Whitefish in Nippissing?

Guest Johnny Bass

Guest Johnny Bass

Just wondering. I recall seeing whitefish caught (from shore!)in Callander bay. On the may 24 weekend if not mistaken.

My question is? There must be whitefish in Callander bay. Are they worth targeting in Callander bay at this time of year, and what depth would they be at???

Guest Johnny Bass
I don't know the specifics on catching them, but I believe the creel limit is 12/day.... so there must be a fair amount of them in there!

Thanks for your input GCD. I dont think I can ever recall anyone jigging for them but they must be in there. Just not sure if they are in Callander bay.

I don't know the specifics on catching them, but I believe the creel limit is 12/day.... so there must be a fair amount of them in there!

There are also limits for trout and salmon for the lake...sure, they have been caught in the past but I wouldn't say there are any numbers.

We catch whitefish in the bay through the ice. Not many target them in the summer, but yes they are there.

Guest Johnny Bass
There are also limits for trout and salmon for the lake...sure, they have been caught in the past but I wouldn't say there are any numbers.

We catch whitefish in the bay through the ice. Not many target them in the summer, but yes they are there.

Thanks. I'll give it a try. I guess I'll go to the deepest section and jig a bit. Maybe I'll catch a few Pickeral in the process. I may also ask the locals for some feed back and see what they say.

I figured with a liberal limit of 12 compared to the 2/day limit on Simcoe that there should be a fair amount of them.

I caught a whitety last year late in june. Been fishing Nippissing for over 10 years and that's my only one. Never really targeted them though. Then again I never target for sheephead and there's days you can't keep them off your line!

Scooter :wallbash:

I live in North Bay and fish Lake Nipissing all the time. I have never caught one during the soft-water season. I would think that if you were going to find them during the summer they would be suspended off some sort of deep structure. If you are fishing from shore in Callander Bay, I doubt that you would catch any...but I could be wrong.

On a side note, the Callander town dock is a great place to catch walleye, pike and sheepshead right now. If you are stuck on shore, that would be a good place to try. If I can help you with anything else, let me know

Mike

On a side note, the Callander town dock is a great place to catch walleye, pike and sheepshead right now. If you are stuck on shore, that would be a good place to try. If I can help you with anything else, let me know

Mike

I'd suggest waiting until Saturday :whistling:

QUOTE(Mike01 @ May 15 2008, 04:45 PM)

Mike

I'd suggest waiting until Saturday

Why :wacko: Get a jump on the crowd. :rolleyes:

Listen to Cory. This time.LOL

Guest Johnny Bass
I live in North Bay and fish Lake Nipissing all the time. I have never caught one during the soft-water season. I would think that if you were going to find them during the summer they would be suspended off some sort of deep structure. If you are fishing from shore in Callander Bay, I doubt that you would catch any...but I could be wrong.

Mike

Thanks guys. Mike. I have seen a whitefish caught right in front of my eyes from Darling harbour in Callander. But its the only one. I've also seen a silver bass caught, night fishing. And I also caught a herring on a husky jerk off the government dock in North bay.

But if you have never caught a whitefish, than there cant really be that many.

I wonder if pickeral will also hit williams whitefish jigging in deep water??

As far as the locals? I know a few of them, and I will also go to Billy Bob's bait shop and see if he has anymore info. The only time they look at you strange is when you release a pickeral in front of their eyes. Its like gold to those people up there.

I have a boat, so I will probably give it a short try if I get some positive feed back. But from what I have already heard? It doesn't look good.

Guest Johnny Bass
Long May weekend, and from shore, my guess is they were silver bass.

Could have been but I know the difference and so does everyone up there and I coulda sworn it was a whitefish. But you never know....

Last year we were catching whitefish in 2-4ft of water right tight to shore. (Different body of water.) They were in shallow feeding on mayflies. A white power grub was the ticket to catching them. No reason imo why the same could happen there. :Gonefishing:

Guest Johnny Bass
May flies aren't hatching here yet

It may have been during a may fly hatch. I really cant recall. But when Callander has a mayfly hatch? The entire doc is literally covered with those buggers. Lamp posts and all. Sometimes I eat a few of them.lol