Annual Lakair Report

doubleheader

Hi to all OFC'rs

My wife and I along with another couple returned from Lakair on Saturday 7/12 after 2 wonderful weeks. While our walleye totals were significantly less than last year we still managed 109 walleyes between my wife and I and close to 200 between the 4 of us. As is typical the women catch all the big fish. This year it was my wife's turn and she managed a 28", a 27", and a 25" eye. I caught two 24" eyes. Those were our only fish over the slot and they were all returned safely to the water, hopefully to spawn a couple more years. Most of the time we ran bottom bouncers on harnesses. This year we found the fish quite spread out and on both sides of Rt 64 bridge. We picked up a number around islands, humps, and edges of weed beds. I know others were fishing the weed beds with jigs, but we could not find the big fish in the weeds so we fished more rock structure and edges. Early on in our stay the fish were pretty shallow but by the end of our stay most of the fish we caught were 15-20 feet by late morning. We found the best boat speed to be between 1.2 and 1.5 mph, which was significantly faster than last year, and I believe the reason we weere able to catch quite a few more on bottom bouncers than my buddy and his wife was simply due to our soft tip rods. We were using old style Ugly Sticks which really have soft tips, and the fish would simply hang on until you set the hook. My buddy and his wife were using fast action medium wt. jigging rods. We were all using 10 lb line either Power Pro or Fireline. I thought both the Power Pro and Fireline performed pretty well around the rocks. Our hot harnesss this year was a single peg style ornage float between two chartuese beads and a Stamina clown blade. The fish really liked that clown blade better than anything else we tried and I tried about everything I had. So there you have it. I tried to attach a couple pics but seeing as how I'm somewhat of an idiot on computers who knows what you'll see if anything. Best of fishing to all.

08lakair4.jpg 08lakair02a.JPG 08lakair11.jpg 008lakair7.jpg 08lakair10.jpg

Excellent in depth report Doubleheader. Thanks for that. Glad you all had a good time. A coupla hundred eyes is not too shabby at all either. I guess you'll be sitting around the fireplace this winter listening to your wife's fishing stories eh? :thumbsup_anim:

Thanks again.

Thanks everyone for your replies. We truly love Canada and particularly our stay at Lakair. Almost like a 2nd home. Forgot to mention that I just added a kicker motor, a Nissan 9.8 HP, just prior to my trip. I run it as a tiller and I was favorably impressed by this motor during our stay. I have never seen it so windy for so long. I was chewing up my bow mount batteries by noon most days until I started running the kicker in conjunction with the bow mount. I'd use the bow mount going into the wind whenever I got blowed off course and on turns and throwing a drift sock out going downwind to maintain speed. The set-up worked quite well and that motor performed very well on my 1850 Fish Hawk Crestliner.