Battery Charger Problem

Guest Johnny Bass

Guest Johnny Bass

I have a crappy battery charger from Moto master. Trying to charge the battery and it stops at 60%. Could it be the battery? Its a bran new battery!

I brought it back to CT since it has a 5 year guarantee. Gave me a instore credit. Couldn't find anything that charged and boosted so opted to get the same thing but it still wont pass 60% charge.....

May have to go back again and just get the nautilus. Without the booster....

Has anyone else had this problem with CT chargers and does anyone know how to fix it???

Sounds like a bad cell in the battery. Sorry to hear that as these batteries are starting to get expensive.

As far as a battery charger I have heard different problems with different battery chargers (i am referring to on-board chargers). However, I have nothing but good things to say about Cabela's ProSport charger. I have it for about 5 years now and it's been a GREAT asset to my boat.

Yup, sounds like the battery to me too. When you say brand new, how many charges has it had?

I have a nautilus charger, and although it doesn't work as it says its supposed to, it always charges my batteries. It says its supposed to start with a 10A charge, then switch to a 2A charge at 80% charged.......well, it has never gone to a 10A charge......always 2A.......but it always charges it to full.

Sinker

Guest Johnny Bass

Thanks. Its a BPS Battery. Bought it last year. Couldn't have charged it more than 5 times. What is the warranty on those things?

Guest lundboy

It could be sulfated. The Nautilus intelligent deep cycle charger has a desulfation (or equalization) mode, which may bring it back to life.

Edited by lundboy

Guest Johnny Bass
It could be sulfated. The Nautilus intelligent deep cycle charger has a desulfation (or equalization) mode, which may bring it back to life.

Thanks lundboy. I'm going to go and get the nautilus. I seen it for $99.00 and it is an onboard charger. THEN I'm going to BPS. This is a heavy duty battery(deep cycle 185) and should have lasted me a lot longer than 1/2 a season.

Not to hijack a thread, but what should I expect in a heavy-duty deep cycle battery? I bought one last year to run a transom-mount trolling motor, and am wondering how many seasons I might expect before I need a new one.

Mike

With proper care, I have my trailer battery for almost 10 years, (98/02) tag and boat starting battery for about 7 years now. Charge immediately after end of the day use and the best item that everyone should have is a "Battery Minder" from VDC electronics, when my batteries are not in use, they are on the charger.

For JohnnyBass, if you only charged it 5 times since last year, there's the biggest part of you problem, maintenance.

Guest Johnny Bass

Actually this is the first time charging it this year. I xcharged it at least 5 times last year and bought it brand new. And I already have to top it off with fluids??

I have yet to remove the maintenance sticker. Still looking for the BPS bill so I can bring it in and have them tested. I also have a brand new battery from Costco that went toast but I had that one sitting for a few years without charging.

Its all these garbage recycled batteries we are being sold(as new) in my opinion.

Also the battery the boat came in also does not charge past 60% either after 2 seasons.

Thats understandable I guess.

Edited by Johnny Bass

Actually this is the first time charging it this year. I xcharged it at least 5 times last year and bought it brand new. And I already have to top it off with fluids??

I have yet to remove the maintenance sticker. Still looking for the BPS bill so I can bring it in and have them tested. I also have a brand new battery from Costco that went toast but I had that one sitting for a few years without charging.

Its all these garbage recycled batteries we are being sold(as new) in my opinion.

Also the battery the boat came in also does not charge past 60% either after 2 seasons.

Thats understandable I guess.

Take the battery to CTC, they do a free load test. From what you have described and admitted to and then claiming "recycled garbage batteries", I would say you don't take care of your kit, so your kit won't take care of you. To bad, so sad, go spend some more money on batteries, quit complaining. :whistling:

Yep, this sounds more like battery neglect more than anything. You can't expect a battery that has sat somewhere all WINTER long to now perform like one that was on maintenance charge during the off season.

If this is the way you will be taking care of future batteries purchased, then buy the cheapest ones you can find.

Guest Johnny Bass
Take the battery to CTC, they do a free load test. From what you have described and admitted to and then claiming "recycled garbage batteries", I would say you don't take care of your kit, so your kit won't take care of you. To bad, so sad, go spend some more money on batteries, quit complaining. :whistling:

Are you kidding me? Don't take care of my battery? I wasn't aware that a brand new battery needs maintenance! When I spend money and get a crappy product, you bet I'll complain.

