I guess maybe just so it's not too crowded when there'r alot of ppl fishing? Winter ice-fishing is alot slower and much less ppl fish during winter? And the Great lakes are so big it's OK? lol no idea.

Or it could just be the remnant of old regulations back when there wasn't any catch limit from whatever years ago? It's like there'r still laws in some places that it's illegal to bring your cow/sheep in front of the courthouse or something lol

To me it doesn't really make a lot of sense. I think if you are trolling you should be able to use as many rods as you can handle. I understand what Rich is saying but I'm sure we have all caught fish casting or still fishing that have been hooked deep as well. As long as you adhear to the limits I don't see it being a problem.

The way I see it is, if you adhere to the creel/length/slot limits... it shouldn't matter how many rods you use.

For Trolling artifical baits I totaly agree....it makes little sence to me.

I always figured its mearly a way to limit the chances of catching thus increasing the "sporting" aspect, or working towards better conservation etc...

How many deep hooked fish do you have while using bait Rich?... or with lures?

Personaly I used to deep hook Fish fairly often with Live bait....when I used to use live bait that is.

I have not used Live bait in years...not preaching against it or anything, it just not what I do now a days.

As for Deep hooked fish on Lures...its rare for myself?

I've had Smaller lures taken deep occasionaly that got hit by a big Pike I wasn't expecting, but in all 3 cases I've had it happen I was able to remove the hooks effectively.

But it happens...no doubt about it.

Does anyone know the strategy behind the one rod limit?

Why can you use 2 line while ice fishin' and on portions of the Great Lakes, but only 1 in open water away from the aforementioned areas?

.... could y'all please change this law? ;)

GCD,

In Quebec, we have the same thing but during hard water season, we're allowed 5 tipups and only 1 line for soft water :dunno:

If you find someone.....Please let me know

Leechman

Edited by Leechman

Personally I think a part of the reasoning is for the reason Rich mentioned. Even if you plan to catch and release everything that's really no good if half the fish are hooked badly and die an hour later.

Also I think it does prevent people from being really stupid. For example if you can use multiple rods I could fish a pool in the Grand River with 10 rods set up with live bait and prevent anyone else from fishing "my spot". And this may sound stupid to some people but I'm sure if you were allowed to do this some people certainly would take advantage of it. Many times I've seen guys bring their entire families with all their kids and put a rod out for everyone of them while the kids run around 100 feet away. I've seen this before and there's not a lot you can do since the kids don't need a fishing license. Limiting you to one rod allows more people to fish an area and keeps people from taking up a huge area of space. This may not seem relevant to those who fish in boats, but for shore fisherman they know what I mean.

How many deep hooked fish do you have while using bait Rich?... or with lures?

I actuall think I've had more deep hooked fish with lures than live bait.

I use 3 rods at a time, sometimes down here and it is rare for me to have a deep hooked fish using live bait.

In the Fall of the year when fishing with inline spinners and 1 rod is when I have most of my deep hooked fish.

Once in a while with live bait - especially perch fishing. I hate hooking a 4 inch perch or sunfish that swallowed the hook and having to take it home. Need an Exacto knife to fillet it, LOL

With lures, never.. Only time I've seen is a pike inhaling a spoon.. I stay away from lures that are likely to be deep hooked, or hooks with trebles for that matter. I do use them if I need to.. but it's rare.

However, you and I GCD have a lot more experience than many on the water. Many I've seen using live bait sit there while their rod is going off and don't even know they have a bite. My buddy Josh used to deep hook fish all the time, it's the only time he caught anything is if something swallowed it, lol. He just didn't know how to detect bites. There are a lot of anglers like him out there believe me.

Please keep in mind I'm not advocating the one rod rule, I'm simply giving guesses as to why it's in place by the government.

Edited by Rich

The law is there for one reason and one reason only so that you don't leave a rod "UNATTENDED".... unfortunately like a lot of laws this one doesn't exactly work either as most of the guys I know who bottom fish pretty leave their rods for long periods of time to socialize, eat, drink, imbibe, inhale and party. However that is what the CO I asked about it said. Apparently he thought that he could actually charge some one from being far enough away from their rod with something but didn't really explain what it would be. (wasn't ice fishing although there was ice floating by at the time LOL)

Why they don't want rods unattended is because some fish will pull the rod into the water and that creates a whole list of issues... Deep hooking is certainly one of them. A fish towing around a rod for days could be hard on them too...

they just opened the lower niagara up for 2 rods last season in the new regs,,,but personally unless you are riggin, I don't see how you could pull it off anyways...when we steelie fish, you gotta work at boat control, presentation ect, and sometimes it's hard to fish with one rod and keep control of everything :lol: , all I wouls say you would practically wind up with is, a whole whack of lost tackle, and probabl;y a lost rod no problem if you tried for long :huh: , and when the fishin is hot,you can have 20-30 fish mornings between 2-3 guys in the boat, I can't see how you would try to fight 2 big airborn steelies at once...some into the high teens and control the boat, watch for other boats and the shore with the current, and still get to the gas motor if you needed too :dunno::lol::Gonefishing:

I just editted the post to be a little more descriptive...I have to add the 2 rod rule only applies to fishing in a boat, and NOT from shore, and it has to be "open waters", the following waters are excluded and only one rod permitted...Jordan harbour,Hamilton harbour,Toronto harbour<Frenchman's bay,MUrray canal,Presqu'le Bay,Weller's bay,Eastlake,West lake,BOQ(west of Glenora ferry)St Lawrence River(east of Bishop's Point and the easternmost tips of Howe and Wolfes islands) and all other lake ontario Tribs

I just thought I should clarify some of the details here so it doesn't give the worng people the idea that it's a 2 rod free for all..lol

Edited by jwl