Top water bass lures

Marko

Hey guys, novice bass fisherman here.

Heard some guys at work today how much fun it is to fish on top water bait, i am just wondering what are some of the better top water bait for bass.

Never fished this way for bass, but seen it done on tv.

It looked like they would cast as far as they could and then reel the lure in as fast as possible, looked like more work then fun.

I am prety sure thats how they cover water fast and find fish.

Any pointers would be appricated

Ty for your time

Berkely frenzy poppers have been my best, I fish topwater for bass as often as I can because its wicked fun and it produces!

Grab a handful of poppers, i find colour does not really matter at all, although I have found that the ones which produce the best have EYES, and a tail feather on the back treble. Fire it out over shallowish water, although you can even get the out of the deep and vary your retrieve. twitch, twitch, stop. pull, tiwtch twitch and so on.

The main thing about fishin toppies, is to WAIT UNTIL YOU FEEL THE FISH.

If you dont, your hookset will come firing back at the boat at a high rate of speed, probably impaling your fishing buddy.\

play safe.

Edited by kemper

Storm chug bug is my fave.

You can use a topwater in deeper water to. Just make BIG noise on the surface and pause. In deeper parts, concentrate over humps, saddles and vegetation.

AMEN BROTHER!

I swear by Chug Bugs.

Zara Spook Jr's.

Easily the best topwater bait I've used.

When most bass hit they won't make much commotion at all. They don't snap at baits and come out of the water like pike do. Bass, especially big ones will suck in the topwater lure like a giant vacuum.

As mentioned before, don't strike on the hit, strike on the weight :)

Edited by BillM

Zara Spook Jr's.

Easily the best topwater bait I've used.

When most bass hit they won't make much commotion at all. They don't snap at baits and come out of the water like pike do. Bass, especially big ones will suck in the topwater lure like a giant vacuum.

As mentioned before, don't strike on the hit, strike on the weight :)

Yup the Zara spooks are the best in my eye's as well...plus they keep you concentrated on keeping the "walk the dog" rythem going steady....I find the stop and wait theory's for most top water lures make them boring to fish with..

I only fish topwater at night and use only black jitterbugs. Cast and let it sit for 60 seconds, then reel at the speed that gives you the most pop, pop, pop noise. Stop occasionally, then start reeling again. Remember don't set the hook until you feel the weight of the fish. When you get a hit it will sound like someone just flushed a toilet.

Topwaters are also a great ALL DAY bait. Last summer two of my three biggest bass (4lb 2oz and 4lb 6oz) came on topwaters at mid day, sun high and bright.

I find that fished slowly, they can entice the big girls out of the thick weeds when the sun is bright and nothing else seems to be working. I would say that during my main fishing week in the summer where I am on buckhorn lake for 7 days I boat probably 40% of my bass on topwaters, and they are usually responsible for the big bass of the week trophy ( I am the proud owner of 5 of the last 6 years).

I've got a few boxes of topwaters - Rapalas, minnows, popper style, other brands - if we get together on the weekend you're welcome to try some out. If Rob's with us he'll show you his method. All he fishes is the Rapala floating minnows and they sure seem to work well for him. I fiddle with everything I can get my hands on, usually with less success than him, except for those evenings when the bass are partial to plastic.

JF

Does anyone have a picture of some of these baits: maybe a Chug Bug?

Take a drive to BPS.....every top water lure under the son ...As for which lures / colors, just look for the ones that are almost sold out , LOL!!!

Edited by jdmls

rapala skitter pop in leopard frog color has always produced big bucket mouths for me

I got one of those last summer and tried it one evening on a good pond. I stayed on the water till it was dark and got nada. Mebbe it's not a good dusk type lure. It's the only time I tried it but I've got it in the box to try again this year.

Maybe Marko can show me how to use it properly.

JF

JF

Maybe i got the lucky touch?

I am trying to learn here myself lol.

Thank you guys for your replies, placed couple of bids on ebay for couple Berkly Frenzy poppers with feathered trebbles.

checked out prices on HeddonZara spook baites, quite pricey.

I hope it doesnt rain too much John.

Murky water cant be that good for top water lures.

Let me know whats going on later in the week sometimes.

Maybe i got the lucky touch?

I am trying to learn here myself lol.

Thank you guys for your replies, placed couple of bids on ebay for couple Berkly Frenzy poppers with feathered trebbles.

checked out prices on HeddonZara spook baites, quite pricey.

I hope it doesnt rain too much John.

Murky water cant be that good for top water lures.

Let me know whats going on later in the week sometimes.

The water's kinda milky here for the moment but if the rain isn't too bad before the weekend it should flush out. Don't spend a bunch of money till you try some of the stuff I've got here. Mebbe you'll find a few that work for you. Then you can spend your money without gambling. I know that's contrary to every fisherman's natural instinct. What is it about us that we can't resist buying every shiny bit we see on the shelf? If only the fish were as easily conned as us.

JF

I got one of those last summer and tried it one evening on a good pond. I stayed on the water till it was dark and got nada. Mebbe it's not a good dusk type lure. It's the only time I tried it but I've got it in the box to try again this year.

JF

i caught a nice 20 inch bucket mouth in BOQ last summer around 8 am on one.. it put up a ncie fight.

i've also had good luck with heddon tiny torpedo's

suspending minnow color husky jerks are great too, although they aren't TW

The spooks are worth it :)

The Jr's have internal rattles which the full sized ones don't. If you can get a your timing down on the WTD technique, not much can refuse them.

Hah! You haven't met the bass in my part of the river.

JF