banana in da boat??

workwear

hiya everyone......

well this mornin we woke up at 5 and headed out to balsam....trolled awhile hooked into two small walleye's....great mornin to be out..everything was running great....budd say lets me drive....sure why not

start to open her up and while clipping along at 45mph...the motor cuts out.....and starts back up...and cuts back out...i thought this guy is playin games with me.......move over ray.....let me drive....and i start her up....no problem.... 3000 rpm no problem 4000 same problem starts happenin.....dies right out....so i check battery connection....start up again....thinkin that was the problem......problem starts again....this time im getting a little nervous....ok lets head for port.....try to trim the motor up....trim wont work....motor completely dead.....so there i am big motor down...and puttering with my kicker......than goodness i have one....we are near the canal...thinking out loud...fuel filter....naw it cant be.....battery isnt holdin charge....but the kicker starts and works fine....could be the alternator...big motor not chargin up was gonna call it a day at 12.....my son says dad cant we just fish some more.....ok dude...lets stay round here.....he hooks into a oos large mouth...glad when he catches some...he lights up like a christams tree

but i still wanna try the big motor one more time......just as i am thinkin bout starting it ....ray pulls out a BANANA

my son looks at the banana and looks at me thinkin thats the problem....as were told they are bad luck....just as ray finishes the banana.....i start the big motor up....ran it hard for hour....not a single hiccup

no idea what happened.....

we are still thinking its the alternator

maybe a loose wire or something

any one else might be able to shed some light on this

cheers peter

Edited by workwear

Only way to know is to use a test meter, check if it is the battery or charging system, if nothing wrong , check the color of spark plug, is it burning properly, if not replace it and try again. It could be one of the coil or could be one of the power pack.

Good luck

Does your boat have a built in gas tank or a five gallon tank.

Some of my previous boats had an air vent valve at the top of the fill cap if the air pressure is not released this can cause the engine to stall

the tank should be well vented when out on the water or your engine could perform like you have described.

Enjoy fishin with your son :Gonefishing:

It sounds like a bad connection causing an intermittent problem.

-was the main motor charging the battery during the "ran it hard for an hour" part?

-does your key have to be on for the trim switch to work? If so, it may be a bad key switch.

-possible bad stator depending on the high RPM cut-in for charging - I think it would be lower than 4000 RPM and probably wouldn't cause the trim to fail.

-try tracing the power wire from the trim solenoid back to the source of power looking for bad connections or deteriorated wiring.

... or it could be the banana.

-Brian

Sounds more like a fuel issue. I would check all fuel lines and filters. if you have an electronic fuel pump I would get it checked out as well.

Maybe a little dirt that cleaned itself out .

Good luck

And how would that cause the motor trim function to fail?

Does your boat have a built in gas tank or a five gallon tank.

Some of my previous boats had an air vent valve at the top of the fill cap if the air pressure is not released this can cause the engine to stall

the tank should be well vented when out on the water or your engine could perform like you have described.

Enjoy fishin with your son :Gonefishing:

What Mike said. That sounds like it is starving for air.

It sounds like it starving for air, true, but that wouldnt explain the trim not functioning. I would say its electrical, alternator dying on ya :dunno: , but just a logical guess based on the info you gave us.

..or it was the banana.lol

Good looking lure musky matt, when's monkey season open up? lol