Perhap's A Way To Improve The Board?

solopaddler

Don't get me wrong I love the board the way it is, but had a thought.

I was thinking that a sub board dedicated to informative, "how to" based fishing reports, or "articles" if you will would be cool. Perhaps even subdividing it further by species..

I believe there's a huge amount of angling talent amongst the members and most have something to offer in the tip department.

I know there's a search function, but most of the very best info usually get's lost in the day to board shuffle.

What'ya think? :dunno:

I belong to a site here in Quebec where there are at least 20 to 30 different sections on fishing and then there is another on hunting that is similar . It's a real hassle and very slow going from one section to another.

As long as each message has a good title, it's easy to spot the one's that most interest you.

No, you guys don't get it.

Keep this board exactly the same, don't change it, there's no need to obviously.

To be more specific, have the sub board in the "extra resources" section where photography, hook ups and computer help already exist.

Call it, I don't know, "tackle and techniques", or "fishing how to".

Anyhow it was just a thought.

I can see the value however original techniques could only be used unless credit is given to the originator. This then brings up a few issues , does all material become property of this site including pictures? If the tip or techniques was originally developed by someone else would the site be responsible for compensation?

Perhaps a new section related to camping could be added as well.

The "charm" of this board is that while the medium is new, the viewpoints held by those in power are anachronistic. :) No doubt you will see comments about your idea stating: we like it the way it is. After that there will be a round of follow up back slapping posts. Your idea will be tossed in the garbage bin, as many have been previously. You have now become a member of the, I made a suggestion to improve the board and got shotdown! or IMASTITBAGS for short. :)

Edited by scuro

we have sub-sections and about 60% of members don't know or don't go there

I would guesstimate that 80 % of people will not even check the second page of the main forum...

many other board are broken into sub-sections

but this is "THE" fishing website in Canada and it keeps getting bigger

is it because I am here or because people like the format....who knows, it is one of those two reasons......LOL

i get what solo's trying to say and I also thought it would be a great idea. What I have in mind though, is that the sub-board will not be used for discussion much. Rather, it'll just have all the informative posts listed there.

i.e. "How to tie hair rigs for carp" ... this question probably gets asked 10 times every year on the board. What we can do is when we have one of these threads that might be useful and informative to everybody, the mods can put them into the sub-board once it dies down a bit, kind of like "my favourites" for your internet browser.

a whole bunch of others threads that would come to mind is like ... "how to winterize your outboard" ... "how to wacky rig senkos" ... etc. ... it's more-or-less like the "FAQ" section we have right now

i get what solo's trying to say and I also thought it would be a great idea. What I have in mind though, is that the sub-board will not be used for discussion much. Rather, it'll just have all the informative posts listed there.

That's exactly what I meant, no discussion, just informative posts or articles posted.

Submissions could be sent to the mod's for acceptance then posted by them...

As mentioned it was just a thought. It'd be a great resource of info to have at your fingertips.

Something you might try if you want to start your own library of what you want to remember you can either post to the thread and use a key word or phrase like "what a great idea or Wish I had thought of it" and then use the search feature for the key word. You will end up with your own private library.

Art

awesome idea, I agree 100%. many of the board members have the ability and would love to take the time to write an informative article about their "speciality" so to speak.

it would be like having an encycolpedia of fishing at your fingertips, and would be totally one of a kind.

I can see the value however original techniques could only be used unless credit is given to the originator. This then brings up a few issues , does all material become property of this site including pictures? If the tip or techniques was originally developed by someone else would the site be responsible for compensation?

Perhaps a new section related to camping could be added as well.

Wha? Everytime you dropshot, do you pay someone for it? You are making this more complicated then this has to be...

A sub section, with HOWTO's, hints/tips would be a great addition.

Personally, I think an Off Topic subsection would benefit this forum the most.. Quite a bit of non fishing related stuff recently.

Edited by BillM