I Fished in a Pit.

Rich

Wasn't going to make a report of this but figured what the heck.

Headed out to a local old gravel pit that I've never fished before. Was hoping it had some bass but all I could manage through the day was a ton of small crappie. Brought limited gear since this was basically a scouting mission, and just about everything I brought caught some crappies. Good to know a spot nearby with them, will come in handy for ice fishing. Otherwise, I don't think I'll visit it again too often. Too many better bass spots nearby.

DSC02058.jpg

DSC02060.jpg

You can see how crystal clear the water was in this pic:

DSC02061.jpg

And when I finally had some weight on the line, it turned out to be a crappie with 5lbs of weeds attached, lol

DSC02062.jpg

Edited by Rich

Guest Johnny Bass

Sounds like a fun day. I was drop shooting on Couch and nailing one little guy after another and I still had a blast.I wonder if they are bigger in the fall? I would imagine so.

I really enjoy fishing strip pits like that! :thumbsup_anim:

I've found that wearing camo clothing and staying low or hiding behind trees and rocks really helps when the water is crystal clear like that.

My lures and bait of choice in pits is a 1/8th oz. white inline spinner on 4 lb test on ultra lite tackle, or a single #6 baitholder hook with a 3 in. piecs of live worm with a BB shot about 18" up from the hook on the same tackle.

Hard to say. My first guess is that one of the local farmers put them in. I find it weird however that there are 3 ponds in this place and only one seems to have any fish, and that they're seemingly just crappie. So it could have been a natural introduction. Who knows.