outboard didnt start-pls help

idesign

today morning i went to Bluffers Park to test drive my new boat.i changed the fuel.changed gear oil.every thing set.

fuel is also coming.outboard was tuned up last year before winter.

but when i try to start the engine it cranks but not starting.any know what could be the problem.let me know.thx thx

it is Johnson 28hp outboard.

I've had some starting issues as well....

Check the spark plugs and wires. Make sure there's a good connection there. Check the plugs as well...they may need changed.....and also check the gap measurement...even if they are new. Your manual for the motor will tell you what that gap should be. Is this new gas or is it from last year? If last year, did you use fuel stabilizer?

Explain what you did before you tried to start it....did you use the choke? Did the motor start and then sputter right out?

I always check the obvious. Did you prime the bulb? Even then, I find if you over prime, you can flood the engine. If you smell gas, try starting with the choke off and the throttle wide open until it catches. The next obvious one is the kill switch. Most have a lanyard attached that many of us don't use so make sure the switch is on. Lastly, some engines have a fuel shutoff valve so obviously that too should be on unless you have it connected to an onboard tank. Memart and I found that out the hard way. His kicker runs off his main tank with the engine fuel valve in the off position as it bypasses the built in tank, go figure.

Cheers,

Peter

I've had some starting issues as well....

Check the spark plugs and wires. Make sure there's a good connection there. Check the plugs as well...they may need changed.....and also check the gap measurement...even if they are new. Your manual for the motor will tell you what that gap should be. Is this new gas or is it from last year? If last year, did you use fuel stabilizer?

Explain what you did before you tried to start it....did you use the choke? Did the motor start and then sputter right out?

hey buddy

thx for quick reply.

i just put new gas this morning and added oil.this is all i did.the guy i bought boat said outboard was tuned up last year before winter.i can see fresh grease every where.i checked spark plug also it looks brand new.

when i try to start it just cranks and not start.no sputter or anything.it looks like motor is trying to start but last moment it doesn't.

the guy i bought boat said just put new gas and it will start for sure.so should i take to marina or try to change spark plug again .let me know.thx

also can u tell me what this mean "gap measurement" .i am not sure what ur talking about.i also dont have manual for outboard.thx

is it a pull start or key start?????

if a key start you say it cranks but won't fire...is the kill switch on or off???..easy to mix up, had that prob before..my kids when younger would goof around in the boat alot fishing from theboat cuz of course that was way cooler than fishing from the dock..and sometimes when goofing around they would hit the kill switch...then I told them they couldn't fish or sit in the driver's seat any more..lol

also did ya choke it/or use the "cold start lever"???or could be your battery not cranking out enough starting power

could be the plugs as well..take one out, have a look, had probs starting my 9.9 first 2 trips out this season, would take 8-9 pulls to fire up, then would run like a champ..last trip i cahnged the plugs and she fires first pull every time now.

Check your control cables to, and ensure they are pushing the gas as it should.

If he tuned the engine he may have been manualy pushing the throttle, and choke whil testing it.

Easy to check...

Just pop the lid, and watch to see if the controls move as you push.

If it appears to be lacking motion get a freind to turn the key and manualy push the throttle in bursts to get it started, pleeeeeze ensure you keep your fingers away from the engine :whistling:

If it still doesn't start try over pumping your gas a bit to ensure you have gas flow...check to see if your flooding, leaking etc....

If thats working fine I suggest you clean the carb, if it still don't start change the plugs.

and then....take her back, or to a mechanic.

Could be your starter?

the kill switch should be at the controls.

did the guy not give you the lanyard?

all i got was key and boat off course.

i can return it.i bought from my co worker.i got every thing for $580.

if it not start i will take to mechanic.if too expensive to repair i will give it back.

let me know what to do.thx

Is there any from Scarborough can help me out.I can meet you at Bluffers Park tomorrow morning.let me know

Edited by New Angler

Basically you need fuel+spark+compression to run. Lets assume comp is ok for now-can you check if plugs are wet (fuel) and you have spark?

If no spark look for simple things first, kill switch....is shifter in neutral etc. Move blk shifter and see if it clicks into neutral, eliminate the simple things.

Where are you?

Basically you need fuel+spark+compression to run. Lets assume comp is ok for now-can you check if plugs are wet (fuel) and you have spark?

If no spark look for simple things first, kill switch....is shifter in neutral etc. Move blk shifter and see if it clicks into neutral, eliminate the simple things.

Where are you?

i live on Brimley & Lawrence

thx

all i got was key and boat off course.

i can return it.i bought from my co worker.i got every thing for $580.

if it not start i will take to mechanic.if too expensive to repair i will give it back.

let me know what to do.thx

Is there any from Scarborough can help me out.I can meet you at Bluffers Park tomorrow morning.let me know

Why not get your co-worker to show you how he starts it. Maybe you're just missing something in the operation or maybe he knows some little trick that makes it work.

JF

I may be wrong,but I dought theres a kill switch for that older model??????????????

Looking at that tank,the air bleeder is closed. Thats the little turn knob on top of the cap. It,s got to be turned full open.

Not to be rude or negative,but I would try to get something that is in the late 80,s or more current. These older motors can be a real hassel and hard to find parts for. JMO

Edited by misfish

I may be wrong,but I dought theres a kill switch for that older model??????????????

Looking at that tank,the air bleeder is closed. Thats the little turn knob on top of the cap. It,s got to be turned full open.

Not to be rude or negative,but I would try to get something that is in the late 80,s or more current. These older motors can be a real hassel and hard to find parts for. JMO

thx i will try that.

when i pump the gas it leaks little bit by the pipe connecting to outboard.do u think this is problem.actually i had to go work today so hopefully tomorrow morning i will try out all suggestion i got from members.i will let you know what happens.

i still cannot figure out where the kill switch would be.thx

any more suggestion is welcome

thx.i will try that.

also i put brand new battery.does is need charger or when you run outboard it charges by itself.let me know.thx

Check with the store you bought the battery from. Almost always they are on the shelf charged and ready to go.

You will still need a charger over the winter months...a trickle charger will keep the battery fresh.

forrest

Is your fuel line running the right way?Check the arrow at the primer bulb the arrow should be pointing towards the motor. I dont think you have to worry about a kill switch on that old a motor,I have a 25hp like that one and it has no kill switch.

Edited by gaspumper