What maintenance should a battery receive after only 5 charges? And I took the battery inside over the winter and kept it on a wooden shelf up high.Maybe I should have kept it by the furnace. :rolleyes:

If I find the bill fine. If not, that is the last battery I am buying from BPS.

Are you kidding me? Don't take care of my battery? I wasn't aware that a brand new battery needs maintenance! When I spend money and get a crappy product, you bet I'll complain.

What maintenance should a battery receive after only 5 charges? And I took the battery inside over the winter and kept it on a wooden shelf up high.Maybe I should have kept it by the furnace. :rolleyes:

Brand new tings need maintenance too, so if you're not, but, get married, pay attention. Maintenance! Otherwise she'll throw you out as a bad choice.

Guest Johnny Bass
if it is your battery, it should have the month and year the battery was sold on the battery and they may give you money back based on the sold date if the battery is no good.

Will do. Thanks Mike.

Maybe they can explain to me what kind of maintenance a brand new battery needs after only 5 charges. And this is the jumbo battery for extra long life.

Guest Johnny Bass

OK. I finally took off the sticker, and the water levels are VERY LOW. Do I fill it to the top?(I will charge it first and then top it off). Also I read you cant use tap water, so is bottled water OK or does it have to say distilled?

I have a 10/2 amp CTC automatic charger and I don't trust it anymore. (I had one before w/ same problems)

I will no longer use it on automatic mode. My first one cooked a battery on automatic.

The one I have now would not fully charge my deep cycle or my lawn mower battery on automatic. I thought it might be my deep cycle battery at first, but it will take a full charge on the manual setting. I certainly don't trust the gauge on the front, it jumps all over the place. My next charger will NOT be a CTC model. I am looking at an onboard charger to get away from removing the deep cycle for my trolling motor every day. Andy

Guest lundboy
OK. I finally took off the sticker, and the water levels are VERY LOW. Do I fill it to the top?(I will charge it first and then top it off). Also I read you cant use tap water, so is bottled water OK or does it have to say distilled?

JB, you should used distilled or de-ionized water only.

This link will tell you everything you need to know (just click the subjects on the left). Hopefully you can resurect the battery and not have to dispose of it. (if you do, remember to get your core credit when you buy a new one)

http://www.schumacherproducts.com/applications

If you need to get a new charger, I strongly suggest you obtain one of these:

http://store.schumachermart.com/battery-chargers-marine.html

(Schumacher OEMs these for MinnKota)

Edited by lundboy

DON"T fill it to the top! Fill to the line, when you look down into the hole you will see what looks like a cat's eye. When you have filled the cell to this point that is enough.

BTW, many on the board swear that they use just regular tap water and haven't reported any problems. I have used my dehumidifier water for the past few years. Also keep an eye on your car's battery's water level too by checking it periodically. They are not as sealed as you think they are. At least twice a year I have to add water to both of mine.

Edited by pikehunter

If I find the bill fine. If not, that is the last battery I am buying from BPS.

Relax, I had 3 boats over 12 years. I used nothing but Costco (kirkland) batteries. I have never had a problem with them. No you are not neglecting your battery, actually to me it sounds like you bought a lemon. Bring it back to BPS, and buy something else. To stay on the safe side, chage you batter every month on the off season. I have a 9 year old kirkland thats still kicking.

Don't take thing personal on here.

Daniel

Up until recently I worked for 5 years as a technician in the cleaning equipment industry where battery operated scrubbers needed service. 99% of the time when the batteres failed it was due to improper maintenance.

The #1 cause of failed batteries is allowing them to sit in a state of discharge for ANY amount of time. The longer the time, the worse the sulfation (hardening of chemical causing it to adhere to the plates). Even a brand new battery that has been fully discharged only once can sulfate. It is imperative that batteries are fully charged after every use (as mentioned earlier in this thread). If you do this.......your batteries will last you a very long time.

Oh and to answer your question....bottled water is not okay. It must be distilled. If you don't have distilled, boil water for 10 minutes, allow it to cool and then fill your batteries. Boiling the water will remove any impurities and reduce the chance of sulfation.

HG