Island lake report Monday June 2/08

jediangler

My brother Joonmoon and I took the Shipper to Island lake to celebrate his birthday. After walking my daughter to school I picked them up, and after a Timmies stop, we were off to Orangeville. Arrived and were fishing by 11am. Joonmoon guided the Shipper in my Sportspal and I rented a kayak from the conservation area. We had the lake pretty much to ourselves.

view.jpg

The wind was 25km/h, and our target species was crappie. We went upwind and set up for a drift. It wasn't long before the birthday boy had a fish on.

shippike.jpg

It was a small pike but it was a start. Here Joonmoon tries to get a pic but before he snaps it the fish squirms out of his hands.

boys.jpg

I come in for a closer look at the small perch rapala he used to catch the pike in the 12' rental kayak I picked out of their rental fleet.

bdayboy.jpg

They had 2 sit on top style and a tandem sit in kayak as well as this Boreal Design/Kasko yak.

kasko.jpg

It cost $15/h or $40 for a day. I rented it for 2hrs. It had a rudder at the back that came in very handy when paddling upwind and for controlling the angle of the yak while drifting. Behind me you can see a fireman taking his 3yr old daughter and husky fishing in a little 12' tinny. Besides two young guys renting a jon boat, that was all the boat traffic we saw.

skasko.jpg

I caught 2 perch and 2 pike on a 1/16oz jig and grub in yellow. Joonmoon caught 2 crappie on little jig & grubs in dark colours. The Shipper caught 2 pike, a WGSF, a sunfish, a crappie and this largemouth bass. I know it's OOS and frowned upon, but I'm pretty sure this one wasn't doing any spawning yet.

shipbass.jpg

Joonmoon shows off his 11" crappie.

jooncrap.jpg

We left the conservation area at 2:30pm after 3hrs of fishing so I could be back for my daughter's swimming lesson at 4pm. Before I clean and deliver them to the Shipper, Joonmoon's crappies and 1 of my perch pose for a picture in my sink.

3fish.jpg

I hope he enjoyed his fresh birthday fish fry, and remembers that it was made possible by the Sportspal Pirate.

logo.jpg

I won't tell you how old he is, I'll just say he's halfway to 92 even though he looks halfway to 140.

Edited by jediangler

Jedi, I have a Kayak of my own and don't use it as often as I would like. I want to try some kayak fishing, but I'm a little concerned about how to manage all my gear in the kayak. It seems like it would be difficult to land a decent pike with your paddle and rod in the way. The main do you have any tips for me on how to keep the paddle out of the way and keep it form falling in the water while still landing the fish and not dumping?

thanks in advance

by the way nice report!!

fwf

Puckhead the shore fishing is OK but the boat rentals are reasonably priced and will make all the difference. Any worm & bobber set up will keep the panfish hitting for all little anglers. Freshwaterfan you can install a paddle keeper on the side of your yak with bungee cord to keep the paddle out of your way. I just leave it in my lap and a paddle leash attached. I usually just rest my forearms on it to fish.

Guest Johnny Bass

Great report! Great way to spend your birthday! I go fishin every year on my b-day!!!I'm doing it this Saturday for Musky opener!!!!

i fish island lake a few times a year and i gotta tell ya, one of my best largemouth bass's came from there.12 inch pike i think is quite an average down there and tons of panfish.nice little man-made lake . so yeah when bass comes to season i'll head down there.

oh and glad you guys had fun and belated happy birthday