fine example of the fishing available. Happy to see you have settled in and do find time to wet a line. Thanks for sharing, I look forward to more reports as the season progresses.

John