trolling motor................its fixed!!!!!!!!

workwear

gotta love mechanical problems on boats....just when you think if fixed one thing another goes.....

top weeks had a problem with my main motor.....found out it was a bad battery......replaced that

now yesterday....while fishing simcoe....getting ready for the tourney today......my trolling motor decides to crap out on me.......

fustrating to say the least......trolling motor still turns left and right....but the prop doesnt spin....unless i give it a quick spin with my hand......

fishing partner and i thought maybe we will sit this one out.......

think its time for a new one.......

oh well.......who said boats were an inexpensive hobby anyways

cheers

Edited by workwear

Peter,

Have you tried a different controller? I too am having an issue with mine exactly as you described.. It turns out the potentiometer is pooched.. I am going to take it apart and see if it is repairable..

I know this to be the case because I tried a different controller.. and if I put the "throttle" in just the right position it will work..

another DIY project in the works today...

G

i dont think its the controller......still spins left and right....and when i have in gear so to speak....a quick flip of the blade and she starts to spin....im thinking....the motor itself has seen better days........

thxs as always gerritt

no roy there isnt....just took off the power head......brushes seem fine......coils round the motor are a little brown......maybe its had its day......just took the top off to see if there something loose.........gonna check minn kota to see if they sell parts.....hate to replace the trolling motor

That happens to mine. Take the cover off the motor and find the relay. It is a little square box attached to the circuit board. pus down on it lightly and then try to make the prop spin. Worth a try anyway.

i figured out the problem.........brushes!!!!!!.............the brushes were seized

buddy came over.........note to self......stay sober on these projects if its your first time......

cleaned everything up....should work right......but to get it all back in place........now that was a chore

all in place right....cool........test run......buddy says ...its spining the wrong way......

now we inadvertenly switch the negs...and junk....wires.......seems i was right......but a good story to laugh about one day

i can imagin trolling backwards.....too funny.......

so i had a brainstorm......switch the wires at the head of the unit......discovered those earleir on when i was on a mission to investigate....

hooked everything up....and now she purrs........

feels good to solve little problems like these........

cheers everyone

Edited by workwear

Peter... Dude Karma is on our side.. I fixed mine right up too! it was not the potentiometer that was pooched.. it was the slider that makes contact with it!.. heated up the plastic a bit.. pulled it a touch while it was semi soft... make solid contact now! and I am off to the races!

G