Nipissing Walleye Pond Update

capt_hooked

Hello folks on the new board. First post here.

On Wednesday we drained the pond for the second time this summer to evaluate our 2nd ever fall fingerling experiment. We successfully released 122 fall fingerlings, ranging in size from 5-7 inches! On site to witness the event were representatives from the MNR and Nipissing First Nations.

Earlier this past July we released 78,000 2" fingerlings into the West Arm area of Lake Nipissing. A few of these were returned to the pond to see if we could raise them through the rest of the summer. Live minnows were invited in from the water supply (a creek feeding several beaver ponds) to be used as food source.

Evidently (some say) the raising of fall walleye fingerings can be very difficult, so we are please of our successful repeat. The first fall fingerlings were released in 2004.

We are now studying (with the help of the MNR) the feasibility of marking these fall fish in order to track them after their release.

The Hwy.64 Fish Hatchery has been raising spring walleye fingerlings on the West Arm of Lake Nipissing for some 17 years now. Recently we have partnered with the South Shore Walleye Hatchery in order to make better use of our resources.

Our group is made up of volunteers and financed through private donations, with some financial and technical support from the MNR. But since most of our financial support is through private donations: (unabashed grovelling here): All donations greatly appreciated! If you wish to help out or learn more about our efforts feel free to email me at: [email protected]

Best Regards,

the capt

Kevin, I think I still have the pictures of me pouring diesel oil into the pond.. man that really freaked me out when I was handed a jerry can and was told "Spread this around the pond" I was like what the heck!!!... then you explained to me the reason why and it was a MNR trick!! I was shocked and amazed at the same time... it is an experiance I will not soon forget. I wish you and the other lodges and private citizens involved in this venture great success... I would love to get up there again this summer and take a few more pics.

All the Best!

Gerritt.

Edited by Gerritt

thanks for the comments all..

Phunter the pond is close to our lodge... within a mile or so.... back in the bush, on private property. The Gentleman who owns the property has been kind enough (for the last 17 years!) to allow us access and use of his land.

btw... ice inside the docks this morning... time to pull the last boat!

Had the opportunity to head out with two gentlemen yesterday for 2 hours of musky fishing (thanks for the invite!). Both members of Muskies Can. in Sudbury. Ice freezing up the rods!... Saw no fish, although earlier in day day they landed a 40+ fish. That'll be the last soft water fish trip here for this year.. for me anyway.