Report SK

holdfast

This weekend was really frustrating at times. The only saving grace is that for the first two days the fishing was good and things didnt seem to fall apart till Sunday mid day. First my fish finder was not working properly, then my outboard conked out, and finally I had to change a wheel bearing on the trailer. I went camping with my neighbor Rodger and after the second day, actually got to dislike him a lot and basically realized that he has a Big L carved on his forehead, for LOSER. More about that later.

We decided to go to Cowan and try one of the Islands that he was talking about a week before. We found an Island, I should say, I found an Island as he had no Idea where it was. Obviously it wasn't the one he was talking about, but since it was getting late I decided to find a camping spot before dark. It was a small Mosquito infested Island that was close to a Marshy shore but I figured if there was any wind this would be a good spot to shelter from the blood suckers. Wrong O, It was a beautiful clear night so we threw in the Repellent and started a fire to smoke them out

cowanbackg-1.jpg

It was a beautiful area with no one in site, lovely trees and shoreline. You can see how logging only left a row of trees along the shore line. Here is a picture from the Island looking from the front close to shore

boatshore.jpg

A view of the front of the Island a little further up shore. This Island was a mere 20 by 30 meters in area, small but adequate

Islandfront.jpg

This view is the back where I watched about 20 pelicans the next morning collectively herding a school of fish by enclosing a circle to each other and then going into a feeding frenzy.

islandback-1.jpg

We decided that we would just tarp it for the night instead of setting up a tent. My tarp, tent, cloths, foam mattress, sleeping bag, twine are all in a military duffel bag for boat or truck camping.

tarp-2.jpg

On top of the hill is where we would put our fire while below the hill was our sleeping area. I decided on a piss area, just to make sure I wasn't going to pick up wood that was well, say, contaminated! So, I have a garbage bag, yellow bag with a frying pan ( you Algonguins will notice its from the park, I found them so practical I always asked for extras), beer, Ya CANADIAN) and a tool chest with my camping gear, also for boat or vehical. Its also a table, and fire wood brought in.

campgeartop.jpg

One side has, utensils, fillet knife, (Tupperware with batteries, lighters, flashlights), canned beans, cooking oil, bag of mixed coffee, sugar, cream, Pam, Leatherman, candy, knife sharpener, etc

Other side has paper towel, bum wipe, bug juice, compass, map,radio/MP3,work gloves, soap/pad, bug net,etc

chesttop-1.jpg

Once trays are removed I have water, military rations, stove, fry pan, cook set, fuel, bow saw, axe, grate, water, lantern, first aid kit, etc

chestinside.jpg

coffee and fire is a going as well as darkness

campfire.jpg

Oh yea Rodger, I get to my trailer after a 2.5 hr drive and who is sitting on my deck like the sentinel, you guess it, a medicated , babbling Idiot, trying to tell me about some stupid fish that some one try catching for years, he wrote it down but I couldn't understand is writing, I tell him to go home get ready and give me an hour, after two hours I go to his house and wait an hour for him to get his cloths , sleeping bag, water and fishing gear. Of to the Island and I watch him pretend he knows what he is doing, doesn't know where he is, how to use his gear, and, take 2 hours to clean fish because he was on some sort of drugs. He stunk, talked like a fifteen year old, acted like a fifteen year old, and tried to tell me Valium is good for a hang over. Here's the kicker, the Idiot was wearing a shop coat when we went to a public camping area. I listened to him how cops were manageable, his jail time, his friends, on and on. The guy is a bag of hammers and I wouldn't trust that thing for a second. I got to a point that I wanted to drown it. So much for male bonding and giving me some native perspective. It still bugs me trying to watch him for 10 minutes taking a hook out of a pike in a shop coat the next day while falling asleep. Anyways

boatandrodger.jpg

Next morning while Loser was in the prone, I took some shots of some wild life. I love the sound of Loons, just beautiful.

loon1-1.jpg

loon2-1.jpg

I watched as these Pelicans fished

pelicans-2.jpg

pelicans2-1.jpg

And the Rat

red-1.jpg

the fishing wasn't bad as we caught lots of Pike

robpike-2.jpg

rob2Pike.jpg

The next morning we went to Hacket Lake to try for some Walleye. One was caught with may favorite lure while trolling. It was released. This place was just full of boaters, what a difference a year makes. Word got out fast.

robPicker.jpg

We revisited the trappers cabin

caboutside.jpg

The side is only about six feet tall

cabside2.jpg

And the inside. It hasn't been used for a while obviously

cabinside.jpg

It was at this point the outboard conked out, and the bearings went on the trailer once I got back to Big River. The outboard is still in the truck as the shops are closed till after Canada Day. All in All, a mixed weekend and I'm working tomorrow on Canada Day in my little resort town Meota as the Town maint man. Should be interesting, oh yea, Im also responsibe for the Fire Truck and part of the Fire depart, I can see a few fires happening as we are surrounded by bush, Rednecks, and Reservations.

Edited by holdfast

something always goes wrong when I go on a fishing trip too

but it's all just part of the experience

good report

seems Murphys law had something to do with me finding which thread had the post in it ..it was the last one I looked at

something always goes wrong when I go on a fishing trip too

but it's all just part of the experience

good report

seems Murphys law had something to do with me finding which thread had the post in it ..it was the last one I looked at

Yeah Terry, me too :lol:

Thanks for the report holdfast.

I can see a few fires happening as we are surrounded by bush, Rednecks, and Reservations.

Not all of us "rednecks" bring explosives when vacationing on your canadian lakes, fact most of us just bring our respect for the great outdoors and oh yeah, our money. :whistling:

Guest Johnny Bass

Thats why I am very careful who I take fishing with me. I want to know what the guy looks like and what he is all about. I take fishing very seriously. If something ruins my day, I wont be in a good mood.....Anyways at least you caught some fish. Thanks for sharing.