Is my $10 fishing kit from walmart any good?

YUMMYAPPLE

I read your other post, and if all you are going for is panfish from shore then it's fine. I started out with a stick I found on the ground, fishing line, a bobber and a hook and fished from docks as a kid. If you start targeting and hooking into larger fish, you'll want to invest in a better setup....because once they are big enough to pull drag, you'll want a reel that can handle it and a longer rod to keep tension on the fish as you are bringing it in.

If you like push button reels, Zebco has a kit that includes their famous metal 33 reel.

I have also seen several Shimano open face spinning reel kits that looked like they were good value.

You might want to pass up anything that features Sponge Bob or Barbie on the package...grin.

Try and read up on fishing and spend a few more bucks on a halfway decent combo from WalMart or Cdn Tire. If you plan on doing much fishing, that cheapy combo won't last too long but it's better than nothing. Some bobbers, small hooks and some worms and you'll be good to go for perch, crappie, rock bass and the like.

I just came back from the Dominican Republic and saw one dude fishing the beach at night with about 30 feet of line, coke bottle bobber and a hook with some shrimp on it. Lasoo'd the rig into some reef and not one minute later brought in a silver fish. Just goes to show, can't catch if you don't try. Anything will do ya. We all started small at one point.

reefrunner

I used an outfit like that when I was 6 or 7. We were camping on Marks Island at Barrys Bay and I was fishing for panfish when a 14 inch smallmouth grabbed my worm. The whole ensemble underwent spontaneous existance failure. I only managed to catch the fish by hand lining it in. Some of the things that will be improved by buying a better kit. Get rid of spincast. They dont cast very well and are notorious for tangled line inside the spool and for not picking up line when you turn the handle. Try a quantum quick cast system Im not a big fan of the company but the system is great for beginners learning how to use spinning gear.

If you are unsure about the set up. I picked up a Zebco UL spinning outfit from the fishing for Tyler event auction that I can pass up...as the proceeds went to charity. Free of charge. Just gotta pick it up. I'm in Mississauga. PM me if your interested.

reefrunner

My dad is not much of a fisher, i got him a 6'6 Spinning Combo at WallMart. Abu Garcia good brand and about $30. I'm pretty sure every angler starts up with a combo like this. .....$10 geeze a typical Rapala lure costs that, look around on the uppershelves and look for a rod and reel not in a plastic package. :D

Im warning you once you get into the sport your $$ are spent on nothing but fishing, and beleive me every year when i stock up on lost bait's softplastics etc... it can cost me from $100-$300. :blink:

Edited by Mike The Bass Fisher

It's fine to start off with, but dont expect quality or a long "life expectancy," especially if it is being used frequently

1-5 days per year - $20

5-10 days per year - 30-40 bucks

10-20 days per year - 40-80 bucks

20-50 days per year- 80-200 bucks

50 days per year - 200 bucks

I figure thats a good starting point, personally I fish over 100 days a year, and it costs me more than 10 bucks in line for each spool (which I re-spool several times per season)

You might want to pass up anything that features Sponge Bob or Barbie on the package...grin.

Actually the 'Sponge Bob' or 'Barbie' rod and reels aren't that bad.

I put slightly lighter line on my young daughters and it works like a dream.

For sunfish, perch etc...

ehg

I have a Spincast Ready2Fish Spincast set. Looks like this?

21yOoCtKibL._AA160_.jpg

Is this any good for a beginner or should I get a better one, and why?

thank you

That's almost the same me and my gf (she only fishes a lil bit tho) started out with... it was like $12 from CanTire. We used them for a few weeks and I gave them away to some kids online (FreeCycle.org).

I then bought a Mitchell spinning combo, on sale in CanTire @ $35 from $60-70-ish... and after 2 weeks the rod tip broke while I set-hook on a "BIG" 8-inch bass <_< . Refunded that one... bought another more expensive Mitchell (Outfitter something) combo on sale @45 from $90. It lasted for 1 season of average use... and the rod broke again when I got snagged. STAY AWAY from those Mitchell rods! :wallbash::blahblah1:

Ended up buying an 7' Ugly stick for $60 I think (no reel) and put on the old reel from the broken Mitchell ... so far so good.

I say you get an Ugly Stick combo for under $50.00. Then you can tell your freinds that you got that fish with an ugly stick and confuse them...

I have a Spincast Ready2Fish Spincast set. Looks like this?

21yOoCtKibL._AA160_.jpg

Is this any good for a beginner or should I get a better one, and why?

thank you

Are the sinkers in it made out of that nerve/brain killing lead sinkers? If so, get another kit or better yet put together a kit, too bad there is no faq here on a basic kit. Why, because fishing is for men:

-chart on fishing knots

-2 slip bobbers. I guess you could get those spring loaded ones, the wood ones, not the plastic ones

-1 package of slip bobber stoppers/beads...this is one type: http://www.enticertackle.com/index.php?categoryID=9; cant remember the other better type

-1 package of swivels

-1 package of mixed snelled hooks (those CTC starter packs are good)

-1 mixed amount of non-lead split-shots

-1 bag of white gulp grub twister tails, put a split-shot at the top so it looks like a jig

-1 nail clipper (for cutting line)

-1 el-cheapo CTC multi tool

-a couple of popular rapala hard baits($16 total)

-1 dozen worms

-1 bag of patience

for a rod:

-have a good drag

-if its panfish and bass get a light 5ft rod combo ($40 or so or more?) and put 6lb line on it....its way more fun..

-for larger pike, carp get a medium action rod and put 12 or 14lb line on it. spend $15 for floro-carbon leader material

thats my 2 cents

forrest

Edited by forrest

Back in the day when my daughters were young it was the barbie rod or the purple dinosaur rod!

You'll probably want to invest in something a bit higher in quality. Over the long run, it'll probably be more economical anyway. The great thing about this sport is that you can make it as cheap or as expensive as you want to. My fishing partner uses one set-up all season, every season ....telescoping Shimano Exage rod, Stradic reel and PowerPro line with split shot, lighted Panasonic float and size 2 Gamakatsu octopus hooks. He's the prototypical minimalist, no lures, nothing fancy, not even a landing net. He's managed to consistently land 6-7lb bass, 10+lb walleye and the occasional pike/musky every season with nothing but this setup. The only money he ever spends is on hooks and gas. Granted, the set-up's not that cheap (the floats alone are $20), but it goes to show that quality lasts and simplicity is versatile. I, on the other hand, have spent over $600 on fishing tackle this year and have not caught any more fish. So, just be warned what you're getting into. Fishing is a sport that can be heavy on the wallet, and people like my fishing partner are the exception more than the rule. But I digress. Go and spend some decent money and get yourself a set-up that will give you good service for a few seasons.

Edited by WalleyeMD