Vacation Week #1(Now with more pics)

Mike the Pike

Hey folks back after 2 weeks of vacation and I must say overall the weather was quite nice, too bad many had bad weather

this year but my late August vacation paid off just a little rain.

After booking our Camping reservations too late this year there was slim pickins so we were able too book

a site at Rideau River Provincial Park in Kempville Ontario about 25 minutes South of Ottawa.

I enjoyed this park as well as my kids we had great sites very close to the water only downfall was the mosquitos

were the worst I have ever seen out of all the camping I have done all my life.My whole family had thousands of bites despite

heavy use of bug spray.To me Watkins bug spray is the best and you don't seem to notice you have sprayed yourself.

The first couple of days were so so,light rain but nothing to complain about after that the weather improved and we enjoyed the improved weather despite 24/7 mosquito attacks.

The worst day of thunderstorms we went to Ottawa while the wimmins shopped at the Mall my son and I found the new Le Barons in Ottawa which is much nicer than the original Montreal store.

Bought some more stuff Idon't need :Gonefishing:

Well on with the pics and story.

Upon arrival the kiddies requested their frog nets and buckets and this is what they found.........

IMG_1823JPG3legfrog.jpg

A 3 legged frog.Either some fishy ate the leg or it must have to do with the many golf courses in the area that

adds to the sloppy weed growth man no wonder Justin catches lots of bass its hundreds of miles of green slop.

IMG_1859_1.jpg

Finally got set up and this was our camp for the week.

IMG_1841JPGslopcanoe.jpg

A little fun with the green slop my daughter in the blue life jacket.

Nice thing about minivans is my oldest daughter invited a friend for the week.can't wait till they stay home so I can get a pick up lol :whistling:

IMG_1895JPGjumpofftable.jpg

Jump :thumbsup_anim:

IMG_1894JPG2ndjump.jpg

IMG_1926JPGviewdocsunset.jpg

IMG_1958JPGflyingseagulls.jpg

IMG_1981JPGbucketofrogs.jpg

Ah children(priceless) the results of frog catching :canadian:

IMG_2113JPGryfishinatdoc.jpg

My 9 yr old son would put in 6 to 8 hours a day shore fishing .He made alot of friends including the older kids some teens

who were afraid to take their fish off the hook.My boy was helping alot of them with the simple task.

IMG_2127JPGryrockbass.jpg

IMG_2145JPGryfishsideBW.jpg

IMG_2148JPGrydadsmlsunfish.jpg

Father & Son

IMG_2192JPGskunkbag.jpg

We started to get rid of our garbage earlier after a 7pm visit from this guy one night.

IMG_2199JPGchipmunktree.jpg

One morning we heard some objects dropping onto our tent trailer so my wife investigated and we caught

this rodent dropping pine cone after pinecone onto our tent trailer I really think it thought it was funny.

IMG_1831_1.jpg

Junior fishing the locks .plenty of panfish .Thanks Jamie (crazyhook) for the location.

Missed 2 nice bass on the surface :wallbash:

IMG_1840_1.jpg

A visit to Merrickville.Amazing how the locks work on the Rideau.

IMG_2208JPGrydadcanoe.jpg

First nite out in the canoe no fish but I tell ya alot of moron boaters who have no respect for people in canoes.

One jerk in a jet boat who we saw on several occations would blow by I would guess 50 plus MPH within 20 feet of us and others in canoes

including my daughter sending his huge wake at us.no respect I tell ya if I could catch him he would learn some respect.

I took a boating course and it is against the law to do what this jerk did.

One night he passed 6 times I tried to tell the %#!&^)*^$ the brain dead boater to back off the throttle and all he did was wave

I tried to get his number but that boat was just too fast.People like that need to lose their boating privileage.

I have a boat and always respect folks in canoes and kayaks .

I want to thank the guys in the Triton white bass boat(with 175hp Mercury) for slowing down when passing.You guys are true gentleman.

Its time the fines for this become more effective.Ok back to the pics.

IMG_1862_1.jpg

Well my son and I went out another afternoon but it wouldn't last a storm was blowing in we got back with only 5 mins to spare

before the winds picked up big time.Man glad I knew when too go back.

IMG_1863_1.jpg

IMG_1861_1.jpg

IMG_2323JPGbirdbeach.jpg

IMG_2327JPGbirdinflight.jpg

IMG_2345JPGsmlperch.jpg

IMG_2456JPGRobDadcanoe.jpg

Time to get out with my 11 yr old Daughter she is getting to be pretty good with the net. had no time

the first time I lost a nice smallie that bent my medium heavy rod almost in half under the canoe :wallbash: lost it.

IMG_1869_1.jpg

IMG_1870_1.jpg

This Largie was caught on a top water Hedon Super Spook red head white body 4 inches long .a new favorite lure.

IMG_2464JPGmoonoverwater.jpg

IMG_2508JPGlisapegs.jpg

Now my wife was happy to be goin home because she had thousands of mosquito bites.

Here she is with the Freddie Kruger ,Edward Scissor Hand pose.

IMG_1882_1.jpg

Final stop on the way home Timmies in Cornwall Ontario.

Now with added pics.

IMG_1941JPGdragonfly.jpg

IMG_1963JPGfog.jpg

IMG_1983JPGtad.jpg

IMG_1987JPGfrogclimb.jpg

IMG_2155JPGrybluegill.jpg

IMG_2279JPGcereal.jpg

IMG_2326JPGbirdflyt.jpg

IMG_2443JPGcanoerobin.jpg

IMG_2461JPGcanoefar.jpg

I hope you enjoyed week#1 .

Week #2 is in the making.

Mike the Pike :canadian:

Edited by Mike the Pike

Really nice report Mike. Glad you and the family had a good time 'cept for them bibits eatin' away at ya. Really great to see the youngns having a good time. Didn't realise it was so weedy in that part of the Rideau. Thanks for posting Mike.

Good report and pics! :thumbsup_anim::Gonefishing:

I can't believe you spent your vacation in a swamp! :w00t:

lol...that sort of water screams LARGEMOUTH. Hope we see some in part 2. I'm a bit of an photo fiend...love the pic of frogs in the bucket.

lol...that sort of water screams LARGEMOUTH. Hope we see some in part 2. I'm a bit of an photo fiend...love the pic of frogs in the bucket.

Yes Scuro had I put the time in I may have found more Large mouth.I like fishing from the canoe but boaters who wizz by close to the canoe I don't like.One night we fished under a bridge by 9pm the mosquitos were so bad you inhaled them when breathing I would of stuck it out but 2 of my children could not cope with them anymore.Love to bring my boat there because the bass are there just have to put the time in .Justin Hoffman finds them I will go back but with the boat thanks for all the kind comments folks .MTP

Thanks for the kind words and comments all.I has a little rant about one disrespectful boater while out in my canoe.

Its in my report.

What gets to me is the system we have where one can go on line and obtain a boaters licence operator card.

What for ;I don't think it will make people aware of the do's and don't just some basic safety issues.

I took a boaters course and I must say I did learn alot from it.

One thing that was clearly told to us is as a boater you are responsible for your wake.

When approaching a small craft ,Kayak ,Canoe or small boat you must slow down if you are very close to these vessels common sense

is all you need.I know that the kind folks on this board have that respect but the boating world has to make big boats respect the smaller crafts.

If a boater does swamp you or you feel it was a close call try and get the boats ID number you can report him to the OPP or QPP and they will get a fine no questions asked.Sorry just my rant but Morons need to be removed from our waterways.

Mike the Pike