New outboard emission standards

forrest

Three star rated engines will still be better than lesser designs at present however mandatory cats will make a significant improvement so yes over time non cat equipped engines will be viewed as higher polluters.

My company has something special and very interesting in development though.

Three star rated engines will still be better than lesser designs at present however mandatory cats will make a significant improvement so yes over time non cat equipped engines will be viewed as higher polluters.

My company has something special and very interesting in development though.

What does your company do?

forrest

that article seems to be an American thing..unless I missed a Canadian part in there some where

good luck on the gov trying to track down everyone with 9.9's an under on unregistered bboats..I know I wouldn't be voluntarily letting out too much into on my old 9.9 I run on my 14 footer.

And for example what about other motors..like my 2003-40 Merc are they really going to expect everyone to pull thier boats into the shop to get them worked on??? and of which..if they did get this kind of work done on thier motors..what about issues that arrise in regards to warranties for adding somehting like this to the motor???and not to mention other tweeks that might have to be done to the motors in regards to fuel/air ratios ect that most 2 strokes are probably not ever meant to have done in order to run properly????..how do they plan on fitting a some sort of converter to an exhaust on a motor that has no roon for extra parts to go into any of the covers ect????

too may unthought out questions here I think, maybe our "generous" government will come up with some sort of program where all of us with 2 stroke motors can cash them in for free for a 4 stroke of the same horsepower :dunno::lol:

I read nowhere that older motors cannot be used any longer. Please correct me if I am wrong but I think this new standard only will apply to motors sold starting in 2010. Just like older cars don't have to conform to the newer pollution standards, neither will outboards or lawn mowers.

Bob

Yes the new standards will be for new engines for the USA however I believe Canada will follow the standards soon enough. I can also see restrictions placed on use of older polluting engines in the future. Either way the two stroke will disappear in due time.

Catalytic converters are only for 4-stroke engines methinks. Oil in a 2-stroke would clog the CC up in no time flat I think. There's a TON of 2-stroke engines used for everything from logging chainsaws, ice augers, to enduro motorcycles and I doubt we'll see a 2-stroke ban here in Canada anytime soon. I also doubt the problem is with small engines since few are operating in the big cities.... yet the smog halo above these places are BAD... Like Toronto where as I salmon fish I see the smog layer start about 18 floors up on the buildings there. Relatively few 2-strokes there I'm sure. But by blaming/focusing on small engines it takes the pressure/heat off the real culprits... cars, diesel trucks and buses, and oil furnaces in older buildings or ones set so folks are getting too much AC or heat.

Good point Cisco but some two strokes do have cats on them and oil is not the problem.I own quite a few of Sthil saws and I do performance mod them so I see what they do to try and meet emission requirements such as restricting exhaust flow the raise operating temperature. But the two stroke is reaching it's limits of design and the oil is a contributing factor towards pollution. So you will see more mini four strokes on the market.

I'm good as long as they don't come out with a "human emissions" standard!... oops! there goes one now!!!

... oh man that was nasty!!! :ph34r:

I'm still trying to find a way to feed those emissions into the motor :lol: Never have to buy gas again. Especially after 2 bowls of "roadkill" chilli

Weed-eater been using a CAT on there engines since 1976.

Most of thees new laws are to get rid of the ready mix tanks.

With ready mix, you only think you are mixing 50:1.

Which in fact you are mixing higher.Due to the oil that is stuck to

the tank and is wash free every time you fill with fresh gas.

good luck on the gov trying to track down everyone with 9.9's

Ain't that the truth...

I'm all for change, but I'm not in the market to just dump my 40horse, or 9.9 because they are less effeicent then new models.

Wish I had the cash to do such a thing but that just won't happen any time soon.

Besides,

For how often I run them I'd bet the Level of emmisions I'm putting out is about 1% or less of what my car spews in a year...

Its a Nice thought to make boat engines cleaner, but I hardly think emmisions testing outboards is the way.

It would be almost impossible to enforce, and really will just make it more expensive for people to get into boating.

Yet another exsample of inflation...

IMO...Making the recreational use of Boats more expensive/difficult seems like a waste of resources if you ask me.

I'm all for change, but I'm not in the market to just dump my 40horse, or 9.9 because they are less effeicent then new models.

Wish I had the cash to do such a thing but that just won't happen any time soon.

Besides,

For how often I run them I'd bet the Level of emmisions I'm putting out is about 1% or less of what my car spews in a year...

Its a Nice thought to make boat engines cleaner, but I hardly think emmisions testing outboards is the way.

It would be almost impossible to enforce, and really will just make it more expensive for people to get into boating.

Yet another exsample of inflation...

IMO...Making the recreational use of Boats more expensive/difficult seems like a waste of resources if you ask me.

Enforcement could be as easy as a spreading ban of use of gas engines or the use of two stroke oil on more lakes with hefty fines and or confiscation of your license.

In general the public does follow the law. Still one has to consider the resale value of older engines now too with new standards. And what will happen to the sale of two stroke oil over time?