NO FISHING!

GoneFishin

Ok, so I was shore fishing the other day on Lake Ontario across from the pier at the Oshawa beach. I have been fishing there for a couple years every once in a while. When I was down there last week and I had a guy approach me and tell me I was not allowed fishing there. He told me that he was a harbor commisions officer or somehting along thoughs lines and told me I couldn't fish there becuase it was a restricted water way and they had boats from out of province and had to take extra security messures so the water way from second marsh to the harbour were restricted. It didn't seem right to me so I asked him for identification and he told me he was going to phone the police. I told him that I would comply if he could atleast show me his identification and he told me again that he would phone the police if I didn't leave.

I dont know much about regulations and restrictions so I was wondering if anyone can tell me if he is telling the truth or just didn't want me near their property. I'm not sure of the name of the place but it looks like some sort of steel plant. Any help would be great.

Just get him to call the cops and then explain yourself to officers when they show up.

I am sick and tired of these idiots roaming around not letting people to fish.

This isnt the first time that i am reading about people telling fisherman not to fish here and there.

Better yet. Like Musky or Specks said, you phone the cops on him.

It would be interesting to watch his reaction when you start dialing and say "Let's see who the police want to talk to when they get here. Don't go away." Betcha he's gone in a flash.

JF

I know the old marine area is restricted......but jay walking is also illegal. There is a customs trailer on the west side of the river they may have a better idea of the situation.

:blink: Did the guy leave to go direct traffic in a parking lot?

If the guys does not show ID be nice and ask him if his feelings got hurt when he flunked out of security guard school.

forrest

I know the old marine area is restricted......but jay walking is also illegal. There is a customs trailer on the west side of the river they may have a better idea of the situation.

:blink: Did the guy leave to go direct traffic in a parking lot?

If the guys does not show ID be nice and ask him if his feelings got hurt when he flunked out of security guard school.

forrest

Yes I know that the old marina "was" restriced but the only reason for them not letting us fish there is because they dont want to be liable for an injurys They took out the old docks and told us (so I've heard) that we could fish the mouth of the river. But the security never even comes in there any more to kick fishermen out so I'm assuming you can fish it all legally now.

Still hoping someone knows more about this area.

BTW anyone here fish the old marina? maybe we could do some fishing some day, might not catch much though but I'll be down there any how. :blahblah1:

As fisherman, how do we know who is allowed to stop up from fishing and who is not.

Is any security officer allowed to come up to us and tell us to go away or ?

I know when Co or OPP or Police show up and tell you to leave, you just leave no questions asked.

Not sure about anything else.

As fisherman, how do we know who is allowed to stop up from fishing and who is not.

Is any security officer allowed to come up to us and tell us to go away or ?

I know when Co or OPP or Police show up and tell you to leave, you just leave no questions asked.

Not sure about anything else.

Ask them to cite their authority. If they ask what you mean that means they have no authority.

JF

Ask them to cite their authority. If they ask what you mean that means they have no authority.

JF

Thank you John

How is it going??

How is Thames doing these days?

Still as muddy and just as high?

Thank you John

How is it going??

How is Thames doing these days?

Still as muddy and just as high?

Still high and muddy. I'm getting outa here this weekend, going where the water's clear and the bass are jumpin'. If you're looking for me I'll be on the rear casting deck of Garry's bassboat lost somewhere in the Kawarthas.

JF

It's easy to give you advise as I sit here in my living room, but what the heck.

It sure seams like this person did not have much/any authority and even if they do, is fishing not allowed (there is a difference between not allowed and illegal). If you're calm, rational and willing to make a stand, wait for the police as stated. The concern with this is that if this bozo doesn't have anything more than a perceived authority he may physically confront you. This is never a good thing. Option one: you beat his confrontational ignorant butt and then have to prove your innocence to the police and possibly the courts (not easy even if you are in the right). Option two: He beats your butt, and no one likes getting thumped.

Fishing with a buddy may help. Good luck.

Yes I know that the old marina "was" restriced but the only reason for them not letting us fish there is because they dont want to be liable for an injurys They took out the old docks and told us (so I've heard) that we could fish the mouth of the river. But the security never even comes in there any more to kick fishermen out so I'm assuming you can fish it all legally now.

Still hoping someone knows more about this area.

BTW anyone here fish the old marina? maybe we could do some fishing some day, might not catch much though but I'll be down there any how. :blahblah1:

The "old Marina" is still off limits officially. Security still patrols the area and I have seen them "kickout" anglers fishing the restricted area, have even seen police appear. If you are fishing the river mouth/harbor then you should be fine. The police do check the area from time to time but haven't heard of any problems.

Not sure what happened in the area you were fishing or who that person was. Hope you are able to get it sorted out.