who fishes with waders?

modny

i've really been thinking about getting a decent pair of waders, because in the future i'm thinking of getting a belly boat thing.

i dont really want to spend a tonne of dough, but i would like something decent quality.

bills tackle on upper james in hamilton has hodgeman stocking foot neoprene waders for 74$ and wading boots for 69$

does anyone have any insight?

i'd really like to fish for those fall rainbows in caledonia

but what other places can u use waders in around the hamilton area?

I NEVER go fishing without my waders. I have no boat, so being able to walk into a lake, pond or stream to get to the harder-to-reach areas is invaluable. And fighting fish, especially pike and muskie, when you're chest deep in water is very exciting. Be sure to walk very slowly in new water, keep a wading staff, and slide your feet across bottom rather than lifting and stepping. I've aslo had success backtracking after walking through an area, I assume because of the silt and mud kicked up on my first pass. I have 3.5 mm White River neoprene waders from Bass Pro.

i've really been thinking about getting a decent pair of waders, because in the future i'm thinking of getting a belly boat thing.

i dont really want to spend a tonne of dough, but i would like something decent quality.

bills tackle on upper james in hamilton has hodgeman stocking foot neoprene waders for 74$ and wading boots for 69$

does anyone have any insight?

i'd really like to fish for those fall rainbows in caledonia

but what other places can u use waders in around the hamilton area?

I picked up a pair of the Hodgman sockfoot breathable waders in the States a few months ago. They were too good a deal to pass up. My cousin had a coupon for the Dick's Sports store and they were on sale to boot so I think I paid something like $40 net for them. Then I got the felt soled boots on sale for $40 or $50.

I didn't want neoprene. I know from using a neoprene drysuit for diving that I don't like the way they feel and they're hot in the summer. For cold water my shell drysuit was fine down to temps only a degree or so above freezing for dives of 45 minutes or so. The trick was to wear the proper undergarment. I really like the flexibility of my new waders and they're quite comfortable temperature-wise in warm weather, even when you're standing in very shallow water. We often climb out of the creek and jump in the car to drive a few miles to another spot. I don't have to take off the waders. I wouldn't want to spend too much time out of the water in a pair of neoprenes. The boots have lots of support and the felt is excellent for walking on the river rocks we get into. I haven't had the stuff long enough to know how well it will stand up. I'm careful to remove the insole and set them up in a well-ventilated spot as soon as I get home. The other nice thing about the breathable fabric versus the neoprene is that the neoprene tends to hold more water and takes a long time to dry.

If you ever have problems with the sockfeet take the waders to a good dive shop. They can replace 'em.

JF

i feel like the "breathable" nylon style with a stocking foot might be more appropriate for me only because of comfort, they dont look as restricting

I was pleasantly surprised at how comfortable mine are. They aren't as trim (formfitting) as neo but they sure feel good. There's no binding at all with them, no matter how deep you squat. That's nice when you're climbing out of a creek or up a hill to the road.

JF

I have limited experience fishing in waders, has only done it once when MJL lended me his old neoprene one for the trout opener this year. However, I can say for sure that when i'm to get one, i will be looking for breathable for sure.

We fished from 5am-12pm, walked up and down the river and the water was quite cold still. At the end of the day, my pants which I wore inside the wader, is completely soaked ... from my own sweat. It was pretty disgusting.

Besides it took a while to put on/take off. Although it's not THAT bad, the breathable ones MJL was using sure looked much easier to deal with.

I only use them when fishing tribs for trout. I don't have breathable neoprenes...just the cheap PVC ones with insulated boot from Canadian Tire. I found that what you wear under them is very important. Your first layer should always be something that will wick sweat away from your body, or you'll feel wet from the condensation that forms on the inside.

