Glen and Rob's Georgian Bay Adventure's

kickingfrog

Last Saturday Glen made a generous offer for me to go fishing with him. We tried an area that neither of us had fished before. A sunny day on some Georgian Bay inner bays meant lots of water covered but no fish. We had a few follows from some pike but no fish in the boat. Glen was determined to pull a fish out of this area so we went back this Saturday. Better fishing weather, cloudy and rainy, if we don't get a fish I may never get another offer to go fishing from Glen. We hit some promising looking bays casting for pike, nothing. We decide to troll a small area between an island and the mainland that had some current and some good looking bottom features. The run down current made for some tricky boat handling to keep the deep diving baits working at a fish enticing wobble. Finally, a hit and there is a fish on my line. It feels nice and solid, but I'm using a new rod so I'm not sure of the size of the fish. As it gets to the boat the fish reveals its self to be a 3lb smallmouth that is now foul hooked on my wally diver. A quick turn of the pliers by Glen and the fish is headed back to the depths. While disappointed in a fish not in season we at least felt some confidence again that we were fishing an area that held fish. We decided to take a pass back up current. Not long after getting the lines out and running Glen has a hit and the fight is on. After a few head shakes he thinks he has a nice walleye on and as the fish nears the boat we see that familiar golden hew. We land the fish and take a picture.

Glen's 21 inch Walleye:

IMGP0262-1.jpg

Now we're ready to go. The lines are set again and we get ready to make some more passes through our new fishin' hole. We go a pass and a half before Glen has another fish on. There is a lot more bend in his rod and after a good battle we see that his chartreuse/firetiger deep tail dancer has fooled a nice pike in the 12-13 pound range. Since it was raining hard I didn't want to pull out the camera so no photo. The next pass I finally get a fish on again. A nice fight ensues but as the fish gets closer to the boat it starts heading for the surface and sure enough I've got another smallmouth on. This time I lip it, turn the hooks out and release it. After a number of passes with no hits we decide to move on. We explore a few new more spots and try one from the week before that had a big fish. Nothing. We cast one more spot on the way back the boat ramp and Glen has a hit from a smaller pike. It is no match for someone who has tamed bigger fish in the day. A short fight and the 4-5 pound fish is back in the water and we're on our way home.

It feels good to go back and pull some fish out of an area that had skunked us the week before. Now if I could just get one that was in season...