Winter Storage Of Reels - Line Off Or On?

Kansas

Just wondering what is suggested as far as storing reels in the winter. I have typically stored my fly rods and reels in the garage with the line and backing left on the reel. Since it does get pretty cold in there was wondering if it best to remove the fly line at least, put on the spool and store in a warmer place. Or simply store the whole reel indoors.

Think I'm losing some life on the line and it's getting to be expensive!

Thanks for any response, criticism, joke....

Robert (aka Kansas)

I store my stuff inside too. I just leave the line on the spools. I've switched to braided now but when I was using mono I would replace it at the beginning of each season anyway.

Fly-lines are definitely expensive, you have to take good care of 'em! A buddy of mine bought an expensive saltwater line for a fishing trip he did to Cuba, used it only once and then put the reel away for a little while.

I guess he didn't rinse it of all the salt or something b/c it was stiff when he tried using it again on another trip...

Mike

Thanks for the responses...

I was kinda leaning toward bringing the spooled reels indoors so will give that a try this year. Normally I just store in the garage, then in the early spring take off the fly line and soak in warm water to remove the "memory" etc, then re-spool. But I think you are both right about bringing indoors... the cold temp must affect longevity - maybe makes the line more brittle?

Will keep them in the dresser drawer where my wife keeps her nightgowns, so they can remain comfy cozy until the thaw! Just hope she doesn't fine 'em first!

Thanks again...

Robert

For storing the fly line inside should be fine. I was a fly fishing guide in New Zealand for two years and we used to stretch our fly line, right down the drive way and then coat it with a floating dressing every once in a while. Of coarse if it is a floating line. Otherwise there is no reason to take your line off you spool. It should be fine. You can wash your fly line in hot soapy water if it is dirty. Little bits of grid with eat away at your eyelids on your rod and prevent you from your best cast.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

AL

PERSONALLY ID STORE ALL MY GEAR INSIDE AT ROOM TEMP!!! IF YOUR UPPER FLOORS ARE TOO DRY ID PUT THEM IN THE BASEMENT!!! NEED SOME MOISTURE!!

NEVER USED FLY LINE JUST DACRON AS BACKING ON MY FLOATREEL(PRETTY MUCH SAME THING IM TOLD)

BUT I TAKE NO CHANCES!! FRESH LINE EVERY YR!!!

....Moisture? They certantly don't need moisture and fly line is nothing like dacron backing.

Robert I've used my fly line in some pretty harsh conditions (winter) and don't believe cold will bother the line what so ever. What you will find though is the line becomes quite coily after sitting on the reel over time. This is no biggy just un spool it in the new season and give it a gentle stretch. The rest of your gear should not be affected by the cold either (fishing isn't just a hot weather sport), but be sure to put it in a safe place where it won't get knocked around and do not to store in a manner that can warp the rod and never store it in the same room as your furnace.

I think this bears repeating:

Like Misfish sez ".Back off all the drags,and oil and grease."

Nothing worse after making your first cast in the spring is to find you got a sticky drag or a seized one.... :blush:

Nothing worse then that screaming bearing noise when your casting your baitcaster Beans. Man that drives me to drink,well thats one reason anyways ;):santa::santa::santa:

I store all my reels inside in a cabinet. I back off all my drags and also clean and oil when required. My Shimano reels have been excellent over the years with requiring next to no maintenance. I strip any mono of fluorocarbon off my reels, but for my Fins PRT braid I leave it on as it lasts for more than one season and I change it when required.

All me reels are stored inside, I've invested too much money in my toys to neglect them. Consider the other items you store in your garage, the dust particles alone can damage the bearing, drag washers and even the finish.

I always save the boxes my reels come in, remove the reel from the rod, box it and store on a shelf, rod on a rack.:thumbsup_anim:

Edited by JFR

Couldn't check the reposnse this weekend but just did this morning and wanted to say thanks!

Thought I was asking a dumb question but certainly learned alot...Surprised at the responses

Really appreciate the info everyone. Will follow all the advice and hopefully have an easier time in the spring!

Robert