Ive been using Waders for as long as i can remember, i put a tonne of rod hours on the rivers durring the fall/winter /spring months and i was a commercial baitfish harvester for 4 years doing nothing but tromping through creeks and rivers with the waders on. I've owned them all, neopreme, breathable stockingfoot, and boot built right in! definately stick with the stocking foor style and get yourself a decent pair of boots! the boots will last you a long time but make sure they fit you well. should be room for at least one extra pair of socks on for the colder water temps! the problem with the ones where the boots are already attatched is that they ALWAYS start leaking right at the boot!

ive owened the hodgman waders, redball waders and Bare! the Bare waders ive had 4 good seasons out of them and wouldnt think twice about getting another pair! the neopreme's are nice when the temperatures are cold. the hodgman and the redballs are only good for a single season the way we fish. 3 of my friends keep bying the redballs/hodgemen waders and within a year there leaking on them. and these guys dont do half the fishing that I do.

Best darn waders I can suggest that will definately get your money's worth is the Simms!!!! you dont need to get any of the guide series waders, but Bass pro sells there plain style for $199 and worth every penny for there comfort adn durability! i got 5 great years out of mine, and they were on the river/ going through bush for close to 200 days a year!

Spend the litle bit extra if you can! you'll be happy you did, cause it'l save you $$$ in the long run!

hope this helps!

If you want a cheap pair of breathables, try mail order from cabelas. You can also pick up a pair at bps but I have heard that a lot of people has had leaking problems with the white river brand.

If you want to spend the dough for a good quality pair that will last you a lifetime, look at the LL bean Wicked Tough gortex waders. You pay the price but they are waders for life. Any leaks, send them back and they will replace them for you. I think they will even pay for shipping. I've had mine for a year and no issues. Good luck.

I only use them when fishing tribs for trout. I don't have breathable neoprenes...just the cheap PVC ones with insulated boot from Canadian Tire. I found that what you wear under them is very important. Your first layer should always be something that will wick sweat away from your body, or you'll feel wet from the condensation that forms on the inside.

Cliff. My first pair were those rubber units from CTC. I think they were on sale for $50 or $60, with boot feet. There's no comparison, honestly. Those are constricting and very hot. I thought it might just be my portly frame but my buddy got a pair as well and he has the very same problems. He's a scrawny little mite. We both have trouble climbing up some of the riverbanks we have to contend with because there's not enuf flexibility (in us OR the waders). I actually forget I'm wearing waders with these new ones. The others keep sending out reminders.

JF

I picked up a pair of the BPS white river waders last year, stocking foot and a pair of boots and I love it. I used them into October last year though that was getting pretty chilly but for the number of times I went out with them its a great compromise on quality vs cost (can't justify the simms for the 20 or 30 times a year I use them). So far no problems with leaks at all and very comfortable:

1500377465_3806672ade.jpg

As you can see I tend to be in pretty deep so I'm really happy to have the full length sets and I completely agree with meegs on the stocking foot + boot. Cost a bit more that way but much more durable.

I'm hardly a wader pro - but the one thing I've learnt is to stay away from felt bottoms if you're fishing muddy banks. I lived in the sauga and fished the credit which is rocky so felt bottoms were awesome for sticking to slimy rocks, but i've since moved to the country and all my local creeks are mud-holes......man do the felt bottoms suck here. They collect mud and your feet end up weighing 10lbs each!

Cliff. My first pair were those rubber units from CTC. I think they were on sale for $50 or $60, with boot feet. There's no comparison, honestly. Those are constricting and very hot. I thought it might just be my portly frame but my buddy got a pair as well and he has the very same problems. He's a scrawny little mite. We both have trouble climbing up some of the riverbanks we have to contend with because there's not enuf flexibility (in us OR the waders). I actually forget I'm wearing waders with these new ones. The others keep sending out reminders.

JF

I hear you John, and if I used them in warm weather, I'd get new ones. I only use them to fish for steelhead from October until March....waters are quite cold. I don't feel constricted when wearing mine and I'm actually quite comfortable in them, even when fishing all day long. Perhaps I'm lucky...LOL.

If youre going to do any measure of cold weather fishing like fall winter steelhead id suggest a neoprene wader. But as soon as you do any walking with them in the summer you are going to sweat. Ive got pair of Simms breathables and they are the best I have ever owned.

