Seeking Richmond Hill Area Boat Storage

young_one

Its been more than a year since my family bought the boat, we have always parked it on the driveway. A recent letter from the Richmond Hill Zoning Office told us to remove or else legal actions will be taken. As unfair as it seems, I realize there is no loop hole in the system, and Im looking for boat storage anywhere near Hwy 7 and Bayview area.

HELP ME! I have 11 days to find a storage place for my boat. :(

There are similar bylaws in our area too, however there must be 10 boats and a few motorhomes and campers within a few blocks parked in driveways, some waaay bigger than mine. Cliffs absolutely right it doesn't usually get policed unless someone complains. I guess it's all down to someones perspective of what is obtrusive. If you have a long(ish) driveway then there is less chance of it offending the neighbors.

I have a double garage with a single large door. I can get the boat in at an angle if I clean out some of the "stuff" that's taking up the space right now......... :D

Its been more than a year since my family bought the boat, we have always parked it on the driveway. A recent letter from the Richmond Hill Zoning Office told us to remove or else legal actions will be taken. As unfair as it seems, I realize there is no loop hole in the system, and Im looking for boat storage anywhere near Hwy 7 and Bayview area.

HELP ME! I have 11 days to find a storage place for my boat. :(

Sorry to hear that man i also have had the same problem but i let it be and left the boat right where it sat and nothing ever came of it just the one letter that i got in the mail.

The way i see it you payed for your house you can keep what ever you want on it and around it.

There will always be a few people that have nothing better to do with there time but complain.

Hope you find a spot for the boat.

I am by no means a lawyer. I feel for your dilema. We have neighborhoods here with that and I think it is a crock, again, your house saying. When you moved in did you sign agreeing to this bylaw? If not I don't think they can do much about it.

I'm sure the lady down the street with the windmill in her front lawn is just as offensive.

The way i see it you payed for your house you can keep what ever you want on it and around it.

Fortunately the province & the municipalities don't agree with you. That's why we have a Planning Act, Official Plans and Zoning Bylaws. It's all (supposed to be) about logical controlled growth, and utilization of all parts of our province. The intent is to protect the character (for want of a better word) of an area thereby assuring to some extent the enjoyment of the area by the residents and giving reasonable assurance to prospective property buyers that the neighbourhood isn't going to change dramatically right after they move in.

Some of these regs are actually written into the local zoning bylaw (in accordance with the Official Plan) while others may be covenants that were established at the creation of the subdivision to assure a certain set of property standards.

The Ministry of Municipal Affairs & Housing is front & centre in this regulating these controls and occasionally they see fit to repeal or overrule some, like the case of clotheslines that hit the news media recently.

It's possible this boat thing may be a violation of one or more of several regulations or restrictive covenants. Overnight parking in a setback zone, storing trailers etc on a residential property, developer's agreement about cars only parking, etc.

Occasionally these regs seem to be a tad draconian but look at how some folks push the envelope in these situations. If one person is allowed to park a 12' tinny on a small trailer, how do they stop the guy who wants to park his 38' sailboat at his house, or his big diesel 18 wheeler. Unless some of these regs are enforced stringently there will inevitably be ridiculous contraventions.

Suppose your neighbour works for a dead animal processing plant and brings his truck home each night. That might make for a really lousy bbq in your back yard if you're downwind on a warm summer evening.

It's merely an extension of the law that protects your quiet residential area from being filled with offensive commercial operations, and protects the resale value on your high-priced real property. It may seem unfair on occasions like this but in the big picture it's for the public good.

JF

I am by no means a lawyer. I feel for your dilema. We have neighborhoods here with that and I think it is a crock, again, your house saying. When you moved in did you sign agreeing to this bylaw? If not I don't think they can do much about it.

You don't get to make that decision. It would be like deciding whether or not you want to pay taxes. These bylaws are in place already and enforceable by the municipality. If you've done your due diligence you know what you can and can't do and make your house buying decision based on that.

JF

By law is usually enforced if a complaints received, when that happens all the boats, campers-whatevers in violation in that area receive letters. The law has to be evenly applied, so one complaint gets everyone close by. Now if its not one of your neighbours that complained then moving the boat for a month, or doing nothing at all may cause no further encounters with by law enforcement.

Your allowed 2-3 nights every 30 days the way some by laws are written-check out the wording.

There are similar by-laws in many towns. My understanding is that where I live, they will only enforce it if someone complains about it sitting there. Good luck....

I looked up the local bylaws to see what they said....not a word about boats in good operating condition not being allowed. The only thing I saw close to it was 'only vehicles that are part of normal home dwelling' were allowed.....a boat is certainly normal. Did I miss something?

forrest

I looked up the local bylaws to see what they said....not a word about boats in good operating condition not being allowed. The only thing I saw close to it was 'only vehicles that are part of normal home dwelling' were allowed.....a boat is certainly normal. Did I miss something?

forrest

Typically obscure language. Some planning departments might argue enthusiastically that a boat on a trailer is not a part of a normal household. That kind of language must be interpreted any way the planning department wants to interpret it, and if you don't like their interpretation you could appeal to the OMB I suppose.

JF

Sorry to hear that man i also have had the same problem but i let it be and left the boat right where it sat and nothing ever came of it just the one letter that i got in the mail.

There will always be a few people that have nothing better to do with there time but complain.

Hope you find a spot for the boat.

you serious? i see a bunch of boats in driveways within walking distance of your place..

Typically obscure language. Some planning departments might argue enthusiastically that a boat on a trailer is not a part of a normal household. That kind of language must be interpreted any way the planning department wants to interpret it, and if you don't like their interpretation you could appeal to the OMB I suppose.

JF

Good info John.

If boats are not normal I wonder how my town would explain the nice big boat launch they built....200m away from an existing nice big boat launch?

forrest

Good info John.

If boats are not normal I wonder how my town would explain the nice big boat launch they built....200m away from an existing nice big boat launch?

forrest

The local authorities may well consider the area in their interpretation. For example a boat and trailer may be quite a normal part of family life in Port Carling but perhaps not so readily accepted in a GTA condominium townhouse development with narrow streets and 20 foot long driveways.

JF

• 9 months later...

While I see the point in trying to keep it fair for everyone I just can't see the comparison of 12' tin boat to a 35'+ RV. They should have some size restrictions in place to keep people happy. Infact a Ford F150 is bigger than most boats, at least in view obstruction. My next door neighbour has 3 SUVs parked in his driveway, it's practically a wall of metal next to me. If he had 1 SUV and a 12' tin boat, I could at least see down the street but of course there's no law with how many SUVs you can have....

By law is usually enforced if a complaints received, when that happens all the boats, campers-whatevers in violation in that area receive letters. The law has to be evenly applied, so one complaint gets everyone close by. Now if its not one of your neighbours that complained then moving the boat for a month, or doing nothing at all may cause no further encounters with by law enforcement.

Your allowed 2-3 nights every 30 days the way some by laws are written-check out the wording.

This happened on my street where one neighbor didn't like the fact that the neighbor across the street had a boat in his driveway. Small 16 footer at that. He was hounded by the by-law guy here till he moved it...Nobody else on the street including myself were bothered...Just because that particular neighbor didn't like the one across the street he got hounded..Not right in my opinion....She's moved now so the other neighbors boat is back in the driveway....Good riddence to her...

Somewheres between Yonge Street and Bayview Avenue running north from Elgin Mill there is a street which has a storage locker company...I used to rent a locker there but saw several boats on trailers in the yard...can't remember the name...sorry...