Basic Senko question...

addy79

Hey guys,

Heres a simple question for ya...

whats your preffered way to rig senkos? Wacky (everyone swears by it but i dont see how/why it would be effective this way :unsure: ) ? what are the other options that produce?

can i use a texas type rig with these baits?

never used them before, only used 5-6" texas rigged worms and did REALLY well with them.

If they are regular fat senko worms, wacky style. Why? It just works, and its good if you feel lazy. If the senkos have twister tails on them, I like to rig them carolina or texas style. Haven't seen yamamoto senkos with twister tails at BPS or LeBaron's, but ordered a bunch from Cabela's in the winter and theyve been workin great for bass and perch.

Wacky Worm works great.

So does Texas with and without a pegged sinker.

Carolina and split-shot rigged.

Twitching worm rigged - which is also called weightless Tex-opposed.

Swimming Worm, which is a Carolina Rig without a sinker.

Rippin' Worm rigged which is Texas Rigged without a sinker.

The first or second cousin of a pegged Texas Rig would be a Bullet Head Jig, which you could either swim or bounce.

Drop Shot rigged, either hooked Wacky or nose hooked.

Finally, the latest wrinkles are fishing dead stick on a stand-up or Shaky Head Jig, and dragging them on a Football Head Jig.

Of coarse a round head or a Shaky Head jig work just as well, on a clean enough bottom. The football head doesn't get trapped in cracks quite as easily as the round heads.

waky style plain out catches more fish, but the thing that sucks about it as opposed to texas rigging is that you'll get ripped off for you bait more often. On good fishing days I'll use half a worm at a time, rigged waky....I guess that makes me cheap! My fiance calls it "thrifty" lol

Economical

Price conscious

Value Savvy

Budget minded

Maximizing investment

Nah...maybe you are just cheap... :lol:

I do the same with pinkies for trout and panfish....

Wacky Worm works great.

So does Texas with and without a pegged sinker.

Carolina and split-shot rigged.

Twitching worm rigged - which is also called weightless Tex-opposed.

Swimming Worm, which is a Carolina Rig without a sinker.

Rippin' Worm rigged which is Texas Rigged without a sinker.

The first or second cousin of a pegged Texas Rig would be a Bullet Head Jig, which you could either swim or bounce.

Drop Shot rigged, either hooked Wacky or nose hooked.

Finally, the latest wrinkles are fishing dead stick on a stand-up or Shaky Head Jig, and dragging them on a Football Head Jig.

Of coarse a round head or a Shaky Head jig work just as well, on a clean enough bottom. The football head doesn't get trapped in cracks quite as easily as the round heads.

Wow.....and this is why you catch tons of bass and I dont!!!

I have so much to learn!!!!

:worthy:

To off set rising gas prices I have started guiding and teaching on the lakes that I know so well in the North Kawarthas.

My rates are low and I supply all the equipment.

My teaching method is to take you fishing on my Bass Boat for 4 to 8 hours and let you use my tackle.

We will fish and you will learn both through my coaching and by actually doing.

If this sounds like a shameless plug...It is...HAHAHA.

To off set rising gas prices I have started guiding and teaching on the lakes that I know so well in the North Kawarthas.

My teaching method is to take you fishing on my Bass Boat for 4 to 8 hours and let you use my tackle.

Spammer......

See you in a few hours, got the beer in the vehicle :whistling:

You retired guys have such a hard life.LOL

I dont wacky that much,but dodo it, with the 3 inch worms on a drop shot set up for smallies. I have had better success just feeding the hook through the head and working the hook to the middle of the bait even to the back of the bait, and it is also wieght less. Nothing like throwing it on to a pad and twitching it off and watching it sink slowly and get hammered.

ill be near Burleigh Falls area, maybe see you there, if i can spot u from shore lol

i personally havent tried wacky, ive been using the texan style, either small bullet weight or none, ive had somewhat success

Edited by urbanangler

Wacky is the way to do it!!! Just remember to slow it down as slow as you can , then slow it down just a bit more than that and you are in business.

And I agree with Daniel M I use o-rings also and i can catch 10-12 smallies on the same senko. That small toll that he put a link in for is amazing, you could proably make one yourself but for a couple of dollars at Bassproshop.

Edited by wallyboss

As a fomer client of Garry's I can attest to his knowledge of fishing and rigging baits.

However what he does NOT say is that he also a funny guy, the last time I was at his place we were literally rolling on the floor. John F can verify that.

As a fomer client of Garry's I can attest to his knowledge of fishing and rigging baits.

However what he does NOT say is that he also a funny guy, the last time I was at his place we were literally rolling on the floor. John F can verify that.

No I can't. He made me drink too much beer.

JF

No I can't. He made me drink too much beer.

JF

Wait. I do have some video of HTHM rolling on the floor, with the dogs. He was still there when we got up in the morning as I remember, munching on fresh coffee grounds. Garry and I had to drink tea for breakfast. We talked like a pair of pommy poofters all morning on the boat, fer cryin' out loud. HTHM just lay in the back and burped coffee gas.

JF

Wait. I do have some video of HTHM rolling on the floor, with the dogs. He was still there when we got up in the morning as I remember, munching on fresh coffee grounds. Garry and I had to drink tea for breakfast. We talked like a pair of pommy poofters all morning on the boat, fer cryin' out loud. HTHM just lay in the back and burped coffee gas.

JF

I am not even going to diginify that with a reply...................Doh I just did

I am not even going to diginify that with a reply...................Doh I just did

It wouldn't have mattered, except you were scaring the muskies away. They are averse either to coffee gas, or incoherent mumbling.

JF

i used the Senkos this weekend and am HOOKED!!! :thumbsup_anim:

what a great bait! i was a die hard texas rigged fan and have switched to a die hard Senko fan.

I did try to hooking methods Weedless (Texas Style, less the weight) and Wacky.

although i caught fish on both, i noticed that when flipping into pads and grass that the texas stays weedless, whereas the wacky doesnt.

it also seemed a bit trickier to set the hook on wacky, but that might be a practice issue....

the texas rigged worked beautifully! hit on almost every cast!

the worms had a short life span though...was using Gulp Senkos

i will use the o rings next time, makes sense to me.

thanks for all the input