Planning a Alberta/BC RV trip with kids.

wuchikubo

Hey all,

I've booked a flight to Calgary and an RV to go around in for July 2-14.

Okay, now that the trip is confirmed for this year I'd like to know if anyone has any experience with any one day / half day saltwater charters? (in BC).

Disregard the original post from July 23:

Thanks everyone for the input, it looks like we'll put the trip on hold for a year or two so we can plan out a more not-so-rushed trip.

Initial post:

I haven't taken a vacation in a few years now and have decided this year I'll take two weeks off (mid Aug to end of aug) and take the family on a grand road trip from Toronto to Vancouver (possibly Victoria too) via our minivan.

I'd like to stay on the Canadian side of things to give the kids an idea of Canada (but may consider using the US route on the way back).

I would like to see if there are any suggestions on which places are definite "don't miss" spots along the way there and back. Although I would love to meet up with OFNers on the way, I'm not sure how much my wife will put up with me if I get side tracked too much ;) . I'll be bringing at least one fishing rod for sure.

And Yes, some have called be nuts for going when the gas prices are this high, but I figure, next year it'll be higher, so best do it now.

So far this is what I have planned (it's in the early stages and not much but plans can always change).

Alberta: Dino graveyard

BC: Banff, Whistler (possibly), Vancouver, Victoria.

Thanks for any input,

Stan

Edited by HearingFish

When I was about 10 years old, my family flew out to BC, where my dad bought a company car and we drove it home to Toronto.

While in Vancouver, we visited the Capilano Suspension Bridge, the Vancouver Sea Aquarium, Grouse Mountain....and Whistler. Having a snowball fight in July was pretty cool. Our travels then took us to the Okanagan Valley (Kelowna), where they had some friends. Visited the Flintstone's Theme Park (no longer there), and learned about the Ogopogo...Canada's Loch Ness Monster.

After that we drove to Jasper and rented a chalet for a few days....it was pretty cool there. From there we visited the Columbia Icefields on the way to Banff. That was awesome! Got to go out on snowmobile buses right on the glaciers there. Once in Banff, we went to the Sulpher Hot Springs and Lake Louise.

It was a blur from there....we drove straight from Banff to Thunder Bay in one day. Left Thunder Bay and saw the Big Nickel Mine Tours in Sudbury before heading home.

All in all, it was an AMAZING trip. I was only 10...my younger brother was 8 and my older brother was 14 at the the time. We were never bored, it was an awesome time.

Edited by ccmt

I think it's a great time for a trip like that. A lot of folks will be put off by high gas prices so the hotels and restaurants (or campgrounds) will be less busy, and perhaps even cheaper. In reality, how much extra will gas actually cost you anyway? Say 9000 kliks round trip - an extra $150 tops over last year, unless yer mileage is really awful? You might save that in reduced accommodation costs.

We used to head off on trips like that with our guys with little more decided than which direction we were going. They always worked out fine.

Have fun.

JF

Met my brother in Edmonton last year.

Did Jasper, Banff, Glacier National Park (states) and the Road to the Sun, through Yellowstone to Jackson hole, back through the other side of Yellowstone, Bear Tooth Pass, Custer State Park, Badlands, Mt. Rushmore, Crazy Horse Mountain, Field of Dreams.

An unbelievable trip and experience. Took 8 days though and that was in high gear.

I would highly recommend any of these and would be glad to supply extra info if interested.

When I was about 10 years old, my family flew out to BC, where my dad bought a company car and we drove it home to Toronto.

While in Vancouver, we visited the Capilano Suspension Bridge, the Vancouver Sea Aquarium, Grouse Mountain....and Whistler. Having a snowball fight in July was pretty cool. Our travels then took us to the Okanagan Valley (Kelowna), where they had some friends. Visited the Flintstone's Theme Park (no longer there), and learned about the Ogopogo...Canada's Loch Ness Monster.

After that we drove to Jasper and rented a chalet for a few days....it was pretty cool there. From there we visited the Columbia Icefields on the way to Banff. That was awesome! Got to go out on snowmobile buses right on the glaciers there. Once in Banff, we went to the Sulpher Hot Springs and Lake Louise.

It was a blur from there....we drove straight from Banff to Thunder Bay in one day. Left Thunder Bay and saw the Big Nickel Mine Tours in Sudbury before heading home.

All in all, it was an AMAZING trip. I was only 10...my younger brother was 8 and my older brother was 14 at the the time. We were never bored, it was an awesome time.

I only vaguely remember a trip with my parents when I a about 8 and the destination was Calgary. I think I slept most of the trip, but I do recall seeing a traffic jam on the highway in the prairies due to a cow dead on the side of the trans-canada highway.

