Best method to catch minnows?

Bing

the trick is finding good minnows to trap!! ive recently found a bounty of large shiners that fill my trap in a day its awsome!!. remember about all the laws about transporting minnows around aswell some are crazy but whatever

minnow trap if you cannot see any school of baitfish around...net if you can see some swimming around. I almost always have a supply of bait at home or I go and scope out places so I can catch bait all year long, I hate buying bait :lol: I break up pices of bread and saok them in vanilla extract...pack it into a ball and put in the minnow trap...for the net to help attract minnows, i make a small ball of the same thing and put it in the middle of the net, and use a twist tie to hold it in..get it wet...squeeze all the air and water out so it will sink, then toss in the net and keep an eye on it :Gonefishing:

Whenever I place my traps I tie two of them together (they're cheap) on one rope and chuck them into the water.

It never fails that one trap will always catch more minnows than the other one. It just increases your odds that one trap will be in the preferred

position to attract more minnows. I've just recently moved and set both traps in a little flow of water in a boggy swamp.

One trap pulled 20+ minnows, the other one had 3. I've been using 2 traps on one line for years and was actually showing a C.O. what I caught when he stopped by to see what I was up to.

He didn't say he had any issue with me using 2 traps and said he thought it was a good idea so I'm pretty confident it's legal. Others may differ.

Hookset.

a standard metal trap and bread for me too.

toss it in just about anywhere if you've never done it. you'll be surprised by some of the places that hold healthy minnow populations. My father and i used to trap in a stream no more than 5' wide and 8" deep so, yeah, the top of the trap was exposed sometimes. This was a spot a few miles down an old logging road where we picked blueberries so we generally left it overnight. By morning you couldn't open the trap into halves without minnows overflowing, that's how stuffed it got from this tiny stream.