G-Loomis GLX vs Frontier

Guest Fishing For Life

Guest Fishing For Life

Hey guys,

Someone told me he would not want to get Frontier

because it does not have protective coating around the blanks

even though the weight is significantly lighter than that of GLX

PS: I am looking for Center-pin rod from 11' to 15'

i currently use a 13' frontier mx and it has seen more car doors, trees and bridges than any other

rod i have and its still takin a beating. i've also been using it year round(carp/steelhead/salmon) from when i bought it 3/4 years ago.

simply put, perfectly satisfied.

a rod doesn't need that "protective" coating since it isn't there for any protection anyways, it's only for looks. Besides that, some of the top blanks on the market have no finish, only a bare polished blank including some GLX's. :D

Better check the warranty on the Frontier. My understanding is Gloomis is dropping the line and the lifetime warranty is no more. You can get a great deal on the Frontier if your not concerned about the warranty though. I bought a 13' MX for $199 (reg $385) at the sportsman show and and am very happy with it.

My understanding was that Frontier was a made in Canada ( Mount Hope ) for sale in Canada line of rods.

They were created to provide Canadian anglers with an affordable Loomis rod back when we had a 60 cent dollar.

The rods are a great bargain. They use the same blanks as lower priced G.Loomis rods and are sold at a discount.

The last two times I stopped at their plant no one was building rods...so they may be discontinued.

Perhaps now that the two dollars are nearly at par, there's no need for the lower priced line.

Somebody go wake up Spiel, he'll know what's going on.

Guest Fishing For Life

Ok, so with or without "protective coating"

should not make any difference, based on your value opinions ..

Now, GLX is asking for $450 and Frontier is $250 ...

Could anyone tell me what the major difference is?

or the extra $200 is just a waste of $$?

Could anyone tell me what the major difference is?

or the extra $200 is just a waste of $$?

-weight,

-sensitivity of the blank,

-inexpensive alconite guides vs SiC or RECoils

-quality of the cork (less filler)

depending on the rod and how many guides there are, this alone can be a $100 difference.

Edited by j ace

I beleive that place ill be no longer. I think even their website is shut down. I think they will be closing soon from my understanding. Frontier rods are knowhere near the same as the GLX blanks. You do not need the protective coating on a rod to make it stronger. It will actually add to the weight of a blank. Some manufactuers will not coat a rod. Fenwick, shimano, Daiwa. Look at some of their rods. They have no gloss on them. Sometimes a rod with a gloss finish will break quicker due to the scratches they get, they will break at the scratches sometimes. Dont get me wrong, they are very nice rods but are not the same make up as the GLX blanks. I have 3 Frontier rods and they are awesome. They dont perform the same as a GLX either.

Edited by smalliefisher

....LOL, well all I can tell you is that for the money Frontier are good rods, I own a few myself. But if money is no object then Loomis is the route I'd go. As for being lighter well the key to any long rod and fatigue is balance.

I was told by a Loomis rep that the Frontier line of blanks were made by Batson Enterprises and assembled in the Canadian Loomis plant. Batson Enterprises manufactures their blanks overseas in Asia while G. Loomis manufactures their blanks in Washington State (cost savings by outsourcing). The 2pc 13' Frontier uses either aluminum oxide or hialoy guides which also lowers the cost of the finished product (Compared to using Fuji SIC's or Recoils).

My dad owns a 3pc frontier and it performs beautifully. It's light and responsive and I have yet to hear him complain about anything. I've only played around with the GLX's in the shop and really can't say anything about their performance.

I was told by a Loomis rep that the Frontier line of blanks were made by Batson Enterprises and assembled in the Canadian Loomis plant. Batson Enterprises manufactures their blanks overseas in Asia while G. Loomis manufactures their blanks in Washington State (cost savings by outsourcing).

This is true, Frontiers are not a Loomis product.

Guest Fishing For Life

Hey, how come the replies got way more in the morning than at night?

dont tell me you guys check out OFC while working! haha

What I also have noticed is that

most rods are much softer when compared to my 13' Sheffield rod made of IM-9.

(I bought it as a combo with Sheffield center-pin to get me started on float fishing)

what float rod do you guys have?

(I havent seen anyone with Loomis yet!)

I don't know what they are using now, but a few years ago, a MBR784C, Frontier was exactly the same as a MBR784C, GL2, except for the colour of the blank, and the decals. There was about a $35-40 dollar difference in the selling price.

The MBR784C, GLX rod was a different blank and sold for about $100 more than the GL2.

I was told by a Loomis rep that the Frontier line of blanks were made by Batson Enterprises and assembled in the Canadian Loomis plant. Batson Enterprises manufactures their blanks overseas in Asia while G. Loomis manufactures their blanks in Washington State (cost savings by outsourcing).

Not all batson's are imported, their top blanks are made in the US. RX8+, RX7+... some of these are $200 for a blank around 6'

Besides this, many non US made blanks are very good considering shimano, megabass, and daiwa are all made in some of those countries.

Hey, how come the replies got way more in the morning than at night?

dont tell me you guys check out OFC while working! haha

What I also have noticed is that

most rods are much softer when compared to my 13' Sheffield rod made of IM-9.

(I bought it as a combo with Sheffield center-pin to get me started on float fishing)

what float rod do you guys have?

(I havent seen anyone with Loomis yet!)

I got up early to go fishing :D

14'3pc Raven IM8 and a 13'3pc Frontier MX