Those were some great suggestions, I'll have to look it up and consider adding them in to the plans. Thanks.

I think it's a great time for a trip like that. A lot of folks will be put off by high gas prices so the hotels and restaurants (or campgrounds) will be less busy, and perhaps even cheaper. In reality, how much extra will gas actually cost you anyway? Say 9000 kliks round trip - an extra $150 tops over last year, unless yer mileage is really awful? You might save that in reduced accommodation costs.

We used to head off on trips like that with our guys with little more decided than which direction we were going. They always worked out fine.

Have fun.

JF

Thanks John, it was kind of what you mentioned with the lower traffic that has me thinking it might just work out fine. I drive a Chev Venture that gets decent highway mileage so I'm not overly worried.

Stan

On the way there or back take the Chi-Cheemaun ferry between Tobermory and Manitoulin Island.

The Sault is a fair drive for one day, especialy if stopping in Sudbury.

have fun.

Thanks Dave,

I have been pondering the ferry trip as well, but not sure if the timing of the trip would work out in favor of the schedule. I'll revisit the idea again.

Hey Stan, I did this trip about 4 years ago. Went through the states though on the way there, canada on the way back.

Here are some things to see on the way if you go the states route, which is far far better then the canadian route?

Started in Hamilton:

Day 1: Drove through Detroit then Indy then through Chicago. First night stayed in Maddison WI.

Day 2: up to St. Paul Minn, and Mall of America. HUGE Mall. about 6 times the size of square one.

a 2 hour detour will get you to Lambeau Field and ROLLIE and HELENS Musky Shop (before Mall of america)

Then from Mall of America we went to Mitchell South Dakota. Home of the Corn Palace. (look it up) Also in Mitchell, Cabelas.

Day 2 stayed in Souix Falls SD.

Day 3: Across south dakota to THE BADLANDS. Simply amazing. Hidalgo was filmed there. From the Badlands, hit Wall Drug. If you dont know what wall drug is look it up. Neat to see, but kinda odd. Also the Dances with Wolves museum is there. Expensive but again need to see. From there you head into the Black Hills of South Dakota. We went to Mount Rushmore, then Crazy Horse, the Hair Pin Hwy was closed (only open till 6PM or something) but supposed to be AMAZING. Then on the way out of the Black hills there is Deadwood. What a town to see. The original Deadwood. NOTE: before hitting the Badlands you drive for about 10 miles of nothing but Sunflowers. A sight to see on its own. No man made structure other then the Hwy and sunflowers. Day 3 ended in Gillette Wyoming.

Day 4: The Devils Tower of Wyoming. Again look it up. its so amazing. Off through the Buckhorn Mountains and into Cody Wyoming, the home of the Midwest Bullriding. From there, the East Gate of Yellowstone National. If you go this way, Take a COMPLETE day for Yellowstone. There is just far too much in that park to see and it is worth the drive for sure. From Yellowstone you head north into Montana where Day 4 Ended and we stayed in Livingston.

Day 5 we drove to GOING TO THE SUN ROAD. Okay let me just say this, if you have not been on Going to the Sun Road, Go now as they are planning its closure and it was probably the best part of the trip. A 2 hour drive up and down a 7000 ft mountain with breathtaking scenery and NO guardrails. End of Day 5 we were in Fort McCloud. A dump if you ask me.

Day 6: Crowsnest Past and the Frank Slide. Another MUST SEE. as well as Head smashed in buffalo jump. Then north to Calgary, Olympic Stadium and then into Banff and The Glacier Fields then up to Jasper for the end of Day 6.

That drive was simply incredible. there are so many things to see and do and I would do it again in a heartbeat if i could.

I hope this helps.

Hey Stan, I did this trip about 4 years ago. Went through the states though on the way there, canada on the way back.

Here are some things to see on the way if you go the states route, which is far far better then the canadian route?

Started in Hamilton:

Day 1: Drove through Detroit then Indy then through Chicago. First night stayed in Maddison WI.

Day 2: up to St. Paul Minn, and Mall of America. HUGE Mall. about 6 times the size of square one.

a 2 hour detour will get you to Lambeau Field and ROLLIE and HELENS Musky Shop (before Mall of america)

Then from Mall of America we went to Mitchell South Dakota. Home of the Corn Palace. (look it up) Also in Mitchell, Cabelas.

Day 2 stayed in Souix Falls SD.

