Importing a boat

Rizzo

So I'm heading to Myrtle Beach with the family, and was wondering what it takes to import a boat from the states. Is it as simple as hooking it up and signing a few forms when you reach the border? What kind of taxes would be added? Would you get back the taxes that you paid to the state it was purchased in? If you buy privately, do you have to register the boat in that state or can you just show up at the border with a "bill of sale" that buddy has written out for you? Any advice would be appreciated.

the only thing i might ad is.....bring a paper trail down with you....and dont lie.......customs has a way of finding things out....heard of a few horrow storys regarding customs....second thing if your buyin used.....contact a local marina and get it checked out!!!...compression tests and a leak down test....

also you may want to take into consideration of how to pay for it...their banks dont reconized our banks....and with out acc't numbers being exchanged very hard to wire money.....you can pay it thru pay pal...but that 2 points.....could be alot of money if your talkin big bucks.....if you bring cash....remember legally only 9999.00 is allowed over the border with out declaring it....make sure you have all the angles covered...

at customs here in canada youll pay for the gst on the whole purchase and pst on the boat only.....time of regersting the trailer here they will ding you the pst

too bad you waited this long as our dollar is takin a beating i think its round 93 cents.....

all in all good luck.....

the only thing i might ad is.....bring a paper trail down with you....and dont lie.......customs has a way of finding things out....heard of a few horrow storys regarding customs....second thing if your buyin used.....contact a local marina and get it checked out!!!...compression tests and a leak down test....

also you may want to take into consideration of how to pay for it...their banks dont reconized our banks....and with out acc't numbers being exchanged very hard to wire money.....you can pay it thru pay pal...but that 2 points.....could be alot of money if your talkin big bucks.....if you bring cash....remember legally only 9999.00 is allowed over the border with out declaring it....make sure you have all the angles covered...

at customs here in canada youll pay for the gst on the whole purchase and pst on the boat only.....time of regersting the trailer here they will ding you the pst

too bad you waited this long as our dollar is takin a beating i think its round 93 cents.....

all in all good luck.....

Good points..... US banks do recognise CDN banks if you have all of the appropriate info to give them.

The MTO people are a real pain in the butt so know when they are supposed to do before going.

Get the trailer and boat on seperate bills.

Do the RIV stuff online it will be quicker. Check out RIV.ca

Canadian compliance label is no longer required. But, the feds say you should ask the boat manufacturer for one.

forrest

Yup, definitely check out the RIV site for all the required documents..

My dad bought a '07 2500HD Duramax down in Florida when we were vacationing.. Was a pretty simple process to bring it back across the boarder and getting it registered here in Ontario.