Need serious advices on when to take days off to fish stream salmon

Guest Fishing For Life

Guest Fishing For Life

Hey guys,

It is getting close to that time of the year which salmons are coming into the lake-O river system!

I have got so into it that I have decided to take days off work to fish them

Now that I have 5 days left ... I am thinking about taking 1~2 days off per week

The problem is ... when should I book them?

say, 2nd week of Sept? or 1st week of Oct?

Guest Fishing For Life

From the picture, one should be able to tell that my heart is still for rainbows

the only reason why I want to take days off for salmon is simply because salmon run only

lasts for so long (1.5 month? I think) whereas rainbow lasts until late March and not to mention

I have another 3 weeks of vacations to use for 2009 ... heehee,

it is all about planning ahead!

Guest Fishing For Life

Why do people think fishing stream salmon sucks?

Is it because they are tired and dont have too much space to run?

I havent had much luck when tossing spoons at habour for the past two years ...

and my shoulders & wrists got so sore ..

They think it sucks because salmon really dont feed when they're in the rivers and all you're doing is drifting a bag accidentally, or purposely into their mouth, which although legal, is pretty much snagging. Its a catch 22. That being said, the strongest runs will be in mid - late september, and I'm sure half the people on this board that complain about it will be down there getting their eggs for rainbow season

Why do people think fishing stream salmon sucks?

Is it because they are tired and dont have too much space to run?

I havent had much luck when tossing spoons at habour for the past two years ...

and my shoulders & wrists got so sore ..

I do toss hardware, but the most fun and effective way to fish for staging salmon is floatfishing with huge chunks of fresh salmon skein under a float in the harbour. They can't resist it and the strikes are wild.

You can go down to any cleaning station on Lake O in August and collect all the skein you want.

Guest Fishing For Life

Can I go to any Lake-O habour to fish salmon?

I was once told that Credit River Habour is not allowed for fishing

due to the possibility of hooking into other people there ..

Should I upgauge my line to 8-lbs-floro+12-lbs-main from 6-lbs-floro+10-lbs-main?

How deep should I run the bait at?

Thanks again!

Not sure if I should start fishing at habour now ..

what do you say

Can I go to any Lake-O habour to fish salmon?

I was once told that Credit River Habour is not allowed for fishing

due to the possibility of hooking into other people there ..

Should I upgauge my line to 8-lbs-floro+12-lbs-main from 6-lbs-floro+10-lbs-main?

How deep should I run the bait at?

Thanks again!

Not sure if I should start fishing at habour now ..

what do you say

Sure man, you can fish any harbour including the Credit.

Personally I like to use 12lb main and either 8 or 10lb maxima ultragreen for tippet.

Using fluoro certainly won't hurt your chances, but I've never found the need.

If you see salmon rolling around but they're not hitting don't be afraid to run a very short 2-3 foot lead under your float.

Raise the bait way up high, sometimes it makes all the difference.

Also, use BIG chunks of skein on an approprite sized hook. Golf ball sized and bigger (maybe TWO golf balls in size :) ).

They'll wolf it down violently trust me.

Now in the Niagara the huge chunk of skein works wonders, but in the clearer western basin tribs I've tried it without much luck. Downsized to quarter sized chunks and I started taking fish. Smaller chunks also have a good shot at taking an incidental trout (my biggest steel & browns come in the fall fishing for salmon), especially at night.

I stopped river fishing for salmon over a decade ago because of all the retards that come out of the wood work overcome with salmon fever. Just piers for me from now on. Plus the fish are in much better condition and put up a MUCH better fight.

If you do want to drift for them, the 1st week of October will be a safer bet than September.

but in the clearer western basin tribs I've tried it without much luck. Downsized to quarter sized chunks and I started taking fish. Smaller chunks also have a good shot at taking an incidental trout (my biggest steel & browns come in the fall fishing for salmon), especially at night.

Yes if you're talking about drifting in the rivers themselves.

In the harbours and estuaries the big chunks rule. :)

the term for fishing for spawning salmon is "flossing", because you are merely putting in their mouth/teeth.

some will strike due to agression, but most are caught by chance.

Catching staging slamon is definitely where its at! full of adrenaline and ready to strike at anything in their way. Not to mention, they haven't lost all their silver yet.

I will pm you when

the bite at night is heavy cont bother taking days off not worth it

glow in the dark cleos and a spot all to yourself = sore arms

i wil;l get back to you

BITEME knows his stuff....I was salmon-less from shore until I talked to him.

I caught my first salmon off the pier on august 18th last year. I had the same dilemma and i booked a couple days in mid october and in early november..... not a fan of the salmon stream fishing, i perfer spending a few nights here and there pier fishing...... ill just wait it out for some steel...

Edited by dobee

Tossing spoons in Devils Hole after a nice zap with a camera flash(the spoons need to be glowinthedark), has always worked for me near the end of August. I haven't been down there in a while, but I doubt you'll find a crowd after midnight :)