Playing W/my Tackle

bigbuck

I was bored last night after putting the kiddies to bed so I went downstairs and started to clean and oil my favourite reels (my Quantum 760PT baitcaster, and my Abu 6500 C4 that got a lot of use last year, relatively speaking). Once I did that, I went into the gym bag that serves as my tackle bag and started organizing my tackle trays and finally my tackle box. 3 hours later it was bedtime, and what I dreamed about was.........you guessed it........fishing.

With all the new stuff I've bought over the past year, I figure I'm good for another 10 years (yeah right!!). I'll be mothballing my old rods and spinning reels to make room for the new stuff this spring. They'll be relegated to a place of honour in my garage while the rest winters in the basement.

Anyone else out there getting ready???

The next step for me is to start sharpening my hooks - next week's job.

Edited by bigbuck

mama always said, I would go blind if I played with my "tackle"

yeah, I do the same

by the end of Feb, I will have sharpened my hooks so many times some will be too short and I will throw them out and start with new ones

Yea Ive done the same thing every winter (summer too). Ill watch fishing shows and play with my reels. just today on my day off I went and bought some Topo maps again, at the Conservation office here in North Battleford Sask. Talked to the same Cons officer as last week. He gave me some good info. I used too grease all my reels but now the way theyre made Im afraid I might loose or mis- align a component. glad Im not the only one that plays with tackle!

Pretty soon.. A few of my fishing buds and I will set up in my shop and assembly line jig mold. One guy starts setting hooks in moulds, next guy pours and casts, next guys powder paint. We usually make a couple hundred in an evening...enough to last us all the summer. Of course a few get given away. The worst job is each man for himself to tie trailing hooks on.