Toronto 401 Traffic (NF)

steve_paul

Heading out tomorrow morning to my brother's place in Rideau Ferry for a few days of relaxing, beer, bbq and bass fishing. Taking the boat up there for the first time and I want to avoid as much 401 traffic as possible through Toronto.

What time of the morning does it start to build and get ugly going thru Toronto. Was figuring on leaving home around 4am which puts me at the airport around 6am - is this a good time or should I leave a little earlier? I don't really feel like heading up the 407 either, would rather leave a little earlier and just stay on the 401.

Thanks.

But....

Friday of long weekend....morning traffic is usually very light....it's the afternoon that will kill you.

Any other commuters have the same experience? Usually, it's about a 45 minutes ride for me from Oshawa to Yonge/Eglinton....but tomorrow it'll be closer to 30 to 35 minutes. I leave at 630am.

Friday of long weekend....morning traffic is usually very light....it's the afternoon that will kill you.

We left on the Thursday night a couple of years ago Cliff and it was the worst drive up there as it was bumper to bumper forever. Think you are right as alot of people will be heading out tonight.

Earlier I get up and leave, the earlier I am fishing so doesn't bother me too much what time we go.

I have to agree with Cliff... as this is the Friday before the long weekend, plus, we are in the middle of July, with a ton of people already out on holidays, my crystal balls says that traffic will be comparatively light.

That being said, your gonna find the 401 to be busy with folks doing the same thing you are vs commuting to work.

Stay in the "core" lanes, tune into AM680 for traffic every ten minutes, put some padding on yer steering wheel and give 'er a go!

HH

I plan on heading up North tommorow Night.

Coming back from up north in December we used the car pool lane once we hit toronto. I was totally gobsmacked at how so many vehicles only had one person in them. That just boggled my mind to no end. It was plain sailing for us we got through using the car pool lane in no time at all while the rest of the traffic was snail pace.

Make sence of that then cuz i still can't.....lol

Have a great weekend. ;)

Edited by nautifish

Weekdays I can drive to Pearson and back to Stratford in 2.5 hours round trip if I get on the road by 4am latest. If I have a meeting at 401/Leslie it takes between 2.5-3 hours one way if I leave home at 6am and the same for the return trip which usually begins at about 3:30pm. In the afternoon the 401 is a pita all the way to Kitchener some days.

I'm beginning to think that the 400 is just always squirrely now after spending a few days up at Collingwood and listening to the complaints of folks who had to drive it.

JF

Traffic was light today coming in from Barrie to TO at 7am. Drive home will most likely be a bit busier as a lot of people skip out of work on Friday and make the trek up north tonight.

Traffic tomorrow morning will be light, but I'm working from home :) I'm not going to chance all the citytards.

"What time of the morning does it start to build and get ugly going thru Toronto. Was figuring on leaving home around 4am which puts me at the airport around 6am - is this a good time or should I leave a little earlier? I don't really feel like heading up the 407 either, would rather leave a little earlier and just stay on the 401."

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

If you miss this start off time.......USE THE 407 and save the grief.

It only cost me about $12-$15.00 to get from the Airport to the last exit on the 407 East.

How much is your SANITY worth when heading out for a weekend of fishing ? :wallbash:

I bet you would paid at least that to get your loved ones off your back in Toronto traffic ! LOL :whistling:

Edited by splashhopper

If you miss this start off time.......USE THE 407 and save the grief.

It only cost me about $12-$15.00 to get from the Airport to the last exit on the 407 East.

How much is your SANITY worth when heading out for a weekend of fishing ? :wallbash:

Like HH said, I will keep an ear on the traffic as I approach Toronto and if it is bad on the 401, I will be heading up the 407.

Decided to leave at 3:30, hope it is not too bad and just take things as they come. Should be a nice quiet drive though as everyone will be asleep about 10 minutes in :clapping:

On the other end of the rush? I'm heading to Kingston tomorrow morning for my military units reunion. Hoping to pass through after the main rush has expired. Should hit the airport area around 9:30-10:00 AM heading east. Will things have lightened up some by then? Is there any major construction area's I should be prepared for?

Best Wishes: Rick

On the other end of the rush? I'm heading to Kingston tomorrow morning for my military units reunion. Hoping to pass through after the main rush has expired. Should hit the airport area around 9:30-10:00 AM heading east. Will things have lightened up some by then? Is there any major construction area's I should be prepared for?

Best Wishes: Rick

You should be fine at that time tomorrow. Morning rush is a lot lighter on Friday's of long weekends. Lot's of ppl are not going to work so the morning is good. Anytime after noon and you'll start hitting traffic though.

No major construction on the 401 to hamper you....mind you, accidents are a pain the butt!!! Good luck on the drive and I hope the reunion goes well.