Cliff definitly hit the nail on the head with the underlayers, in warmer weather something like dryfit or helly hansen will keep you comfortable and remove the sweat.

Spend more on good wading boots, the ankle support and comfort will make it easier stand for long periods and walking in rocky streams. I personally try to fit my boots as tight as comfortable, it seems to make walking in rapids easier for me...no sliding of the foot in the boot. I lace up tight for walking and loosen off if im fairly stationary in cold water.

Bass Pro shops sell Corkers wading boots... they actually come with 2 different soles! their interchangeable! one set is felt, the other is a rugged tracked sole, like a hiking boot! pretty sure i picked them up for under $100 but well worth the $$$ regardless! had them 3 years now, they work great! as well you can always buy cleats and or spikes to put in the soles. i wouldnt think about wearing the felt soles if i didnt have the cleats during the later fall months once the snows on the ground! Last thing you need is to go for a swim when the waters that cold!

on another bit of a side note... REGARDLESS of what kind or brand of waders you decide to go with, Make sure you wear a wading belt! even if its just a regular belt that you have lying around. put it around your waist over top of the waders any time your fishing any water deeper than your hips and or moving water. this will prevent the water from filling up your waders and becomming a REAL problem if you were ever to fall in or over! You ever tried to get out of waders once the've filled up with water??? its not fun! for the sake of putting a belt on, it could save your life!

Waders? Heck, if I could wear mine to work, I would. Happy time for me would be splashing in the tub, playing with a rubber ducky, imagining I was Jacques Cousteau, all the while wearing my breathable simms..

I place high demands on my equipment, especially my waders. I remember bying a good pair of gortex waders in 1999, and they lasted me for 6 years. Finally had to retire them a couple years ago and bought a new pair, and I luuuvv them.. They were the Simms Guide Model Gortex.

Back in 99, I paid over $600 for them. When I replaced them last year, I paid half the price. And you know what? They were worth every single penny then, and they're worth every penny now. I put alot of hours in them, so nickle and diming waders is not an option for me. If you're planning on more of a conventional use, I'm sure $100 would get a pretty decent pair...

Hope this helps.

Cheers!

H to the D

med_gallery_439_445_5416.jpg

gallery_439_66_143772.jpg

Well if you want the best value for the money the answer is easy: buy online from LL BEAN (http://www.llbean.com). The best deal is their house brand breathable Emerger waders (see link below), which retail for $99. I have them and they are quality, but the REAL KICKER is that they're GUARANTEED FOR LIFE! Even if you're "not satisfied" with them in 5 years time, LL Bean will get you a new pair of waders no questions asked! LL Bean's ridiculously liberal customer service policy is famous, and for good reason. They also sell Simms waders if you want high-end, and the best part is that even the Simms products are covered by the LL Bean unconditional life warranty - it's a no-brainer!

http://www.llbean.com/webapp/wcs/stores/se...934-tn&np=Y

Waders are a great investment. Go neoprene or insulated at least (neoprene is 100 times better) for cold water wading. Once you have them, you'll use them all the time and if treated right they'll last ya forever.

i think i might get a outcast pontoon boat instead. and use the troller to get up close at caledonia then drift down to york then troll her back etc..

do u think a small gas outboard like 2 or 5 hp is too big for the back of an inflatable pontoon?

I picked up a pair of the BPS white river waders last year, stocking foot and a pair of boots and I love it. I used them into October last year though that was getting pretty chilly but for the number of times I went out with them its a great compromise on quality vs cost (can't justify the simms for the 20 or 30 times a year I use them). So far no problems with leaks at all and very comfortable:

1500377465_3806672ade.jpg

As you can see I tend to be in pretty deep so I'm really happy to have the full length sets and I completely agree with meegs on the stocking foot + boot. Cost a bit more that way but much more durable.

A little off-topic, but that is an awesome picture, and would still be if the bass weighed only a pound. Very well done.