Afternoon on Couch

Cudz

After a rather average morning on Simcoe I decided to go through the narrows and fish Lake Couchiching. I did not get over there until about 1 pm so it was rather warm (beautiful day). I was going to fish the pads and reeds for buckets but decided to try and hit up some smallies instead. I started drop shotting and as soon as my bait got near the bottom I would get a bite. I could not keep the perch off the lure so I just went with it. Honestly I have never had so many hits in such a little bit of time. I probably caught 50 perch in 2 hours and had about 150 hits (albeit some very small bites). Crazy. Great place to take kids.

Caught 3 perch of 12" and one 12.5". I kept a total of nine fish. Only 2 had parasites. Not bad.

What a great day to be on the water. Catching some decent perch was a bonus.

Here is a pic.

couch_perch.JPG

How'd you manage to get any real fishing done with all the BASS guys zipping all over the place pre-fishing for the OBF tourny? I was telling the son and his club mates to try the humps on Couch. as a back up plan.

BTW, Nice perch.

Edited by bigugli

How'd you manage to get any real fishing done with all the BASS guys zipping all over the place pre-fishing for the OBF tourny? I was telling the son and his club mates to try the humps on Couch. as a back up plan.

BTW, Nice perch.

Yeah they were out in force. They have some nice boats. Although I am not a pro Bass fisherman I am sure many of them envied my boat/motor combo.

1960 12' aluminum (very tippy and very leaky) 6hp (max speed 10 mph)

Yeah they were out in force. They have some nice boats. Although I am not a pro Bass fisherman I am sure many of them envied my boat/motor combo.

1960 12' aluminum (very tippy and very leaky) 6hp (max speed 10 mph)

hey don't knock that..my "semi retired" old 12 footer that the kids now use for a row boat has seen more fish than you can shake a stick at over the years...well don't shake the stick too hard it's also leaky and very tippy :lol::Gonefishing: ...ya don't need a $60,000 Ranger to cathc fish that's for sure. :Gonefishing: