my weeks fishing pics

limeyangler

Hi Y'all,

Managed to get out 4 times in the last 9 days or so, and here's what was happening.

I have been back to my usual haunt of mile and trap lake to see if the bass were still in shallow or moved onto the deeper reefs.....well I got some on the topwater, 3 in all, which suggests they have moved deeper as 2 weeks ago we were managing at least 15-20 each per outing. I don’t mind though as it always fun catching and I did get my PB smallie that day of 20"...........

FOR A 20" SMB HE DID NOT PUT UP MUCH OF A FIGHT

http://s263.photobucket.com/albums/ii158/v...current=103.flv

<embed width="448" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" src="http://i263.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid263.photobucket.com/albums/ii158/vishuscirquel/103.flv">

MORE INCHES FOR TEAM#4

IMG_1386.jpg

On the way home I decided to try for my supper....so stopped at my favorite little walleye spot. On the approach I noticed a Heron sitting fishing for his supper too, I got a snap of him but was surprised that it let me get within 10 feet for a really nice close-up picture.

THOUGHT I BETTER TAKE THE PICCY BEFORE HE TOOK OFF

IMG_1391.jpg

WAS SURPRISED HOW CLOSE HE LET ME GET

IMG_1395.jpg

The fishing had died down a bit around the island and I only managed this little guy in about half an hour of trying with jig and minnow.

IMG_1381.jpg

I moved off the island around 100yards and tried my luck on the reefs, which was a bit better and within 15 minutes had my 4 fish all around 16"-17".

IMG_1397.jpg

IMG_1396.jpg

After that little expedition work kinda got in the way of fishing....but what has really scuppered getting out has been the weather!!!...it’s been rain...rain...rain....with big storms and very...very strong winds. By Saturday of last week I was beginning to go a bit stir crazy, but the wind was up, the thunder and rain was hammering down all day, and my boat was in the garage because I had pulled out the water because of the high winds. But even though there was a 30kmh wind it was a westerly and I knew that a small lake with good bass fishing just up the highway would be sheltered....so at around 6pm I got the ok from Mrs. Limeyangler to take off for a while. Well the fishing was not that great, but it was still nice to be out....only managed these 3 little guys and a load of small jackfish. Most of the bigger fish coming on the bobber with a large live minnow set at 6-7' deep on a rocky outcrop with a shallow shelf on the edge of deep water with a weed bed on one side.

IMG_1388.jpg

IMG_1408.jpg

IMG_1409.jpg

Work rudely interrupted fishing on Sunday, but managed Monday and Tuesday with my buddy Chuck.

Like I said my boat was out of the water but Chuck had just bought an old 12' boat and 5hp motor package and wanted to drag it into some more remote lakes for some walleye...sounded great to me so we set off on Monday with chuck's pal Mel and his son Pat to find Cherry Lake which is connected by a small creek to Lac Seul .

After a nightmare trying to find the entrance access to the lake, and realizing that the Offroad Mapbook was wrong and not us, we got to the access roads...the first two goat trails into the lake were washed out...and the one that was not was only suitable for using an ATV as it was still a good 1/2 mile to the lake and completely flooded in some places.....and we did not feel like hauling the boats on our backs in and out...specially since Chuck has a back injury anyway. We did walk down to the lake and it looked awesome....we may be going to try it next Sunday as Mel owns 2 ATVs.

CAN’T GET THROUGH THIS ONE .

IMG_1411.jpg

CAN’T GET THROUGH THIS ONE EITHER

IMG_1413.jpg

IMG_1414.jpg

AHHHH....FINALLY A WAY IN......

IMG_1415.jpg

THE TRACK NARROWED OUT SO WE THOUGHT WE"D CHECK IT OUT ON FOOT

IMG_1416.jpg

WE COULD NOT GET THE BOATS IN TODAY>>>BUT IT LOOKED AWESOME>>>WE WILL RETURN!!!!!!

IMG_1420.jpg

IMG_1419.jpg

IMG_1417.jpg

We decided to head back to the main logging road....which by the way is now called LYNX LAKE RD.....and NOT....KEIJIC BAY ROAD as per the not so accurate OffRoad Mapbook, and put in to the main Lac Seul lake body by a bridge marked on the map....lol...which was there as shown on the map, I now have a really good excuse to get a handheld GPS! We were still confident of a good days fishing for walleye as Lac Seul is well known for its excellent walleye fishing...in fact I have been meaning to get in there since I moved here, as I have heard it is difficult to actually get keepers because most of the fish are in the slot or above.

AFTER 3 HOURS OF DRIVING AND WASHED OUT ROADS WE WERE FINALLY ON THE WATER!

IMG_1422.jpg

IMG_1423.jpg

Mel and Pat went to the right hand side of the bridge which was a dead end bay about 1 mile long, chuck and me headed under the bridge to the left into the bay which headed out to the main lake. We tried jigging in the current under the bridge, tried worm spinner rig things with minnows, and in the end I said "right...something is wrong if I don’t get at least a jackfish with my mepps after five minutes in all these weeds" well five minutes later still nothing, so we headed back under the bridge to see how Mel and pat were doing, they only had one jackfish...so we decided to head to the end of the bay where there was a nice weed bed off of rock/cliff shoreline.

The weeds were rushes from the shore for about 10 feet, then submerged cabbage weed extending around 10 feet more from the edge of the reeds with scattered clusters of lily pads. the edges of the cabbage weed were pretty well defined on my portable fish finder that I brought with us so we decided to go with hammered bronze worm spinners with minnows and work the edge of the cabbage beds in about 7-9' of water.

It did not take long before chuck got into his first eye of the day...followed by another ...and another....he out fished me 5-1 that day, and the only difference was I was using braid and a stiffer action rod...but it seemed to make all the difference. We threw the marker buoy onto a pile of lily pads where every single pass was producing fish...we had quite a few double headers at that spot.

Mel and Pat came along about an hour later, still with only one Jackfish, mouths dropped open when they saw our stringer(all dead on the stringer as no live fish in your possession on Lac Seul) and we quickly told them what was working and they changed up. After another hour of non stop action for Chuck and me it was becoming apparent that Mel and Pat had only added one more small Jackfish to their stringer...turns out Mel never brought any minnows!!!!!! fancy coming all that way with no live bait??!!!!!??? Anyway....we were kind and gave him some of our dwindling supply, but they still struggled to keep up with us...or Chuck really...he was hammering them....I got the bigger ones though :whistling:

SOME OF OUR FISH

IMG_1424.jpg

IMG_1425.jpg

IMG_1426.jpg

IMG_1428.jpg

IMG_1430.jpg

IMG_1429.jpg

The next day Chuck and myself decided to drag the little boat to Anaway Lake, which is not connect to any main water bodies and is a lot closer to home, as chuck had fished this years ago with his dad and wanted to check it out. No hassles putting in or finding this lake which is only an hour drive from town on the main logging road heading north out of Dryden.

NO HASSLE ACCESS TO ANAWAY LAKE

IMG_1435.jpg

IMG_1437.jpg

Once out on the lake we quickly discovered that it had the same reeds/cabbage weedlines as the lake the day before so we decided to try the same trolling spinners along the edge of the cabbage....with pretty similar results, lots of walleye!! They were not as big as the day before but plenty of them kept us busy, chuck caught the bigger one that day...whilst I swapped to a lighter action rod and mono line and out fished Chuck today 5-1....Chuck also got the smallest one of the day...lol

IMG_1438.jpg

IMG_1439.jpg

IMG_1441.jpg

Again another great days fishing, great company, lots of good natured competition and joking around...what its all about really. There were storms threatening all day and we did get a soaking at the beginning but managed to avoid the rain the rest of the day and the bugs were kind to us too. I think we are gonna try Cherry Lake again with the ATVs on Sunday and I’m gonna be firing up the downriggers for lakers this Thursday hopefully so will post those reports soon...till then tight lines all!

Edited by limeyangler

Great report again Limey! I'm heading out on a little back lake fishing adventure next week...cant wait!

I suppose if you had a few truck ramps with you, you may have been able to get over that little trench in the road.

Looking forward to more of your adventures!

Guest Johnny Bass

Excellent report. I always figured the fishing up there would be non-stop! I guess the fish have moved deeper. May want to try some drop shoting. Sounds like you have been having alot of rain! Your accent sounds British. Doesn't all the rain make you homesick?lol

And yes, when finese fishing or still fishing, mono is better IMO. When the bait is in constant movement, then it doesn't matter if its braid or mono.

Looks like the pickerel population up there is thriving and you are getting your fair share of protein! Thanks for sharing.

Very nice report and pics Limeyangler. I will put up our new addition to Team 4 :thumbsup_anim:

That is interesting about the backroads map. I have one of those and will keep in mind your information about how accurate it is.

Joey

Thanks for the replies guys, yup the fish fries were endless for 2 days...cant bare to look at another walleye fillet for a while...lol. I will try drop shoting when i next get into mile and trap lakes JB, oh yeah...JB my accent sounds british cuz i am....lol...hence the name "Limey" angler.