Day 3: Across south dakota to THE BADLANDS. Simply amazing. Hidalgo was filmed there. From the Badlands, hit Wall Drug. If you dont know what wall drug is look it up. Neat to see, but kinda odd. Also the Dances with Wolves museum is there. Expensive but again need to see. From there you head into the Black Hills of South Dakota. We went to Mount Rushmore, then Crazy Horse, the Hair Pin Hwy was closed (only open till 6PM or something) but supposed to be AMAZING. Then on the way out of the Black hills there is Deadwood. What a town to see. The original Deadwood. NOTE: before hitting the Badlands you drive for about 10 miles of nothing but Sunflowers. A sight to see on its own. No man made structure other then the Hwy and sunflowers. Day 3 ended in Gillette Wyoming.

Day 4: The Devils Tower of Wyoming. Again look it up. its so amazing. Off through the Buckhorn Mountains and into Cody Wyoming, the home of the Midwest Bullriding. From there, the East Gate of Yellowstone National. If you go this way, Take a COMPLETE day for Yellowstone. There is just far too much in that park to see and it is worth the drive for sure. From Yellowstone you head north into Montana where Day 4 Ended and we stayed in Livingston.

Day 5 we drove to GOING TO THE SUN ROAD. Okay let me just say this, if you have not been on Going to the Sun Road, Go now as they are planning its closure and it was probably the best part of the trip. A 2 hour drive up and down a 7000 ft mountain with breathtaking scenery and NO guardrails. End of Day 5 we were in Fort McCloud. A dump if you ask me.

Day 6: Crowsnest Past and the Frank Slide. Another MUST SEE. as well as Head smashed in buffalo jump. Then north to Calgary, Olympic Stadium and then into Banff and The Glacier Fields then up to Jasper for the end of Day 6.

That drive was simply incredible. there are so many things to see and do and I would do it again in a heartbeat if i could.

I hope this helps.

Thanks Mike,

That sounded like a blast. The only thing that may make me consider a state side trip is if my passport (which I haven't used in quite some time) is still valid, but first I have to dig it up and check it. lol. The new border crossing rules are a deterrent for me, as I don't like long line ups.

I've been leaning more on the Canadian side of things as my wife is already has a pro-USA perception (thinks it's boring here) and would like to show her that Canada has many good things too.

Thanks again,

Stan

One way across the prairies is pro-Canada enuf for anybody. :whistling:

If yer gonna do it both ways plan a marathon (overnighter) so you'll have more daylight hours in the Rockies. I've slept in the back of my Venture plenty of times. It'll be fine for the kids, whatever their ages. And the money you save on hotel rooms will more than pay for the gas you burn. My wife erupts whenever I suggest doing this. mebbe yours has a better sense of adventure.

JF

Take 2 extra weeks, for a 2 week round trip you will need to average around 7 hours of driving every day, for 9000 kms that is 100 hours sitting in a car, with kids this is too much time cooped up.

Dan

Absolutely right........not sure how much of a vacation it would be and how much you would see other than a hotel room and the inside of the minivan.

You would need to average 100km/hr for 7 hours/day x 7 days/week x 2 = 9800kms....you are a brave man!

As others have suggested, you really should add at least another week to the trip. Just the "can't miss" attractions in British Columbia alone could eat up a week... esp. if you intend on hitting Victoria.

One of the things I hate most about the drive through Canada is being in Ontario for "three sleeps". This could put a real drag on the trip once your kids wake up for the third time and say "Are we still in Ontario?". If you MUST do the Canada side, do it on the way home.

You won't miss much bypassing Ontario-Saskatchawan but I think it would be worth the extra driving to go through Alberta into BC. as this map shows.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&hl=en&....107422&z=4

As others have suggested, you really should add at least another week to the trip. Just the "can't miss" attractions in British Columbia alone could eat up a week... esp. if you intend on hitting Victoria.

One of the things I hate most about the drive through Canada is being in Ontario for "three sleeps". This could put a real drag on the trip once your kids wake up for the third time and say "Are we still in Ontario?". If you MUST do the Canada side, do it on the way home.

You won't miss much bypassing Ontario-Saskatchawan but I think it would be worth the extra driving to go through Alberta into BC. as this map shows.

Okay SP, now you've got me a bit worried. I can only extend the trip to Sept 1st, as the 2nd is the first day of school for the kids. I guess I'd better plan on leaving on Saturday the 16th to get as much time as possible.

MM, how long did your trip take?

I remember doing the same trip with my brother and dad when I was twelve and it was a lot of fun. We camped it from Ontario to BC usually staying in KOA campgrounds. I noticed for Saskatchewan you dont have anything listed yet. We stayed right at the RCMP recruit depot. They have a campground right on sight and they offer full tours. I think it would be something your kids would find interesting.

Enjoy the holidays

"I can only extend the trip to Sept 1st, as the 2nd is the first day of school for the kids."

