How small lake/pond ?

Rombo

I am wondering if anyone can give me some insight to how small a lake or pond can hold largies. I have many little lakes that are accessible from my cottage, but i am wondering at what point is in not worth hauling the canoe back in the bush. Will a 300 meter by 100 meter pond have any good fish.

Also i know largemouth can live in quite warm water but what would the shallow limit be ?

Small ponds can hold some decent size LM. My wife's uncle has a 1/2 acre pond loaded with bluegills & LM. Most of the LM are small but I've caught them up to 18" in there. The deepest spot in his pond is 12 feet (after the spring rains).

I am wondering if anyone can give me some insight to how small a lake or pond can hold largies. I have many little lakes that are accessible from my cottage, but i am wondering at what point is in not worth hauling the canoe back in the bush. Will a 300 meter by 100 meter pond have any good fish.

Also i know largemouth can live in quite warm water but what would the shallow limit be ?

I think you might be surprised at what a "pond" that size might hold. This environment is made for hauling the canoe in.

Good luck in your hunt and don't tell anyone when you find the perfect bass hole. :lol:

We have a pond/swamp here called stump lake. In the winter, many years ago, they went out and clear cutted the area. All that remains are millions of tree stumps (hence the name). The deepest section is 3 feet. we'll scoot around in a 12 foot glass boat powered by a 55 transom mount electric, bouncing off stumps like mad . The fish also hit like mad. Not something I would want to do everyday, but it sure does make for a fun evening of being a kid!!!

Ok I will give a report, But plans may have changed for the weekend may be camping on another back lake with a few buddies.

Now that lake produces you have 1.5 - 2 lb largie in under a minute, they are also the blackest bass I have ever seen

As far as depth goes, as long as the water does not freeze solid to the bottom in the deepest areas, you are good.

Temperatures can vary quite a bit. They prefer warmer waters, but will do nicely in cool water as well.

Size of fish will depend on number of Bass or other predators present, and available food quantities. It takes about 10 pounds of feed to produce 1 pound of weight gain in Bass.

The actual size of the water body in acres is pretty irrelevant. The factors above are more important. Oxygen levels also play an important roll.

Good luck and let us know how you do!

My buddy has a pond that is about 150 ft by 150 ft. It was somehow stocked with largies 20 years ago :whistling:

Anyway, it doesn't really matter how they got there. The pond is 12 ft deep at its deepest point and it still has a good population of bass. There are some 3+ pound bass swimming around there.

Edited by Cudz

There is a pond and a swamp in my girlfriends back yard. the pond was stocked once a few years ago she said. Their workers all fished it out they said. But I really wanna try it. No idea how deep it is thought. i do know there are leaches in there haha