I'd pull my kids out of elementary school for 3 weeks for a trip like this with them. Seriously, if you extend your time to a realistic 3 weeks that allows you to actually stop and take a pi$$ now and then, and check out a site or two, well... this in my opinion is every bit as much or more of a learning experience than what they'll get out of a few missed days at school.

It's funny, I find so many parents locked into the mindset that if their kids miss a little school that their whole precious little worlds will fall apart and they'll forever be trying to catch up. It's bullocks... the parents and kids actually lose out because of missed opportunity. So it's the first day of school... they'll be about 11 or 12 years of first days of school.

March Break, Summer Break, Christmas Break... None of them are any break at all for the parent. Take your vacation Hearingfish. Take as much of it as you can, make as much out of it as you can. Show your kids that mom and dad can teach them a thing or two about the big world as well. Don't stress yourself out with a tight 2 week trip that you may only ever get one chance in your life to do. Be wise about this.

And for God's Sake... don't just drive Canada if you can help it. My folks are near 60 now and they both just returned from a 3000 mile southern/eastern road trip on the Goldwing. With two weeks they wished they had more time because of not only all the sites, but all the great folks they met in the U.S. while there.

Just my ...... $0.03

I've been to Vancouver a few times and really enjoyed going to Stanley Park, Grouse Mountain and Lighthouse Park (West Vancouver).

I've also been to Whistler but wasn't the best since it rained the whole time. :wallbash:

You might also want to go fishing too while your there on the Fraser river. :Gonefishing:

Have Fun!

We took 13 days to do it. but we stayed at Jasper park lodge since a buddy worked there and it was amazingly cheap.

We only took just over 3 days to get home through canada. We stopped at West Edmonton Mall the first night, stayed in South Edmonton Delta, then the next night. Portage la Prairie night 2. Marathon Ontario night 3 was home on the 4th day.

We could have spent another 10 days EASILY.

Whatever you choose to do though, I would definitely recommend the USA trip as it was FAR FAR more exciting then the canadian side unfortunately.

I remember doing the same trip with my brother and dad when I was twelve and it was a lot of fun. We camped it from Ontario to BC usually staying in KOA campgrounds. I noticed for Saskatchewan you dont have anything listed yet. We stayed right at the RCMP recruit depot. They have a campground right on sight and they offer full tours. I think it would be something your kids would find interesting.

Enjoy the holidays

Thanks RS,

I'll have to look into the campsites, I've also seen somewhere that staying in some parks are possibly free.

"I can only extend the trip to Sept 1st, as the 2nd is the first day of school for the kids."

I'd pull my kids out of elementary school for 3 weeks for a trip like this with them. Seriously, if you extend your time to a realistic 3 weeks that allows you to actually stop and take a pi$$ now and then, and check out a site or two, well... this in my opinion is every bit as much or more of a learning experience than what they'll get out of a few missed days at school.

It's funny, I find so many parents locked into the mindset that if their kids miss a little school that their whole precious little worlds will fall apart and they'll forever be trying to catch up. It's bullocks... the parents and kids actually lose out because of missed opportunity. So it's the first day of school... they'll be about 11 or 12 years of first days of school.

March Break, Summer Break, Christmas Break... None of them are any break at all for the parent. Take your vacation Hearingfish. Take as much of it as you can, make as much out of it as you can. Show your kids that mom and dad can teach them a thing or two about the big world as well. Don't stress yourself out with a tight 2 week trip that you may only ever get one chance in your life to do. Be wise about this.

And for God's Sake... don't just drive Canada if you can help it. My folks are near 60 now and they both just returned from a 3000 mile southern/eastern road trip on the Goldwing. With two weeks they wished they had more time because of not only all the sites, but all the great folks they met in the U.S. while there.

Just my ...... $0.03

Thanks Drew,

I'll give it serious consideration as I have never had such an opportunity, my parents were always so by the book that I've grown accustom to academic scheduling as well, but since they're only in Gr 3 and SK I think I might just take more time.

We took 13 days to do it. but we stayed at Jasper park lodge since a buddy worked there and it was amazingly cheap.

We only took just over 3 days to get home through canada. We stopped at West Edmonton Mall the first night, stayed in South Edmonton Delta, then the next night. Portage la Prairie night 2. Marathon Ontario night 3 was home on the 4th day.

We could have spent another 10 days EASILY.

Whatever you choose to do though, I would definitely recommend the USA trip as it was FAR FAR more exciting then the canadian side unfortunately.

Mike, you're putting a dagger into my hopes of providing a truly Canadian trip idea. I'll have to check on the passport soon then.

Thanks everyone for their kind input so far.

Stan